How good of a keyboard player are you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evanb

How good of a keyboard player are you?

Post by evanb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

So I have been wondering the best way to attack the learn processing here. I will admit I had no interest in learning piano, but now with electronic music production its obviously something I need to do.

I am curious how many out there are good players how many don't even really know how to play much but get by.

What is the best thing to focus on when starting out? I am not currently taking any lessons so just trying to figure the best way to utilize my non-keyboard skills for my production right now

Any tips are welcomed

SubFunk

Re: How good of a keyboard player are you?

Post by SubFunk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:19 pm

a bad one.
*** Image GAFM ***

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 pm

horrible over here.

but by looping and slowly adding bits (and using UNDO a ton) sometimes I sound slightly less horrible

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm

making an effort to try and be a better one over here. I'm not really satisfied with the limitations of my ability and fixing it in the studio. I want to be able to rock shit out live at any time and have it be GOOD.

evanb

Post by evanb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

So are you guys just relying on arpeggiators?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:38 pm

personally i happen to be the MOST amazing terrible keyboard player that exists.

remember you're playing "keys" NOT piano. More specifically, "synth"... pads, leads, basses, arps all get played a bit different.

I'd focus on understanding chord inversions, and playing your C major scale with confidence.

So, you can just always play in the key of C (all white keys) and use pitch plugin to change what key you're in, and the scale plugin to go major/minor or whatev. As you're fingers and mind get comfortable with one key, i think it can be easier to start addin stuff.

also trying stacking a bunch of different arps on one channel, and turn certain ones off for different sections. It can be way fun and a cool randomish but predictably cool sound.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:44 pm

evanb wrote:So are you guys just relying on arpeggiators?
Nah, I usually will decide what key I am playing in and the chord/notes that fit it, and put together a melody badly, then record it and either fix by sliding stuff around in the midi note editor or delete notes and punch them in one at a time.

poodleface

Post by poodleface » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Jekblad wrote:I'd focus on understanding chord inversions, and playing your C major scale with confidence.

So, you can just always play in the key of C (all white keys) and use pitch plugin to change what key you're in, and the scale plugin to go major/minor or whatev. As you're fingers and mind get comfortable with one key, i think it can be easier to start addin stuff.
+1

This is how I taught myself to play keyboards. I basically started by learning the simplest way to voice a C major chord (root, 3rd, 5th) and becoming comfortable with playing it in these three variations:

CEG (root on bottom)
EGC (3rd on bottom)
GCE (5th on bottom)

Once you learn these for most of the basic chords in the key of C [C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am), then the transitions between chords gets a lot easier, and the relationships between them starts to make sense (you quickly learn that the difference between a C major chord and an Am chord is just one note: CEG (root on bottom) -> CEA (3rd on bottom) ).

Later, you can start learning 7th chords and different keys. I remember being quite pleased with myself once I became comfortable playing the black keys, though this took a while.

Learning a little basic music theory will help with this, obviously. I do mean little... you really don't need to know too much, just the differences between major and minor chords and scales to start with so you can figure out what you are playing.

I might add that when classically trained piano players see me playing, they wince at my obvious lack of technique, since I hold my fingers entirely wrong. It's certainly enough to get by and compose, though.
  1. Search for "poodleface" on YouTube.
  2. See Ric Flair rap.
  3. ROFL

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 pm

I am terrible. I just play the black keys. You can't hit a wrong note in the pentatonic scale.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm

This is a predominately electronic forum, i'm sure we all suck and use the amazing technology we have to make us sound awesome.

I can play a bit, but i'm no virtuoso.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm

arachnaut wrote:I am terrible. I just play the black keys. You can't hit a wrong note in the pentatonic scale.

steve angello would agree

eco

Post by eco » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

I don't know if you saw this video before but I've watched this countless times over the years, even he had minor mistakes but it makes you want to learn, he was very old as well....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm fortunate enough to have a very talented Keyboard player available for my studio sessions. :D
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:56 pm

when it comes to piano..i suck balls...

pads and strings were really easy for me to pick up and write melodies to.

trilogy bass module sounds have made me sound like an awesome bassist.

I love the tone of the fender rhodes so i will just try note variations out to see what i can do.

worst comes to worst, i will chop a loop up and play it chord by chord and just rearrange the sequence.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Human Koala

Post by Human Koala » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 pm

i'm trying not to think about it
all my trax turn around the same scale learned 10 years ago ( from playing over a trax of herbie hancock)
sometimes i'm adding variation
the only problem i can't repeat twice something done so .... :oops: :oops: :oops:

HK