Sneak peek at Max for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatpoet

Sneak peek at Max for Live

Post by beatpoet » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Looks good so far.

http://www.modulatethis.com/2009/04/max ... tlook.html

I like the Buffer Shuffler

macmurphy

Re: Sneak peek at Max for Live

Post by macmurphy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm wiping the drool from my chin right now.
I'm also intrigued by this Max for Live thing...

Seriously though, this is looking very cool.

shai

Post by shai » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:23 pm

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:01 pm

beatpoet - Thanks for the post!
shai wrote:nothing new though http://www.ableton.com/extend
Your correct in that they didn't show any new "shipping" devices in presentation I saw. The post does discuss a custom device that was built on-the-fly - a one oscillator synth, an OSC device. I go beyond the info provided in the ableton link as I offer notes from the demos I saw as well as some insight into the benefits of Max for Live over just Max.

Let me just say that I was also quite excited to see the whole thing actually running for real (as opposed to just seeing images in a marketing page). It really works, it really is real-time, and patching through to Live itself is amazingly simple. You've basically got a great device editor that can link directly to the same API that Live's developers are using meaning you could create a knob, slider, button... that can control just about anything in Live. Plus you get access all of Live's processing routines (MIDI, Save file, automation...) so you can focus on building devices, not house-keeping routines.

The other encouraging news is that the Cycling '74 developer who presented was a musician/sound designer and was often using Live as an artist when he demoed - not just an academic exercise in development.

Mark
http://www.twitter.com/markmosher
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

PhunkBeat

Post by PhunkBeat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Hope you have some hot information in the future ! i will use Max for Live as a Tool and Gear Box for the APC 40 and some crazy Applications.
I don`t think that i can programm my own Stuff ! :oops:

chris
MacBook,Ableton Live 8, Fast Track Pro,Oxygene 8v2,Reason,Recycle

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm

PhunkBeat wrote:Hope you have some hot information in the future ! i will use Max for Live as a Tool and Gear Box for the APC 40 and some crazy Applications.

chris
I think the beauty of Max for Live is there will be cool devices being created. So no need to program to make use of it, just grab devices. Sort of like collecting VSTs. I too look forward to APC40 integration.

It's a good year for Live users to be sure!

Mark
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:11 pm

I won't be excited about this until I see some of the stuff you people build. At the moment I haven't hit any brick walls with Live on it's own.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:00 pm

it looks like there is already a growing selection of devices prepared for M4L. I guess by the time of release there will be a device library interesting enough for everyone, so even if you don't want to make things yourself it should be plenty of fun.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 pm

im excited for the buffer thing and the loop doo dad. Like, REAL excited.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 pm

nice post!! this is gonna be GREAT!

the people who are intimidated by using max/msp should watch that video, it can be quite simple.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

It can be as simple or complex as you make it. I predict there will be some immensely useful devices that will be created that will also be dead simple. I for one won't be creating "Operator 2.0" anytime soon, but there are some highly specialized patches I have that I can't wait to port into M4L devices.
Unsound Designer

PhunkBeat

Post by PhunkBeat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Newecho wrote:
PhunkBeat wrote:Hope you have some hot information in the future ! i will use Max for Live as a Tool and Gear Box for the APC 40 and some crazy Applications.

chris
I think the beauty of Max for Live is there will be cool devices being created. So no need to program to make use of it, just grab devices. Sort of like collecting VSTs. I too look forward to APC40 integration.

It's a good year for Live users to be sure!

Mark
At Musikmesse Frankfurt, i had the chance to test the APC 40 in action, and well, what sould i say, its amazing how Live 8 becomes hands on.....
Can`t wait for it !!!
MacBook,Ableton Live 8, Fast Track Pro,Oxygene 8v2,Reason,Recycle

leonard

Post by leonard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 pm

According to Darwin, Jitter will work with Max for Live but is very CPU intensive. It will also require a full Max License.
a bit disappointing i suppose. does this mean that those with only the maxforlive license will not be able to open jitter patches from someone who has the full max license?
???

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 am

leonard wrote:
According to Darwin, Jitter will work with Max for Live but is very CPU intensive. It will also require a full Max License.
a bit disappointing i suppose. does this mean that those with only the maxforlive license will not be able to open jitter patches from someone who has the full max license?
Seems like a strange limitation- I can't quite see the logic in this yet.

I can't answer your question, but it does seem that this is another situation for little more than idle speculation :x

My guess is that maxforlive users will be able to use things made with Jitter, just not code with them. The situation be becomes a bit of an appetite stirrer for more people to purchase more software.

Speculation, yay.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:48 am

Remember that as of Max 5 there is no longer an option to have Max without MSP and the only packages they offer are the MaxMSP minus Jitter package and the full MaxMSP+Jitter package. So it make sense that this would carry over to the way M4L works. I doubt M4L users will be able to "play not patch" as the Jitter objects would most likely be disabled if they did not have the full Max 5 license (from what that page says).
Unsound Designer