Is this how most of you use EQ when DJing w/ Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cenik11

Is this how most of you use EQ when DJing w/ Live?

Post by cenik11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:48 am

As a newbie to DJing with Live, I am trying to figure out the easiest method for mixing two tracks together. Specifically, I am curious about the use of EQs. Would you say that the most common method for DJing with Live is the following?

-Two channels (one for track A, one for track B)
-put an instance of EQ3 on each channel
-divide the freq spectrum into low, mid, and highs for each of the EQs
-when mixing track B into track A, cut off the lows completely from track B and when the time is right bring the lows of track B all the way up and the lows of track A all the way down (this is done very quickly)

I may be completely off the mark here so please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks!

base615

Re: Is this how most of you use EQ when DJing w/ Live?

Post by base615 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 am

I actually route my audio tracks into 2 return tracks which go to 2 channels on the mixer and use the mixer for eq rather than EQ3.

That said, the mix you described would work for some tracks but not for others. A set would sound pretty boring if you only mix in one way. Your best bet is to play around with different mixes and see what works well for different tracks.

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

How are others mixing their racks in Live (w/o the use of an external mixer in particular)?

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Ive tried to make my live template as flexible as possible, so i use a return channel approach too, with only minimal eq controls on each individual track (generally just a midi controlled gate and a stereo/mono utility chain). Tracks can either feed directly into the submix return channel (some gentle compession on the bass and an exciter on the highs, with a limiter at the end), or into one of two pathways, containing a molar-sampler, beat chopping with beatrepeat and automata, delay, pitch shifter, formant filter, then an eg four using tarekiths xone preset (lows,mid-lows,mid-highs,highs) and a final high/lowpass sweep filter. Each of these two pathways then feed into an instance of vocoder on the opposite pathway, then on to a side-chained compression controlled by the other channel (to balance out competing frequencies), and then out through the submix channel to the master. The master has an eq8 on the end, after my headphone/monitor/record out, so that i can treat any room/pa acoustic issues without compromising the balance of the recording...
i drop on the lokeymassive