what's being played in the clubs now??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nuxnamon

what's being played in the clubs now??

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:31 am

hi all,

I don't really go clubbin' any more but I still want to know what's popping in the clubs besides the usual commercial stuff I hear on the radio.. I just want to know what people digging now and any new creative stuff I don't hear in the radio.. I know it depends on who's Djing but I've been to places where the Dj sucks, but as soon as he puts that new hot track, nobody cares anymore and he's the hero.. Any good websites?
Last edited by nuxnamon on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

onehandstand

Re: what's being played in the clubs now??

Post by onehandstand » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

last week I saw this guy http://www.myspace.com/jamievexd
it was really good!
-k

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 am

Depends whos playing :roll:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 pm

funky shit wrote:Depends whos playing :roll:
yup!
*** Image GAFM ***

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 pm

nuxnamon wrote:I've been to places where the Dj sucks, but as soon as he puts that new hot track, nobody cares anymore and he's the hero.

The idea is not to go clubbing to hear "that new hot track" but to find it before the sucky DJ's do and milk it for all it's worth... If you're hearing it in a club you're too late and it's time to look for the next thing.

Search and ye shall find!! :D
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

necho

Post by necho » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm pretty disillusioned with "club" music at the moment....

some dubstep is ok, but I don't ingest enough skunk/horse tranquilizers to understand it. I'm quite disappointed with the genre generally... when I first heard a few tracks I was quite interested (being a massive dub freak) but a lot of it seems pretty half-arsed.

some of my mates are into minimal techno, but its a pretty stupid genre if you ask me... and I'm allergic to 4/4 beats.

breaks seems to have morphed into electro-h*use

and I'm completely bored of dnb.

maybe I should just come to terms with the fact that I've become a wanky IDM glitch mathcore twat. :)

Here's a thought - is a "genre" just a bunch of people remixing one person's idea? Does the diversity and distribution potential of the internet mean that "genres" have had their day? Am I just getting old and bitter?

I dunno.
_________
sigs suck.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Deadmua5

Glitch Mob

/list

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Minimal Justice System said: " The idea is not to go clubbing to hear "that new hot track" but to find it before the sucky DJ's do and milk it for all it's worth... If you're hearing it in a club you're too late and it's time to look for the next thing.

Search and ye shall find!!"

+1. If you don't know where to find the hottest and newest, you're just out of the game. (too old, too new, too lazy).

Gecho said, "I'm allergic to 4/4 beats."

It's okay. I'm pretty sure House Music finds you equally distasteful. :x

Kick Drums Not People.

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:28 pm

the prob i am finding with much of the hyped e-produced music is that a lot of songs are one cool loop - looped too many times with nothing more than maybe a few random samples or effects thrown on top like sprinkle cheese on a pizza.

and that a lot of work lacks depth, emotion and development. i'm all for the party tunes but when i'm not partying i need works that speak to me. or sometimes it sounds like people are trying too hard to be different instead of just letting the music flow out them like a deep breath. i come from a background of punk, goth, ambient, jazz, classical, industrial having had hundreds of vinyls in my collection, going back to the early 90s.

one of the things i dream about a lot is finding new artists whose work makes me want to buy it. i WANT to give them my money.
there are good artists out there but it has been quite a time-consuming effort to find new inspiring ones.

ok maybe this didn't quite fit in this topic but i'm sure some of yous guys understand my sentiments.
~ Female vocalist meets chthonic glitcherie ~
https://sealtlab.bandcamp.com/album/s20 ... erzglimmer

mbp 13". 10.11.6. L10.1.x suite. microphone. sony d100. scrap metal. push 2. livid code. blofeld. et al.

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Minimal Justice System wrote:The idea is not to go clubbing to hear "that new hot track" but to find it before the sucky DJ's do and milk it for all it's worth... If you're hearing it in a club you're too late and it's time to look for the next thing.

Search and ye shall find!! :D
Of course if you're the dj in the club, and you drop "that hot new track"- then it's cool :wink:

Seems like the dj has become a glorified blog downloader. New tracks sure, but not at the expense of good music.

Over here it depends on the dj/club. But for the most part you'll hear retro, hip-hop, and house. These days, there is no "one" thing you'll hear in the clubs. With everyone downloading specific to their tastes and not using traditional retail outlets, you'll get as many hardened opinions on what's "best" as there are high speed internet connections.

The ease of programming beats and publishing them has created a heap of subpar music. More and more, it's the djs task to sift through all this junk to find something worthwhile. It is ridiculously time consuming.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

necho

Post by necho » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm

ChiDJ wrote: Gecho said, "I'm allergic to 4/4 beats."

T-
Oh man - I was just expressing an opinion.... I didn't even say 4/4 beats suck. (its a matter of taste)

I guess I really am too old - this place is like a teen social networking site sometimes.

Heed your own advice, my friend - kick drums not people.

[sigh]
_________
sigs suck.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:00 pm

to the op: London plays dubstep, Berlin minimal, and everything is heading towards house. Thats whats being played. So hybrid stuff between those three movements is whats currently considered the edge.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:01 pm

necho wrote:
ChiDJ wrote: Gecho said, "I'm allergic to 4/4 beats."

T-
Oh man - I was just expressing an opinion.... I didn't even say 4/4 beats suck. (its a matter of taste)

I guess I really am too old - this place is like a teen social networking site sometimes.

Heed your own advice, my friend - kick drums not people.

[sigh]
Holmes,

That wasn't a kick. It was just a light brush on the snare drum. Toughen up.
:D
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Grappadura wrote:to the op: London plays dubstep, Berlin minimal, and everything is heading towards house. Thats whats being played. So hybrid stuff between those three movements is whats currently considered the edge.
actually not far off, berlin is heading shurely more and more towards groovy sort-a-deephouse borrowing DnB, dubstep sounds... i quite like it. but it was about time... you get sick (thick for the english :) ) from only minimal.
*** Image GAFM ***

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:11 pm

wonky