BAN ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS IN EU - VOTE NOW !

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Kodama

Re: BAN ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS IN EU - VOTE NOW !

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Kodama wrote: "A U.N. report from just this past November found that a full 18% of global warming emissions come from raising chickens, turkeys, pigs, and other animals for food. That's about 40% more than all the cars, trucks, airplanes, and all other forms of transport combined (13%). It's also more than all the homes and offices in the world put together (8%)."

Link?
From the wikipedia entry (notice that the dispute comes from the meat industry):

Livestock's Long Shadow
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Livestock's Long Shadow - Environmental Issues and Option
Author Henning Steinfeld, Pierre Gerber, Tom Wassenaar, Vincent Castel, Mauricio Rosales, Cees de Haan.
Language English
Genre(s) Agriculture
Environment
Publisher Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Publication date 2006
Media type book
website
Pages 390 pp
ISBN ISBN 9251055718

Livestock's Long Shadow - Environmental Issues and Options is a United Nations report, released by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) on 29 November 2006,[1] that "aims to assess the full impact of the livestock sector on environmental problems, along with potential technical and policy approaches to mitigation".[1]

The assessment was based 'on the most recent and complete data available, taking into account direct impacts, along with the impacts of feed crop agriculture required for livestock production. The report states that the livestock sector is one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global. The findings of this report suggest that it should be a major policy focus when dealing with problems of land degradation, climate change and air pollution, water shortage and water pollution, and loss of biodiversity.

Based on this report, senior U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization official Dr. Henning Steinfeld stated that the meat industry is “one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems" and that "urgent action is required to remedy the situation."[2]

Following a Life Cycle Analysis approach, the report evaluates "that livestock are responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, a bigger share than that of transport."[3]. GHG emissions arise from feed production (eg chemical fertilizer production, deforestation for pasture and feed crops, cultivation of feed crops, feed transport and soil organic matter losses in pastures and feed crops), animal production (eg enteric fermentation and methane and nitrous oxide emissions from manure) and as a result of the transportation of animal products. Following this approach the report estimates that livestock contributes to about 9% of total anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions, but 37% of methane and 65% of nitrous oxide emissions. Along the animal food chain, main sources of emissions are:

-- land use and land use change: 2.5 Giga tonnes CO2 equivalent; including forest and other natural vegetation replaced by pasture and feed crop in the Neotropics (CO2) and carbon release from soils such as pasture and arable land dedicated to feed production (CO2)
-- feed Production (except carbon released from soil): 0.4 Giga tonnes CO2 equivalent, including fossil fuel used in manufacturing chemical fertilizer for feed crops (CO2) and chemical fertilizer application on feedcrops and leguminous feed crop (N2O, NH3)
-- animal production: 1.9 Giga tonnes CO2 equivalent, including enteric fermentation from ruminants (CH4) and on-farm fossil fuel use (CO2)
-- manure Management: 2.2 Giga tonnes CO2 equivalent, mainly through manure storage, application and deposition (CH4, N2O, NH3)
-- processing and international transport: 0.03 Giga tonnes CO2 equivalent
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Babalazarou wrote:mmmmm Bacon.
A UN report
......well that must be fact then.

So the solution to global warming must be "slaughter all the animals"

Stat

Or stop breeding them.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?N ... nvironment

Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns

29 November 2006 – Cattle-rearing generates more global warming greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent, than transportation, and smarter production methods, including improved animal diets to reduce enteric fermentation and consequent methane emissions, are urgently needed, according to a new United Nations report released today.

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,” senior UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) official Henning Steinfeld said. “Urgent action is required to remedy the situation.”

Cattle-rearing is also a major source of land and water degradation, according to the FAO report, Livestock’s Long Shadow–Environmental Issues and Options, of which Mr. Steinfeld is the senior author.

“The environmental costs per unit of livestock production must be cut by one half, just to avoid the level of damage worsening beyond its present level,” it warns.

When emissions from land use and land use change are included, the livestock sector accounts for 9 per cent of CO2 deriving from human-related activities, but produces a much larger share of even more harmful greenhouse gases. It generates 65 per cent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of CO2. Most of this comes from manure.

And it accounts for respectively 37 per cent of all human-induced methane (23 times as warming as CO2), which is largely produced by the digestive system of ruminants, and 64 per cent of ammonia, which contributes significantly to acid rain.

With increased prosperity, people are consuming more meat and dairy products every year, the report notes. Global meat production is projected to more than double from 229 million tonnes in 1999/2001 to 465 million tonnes in 2050, while milk output is set to climb from 580 to 1043 million tonnes.

The global livestock sector is growing faster than any other agricultural sub-sector. It provides livelihoods to about 1.3 billion people and contributes about 40 per cent to global agricultural output. For many poor farmers in developing countries livestock are also a source of renewable energy for draft and an essential source of organic fertilizer for their crops.

Livestock now use 30 per cent of the earth’s entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 per cent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 per cent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

At the same time herds cause wide-scale land degradation, with about 20 per cent of pastures considered degraded through overgrazing, compaction and erosion. This figure is even higher in the drylands where inappropriate policies and inadequate livestock management contribute to advancing desertification.

The livestock business is among the most damaging sectors to the earth’s increasingly scarce water resources, contributing among other things to water pollution from animal wastes, antibiotics and hormones, chemicals from tanneries, fertilizers and the pesticides used to spray feed crops.

Beyond improving animal diets, proposed remedies to the multiple problems include soil conservation methods together with controlled livestock exclusion from sensitive areas; setting up biogas plant initiatives to recycle manure; improving efficiency of irrigation systems; and introducing full-cost pricing for water together with taxes to discourage large-scale livestock concentration close to cities.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Babalazarou

Post by Babalazarou » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:44 pm

A UN report, The Greeks, The Holy Roman Empire (what they ever done for us?) and Wikipedia all in one thread.

Lovely.
He's not the messiah.....he's a very naughty boy

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
Kodama wrote:

You have a hypothesis may be proven for a rat or a chimp. You need human tissue to test against humans.
True, and if its going to be applied to humans its gotta be tested on humans. What most people fail to understand is that animal cell biology isn't all that different from humans (even a lot of microbial cell biology is similar), so we can derive a lot of valuable information from animal studies without having to do research on humans.
And our tissue is not so different from a potatoe in many respects. But the slight variations, even between us and a chimp are different enough to kill one or the other model in many instances. Aspirin and penicillin are two drugs that would have killed many of our animal models. Also, starting with human tissue or human models no longer requires actual living humans.

Babalazarou

Post by Babalazarou » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Animals eh.

Eating, drinking, farting and shitting.

Selfish bastards are ruining the world.

Bunch of cunts.

Babalazarou

Post by Babalazarou » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I blame that god geezer, what a fuckwit.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Emissary wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
Emissary wrote:In fact I think we are a far less healthy world now than we were 500 years ago.
8O WOW!! 8O
I think you might want to spend some time and read up on that.
Just because we live longer doesn't mean we are healthier. It would be interesting to compare things like cancer, asthma, diabetes, heart issues, lung disease with 500 years ago. of course we cant, so we automatically think we are healthier because we can prolong our decrepit lives a bit longer. The human mind is certainly less healthy now than it was at the beginning of civilisation.
:roll:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Kodama wrote: WRONG, human models are what is crucial to experimentation, far more humans die from using legal drugs than illegal ones.

Animals are not a reliable model for the human model, and it costs human lives and tax dollars.

Maybe your partner (and yourself) should go with the sentiments of that "breakdown" she nearly had, it is an ugly and lazy facet of science that needs to be left in the dust. It has been a fallacy since inception, and grows even more so in the light of emerging alternatives.
That's cool man. However, I hope you keep it in mind if you ever have cardiovascular problems, a form of cancer, arthritis, the flu, a headache or some sort of surgery (what do you think future surgeons cut their teeth on?). Gee I hate to think of the moral dilemma you'd be in if your were involved in a car accident and required surgery, cardio drugs and pain killers.

Or could all of these problems be solved in a reasonable amount of time through 'emerging alternatives' :roll:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:39 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =103506446

Pigs. Butchering. Flu. Head Cheese.

Mmm. Timely.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm

optimistic wrote: That's cool man. However, I hope you keep it in mind if you ever have cardiovascular problems, a form of cancer, arthritis, the flu, a headache or some sort of surgery (what do you think future surgeons cut their teeth on?). Gee I hate to think of the moral dilemma you'd be in if your were involved in a car accident and required surgery, cardio drugs and pain killers.
Surgeons can (and many do) start with cadavers and move on (under supervision) to live humans.

You need to read Dr Greek's interview, start to understand that their may be an argument against the need for animals in (past, present, and most certainly future) human medical science.

No animal's suffering has ever saved my life as of yet, and many people will suffer from their own stupidity in the face of science (animal fat is likely what would bring on that cardio disease that you speak of).

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Kodama wrote:
optimistic wrote: That's cool man. However, I hope you keep it in mind if you ever have cardiovascular problems, a form of cancer, arthritis, the flu, a headache or some sort of surgery (what do you think future surgeons cut their teeth on?). Gee I hate to think of the moral dilemma you'd be in if your were involved in a car accident and required surgery, cardio drugs and pain killers.
Surgeons can (and many do) start with cadavers and move on (under supervision) to live humans.

You need to read Dr Greek's interview, start to understand that their may be an argument against the need for animals in (past, present, and most certainly future) human medical science.

No animal's suffering has ever saved my life as of yet, and many people will suffer from their own stupidity in the face of science (animal fat is likely what would bring on that cardio disease that you speak of).
A) The dr greek guy is one quack spouting off nonsense in the face of hundreds of thousands of articles of research published using animals for experimentation. Whereas you get your "facts" from some dipshit with a megaphone, I get mine from actual data. Try pubmed instead of google or wikipedia next time.

B) you sure about that? Ever been vaccinated? Anyone in your family ever been vaccinated? You or any one of your relatives caught a bad flu, been in an serious accident, had surgery, been exposed to any sort of infection? These are just a few examples of the thousands of things we treat, prevent, or gain our understanding via animal testing in one way or another. Not to mention countless other secondary applications not tied directly to medicine either.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Kodama wrote:
No animal's suffering has ever saved my life as of yet,
See now, this is were i start to get a little irritated.
This is both untrue, as well as disrespectful to the animals that have died to keep you alive.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Homebelly wrote:
Kodama wrote:
This is both untrue, as well as disrespectful to the animals that have died to keep you alive.
And how do you know my history?

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of Western medicines foundation is a product unsavory experimentation: prisoners, Cockneys, tax-evaders, low caste peons.
I say let's return to our foundation. I'd like to find the Christian gene, I know it's somewhere ideep within the Mississippi

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Kodama wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
Kodama wrote:
And how do you know my history?
Because you are alive and presumably healthy in 2009.
Care to elaborate?