Behringer BCR2000 Controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:12 pm

it definitely helps, thanks.
so i guess there are some windows issues.

about the feedback and the knobs moving a little too slow, try (you can do that on a blank set) mapping a slider with the control output set to the BCR, see how it goes, and then remove the control output. see if the knobs move faster.

Live CAN receive input from different midi channels. actualy, i've set all my knobs to send/receive on MIDI Ch#2, it is displayed as the first digit of the mapping in Live (like 2/74 means channel2/CC#74)

agreed on the LED for the knob push function, it's annoying, though, i've had pretty good support in France. i asked 2 questions and had the answer pretty quickly (FYI, it was about the ability to set the step length, in order to have the knobs respond quicker, and they didn't know if the editing software would allow it, and the second Q was about the ability of the BCR to receive program changes, they told me it was just a feature linked to the editing software, so it won't be possible to remotely change the presets... hope i'm making sense)

sorry to hear about your performance misfortunes! do you use the unit like 1 preset=1 song/set? i thought it wasn't a good choice, because that would mean that after 32 songs, i would have to erase some presets. so i've decided to have only one preset for all my songs, and maybe a few other presets to control intruments (but just for studio).

already 1 knob broken... 8O that's no good...
if you want to share more of your 'tricks' and the way you use the bcr, i think it would be worth it. i'll do that in another post...
cheers.

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:17 pm

peeddrroo wrote:it definitely helps, thanks.
so i guess there are some windows issues.
glad to help!
peeddrroo wrote:about the feedback and the knobs moving a little too slow, try (you can do that on a blank set) mapping a slider with the control output set to the BCR, see how it goes, and then remove the control output. see if the knobs move faster.
I'll give that a try tomorrow! don't have to control in the office, although I'd like it :-) I still got to find a decent case/bag to carry all of my controllers and my soundcard... wait I'll open a thread for that...
peeddrroo wrote: Live CAN receive input from different midi channels. actualy, i've set all my knobs to send/receive on MIDI Ch#2, it is displayed as the first digit of the mapping in Live (like 2/74 means channel2/CC#74)
hmm, but I think that when you assing a cc on channel one and a cc on channel 2 they are treated the same way... well, maybe, not tooo shure about that one!
peeddrroo wrote: do you use the unit like 1 preset=1 song/set? i thought it wasn't a good choice, because that would mean that after 32 songs, i would have to erase some presets. so i've decided to have only one preset for all my songs, and maybe a few other presets to control intruments (but just for studio).
I use the 1 preset (well I'd like to have at least 2) for all songs...
but now I have to change the assignements on all songs, and this REALLY sucks... I wish there was a better way in live for manipulating existing midi assignement. but it still is the best way I've ever seen...
peeddrroo wrote: if you want to share more of your 'tricks' and the way you use the bcr, i think it would be worth it. i'll do that in another post...
cheers.
well just a quick trick on those nice feedbacks from send 1...: put the filter delay (with the go mid preset) on send 1, a simple delay on track one with settings 2 and 2, then assign the mute button to the first button on the bcr, then assign the dry/wet of the simple delay to the button just below, assign the send 1 to the first push encoder and configure the push encoder to send the same CC on the push and on the knob... configure the knob value 2 to about 90...
now you're ready to create instant breaks... well, you can shift the beat with the simple delay, and you can give the feedback with the push encoder (either by pressing or by moving the fader) just before you mute the beat. I use this technique a lot when jamming with a band. try to experiment with the simple delay settings (2 / 6) works good for most beats either... well, this is really only for jamming and giving you an idea what you could do out of a beat...
it works even better in conjunction with the camel phat plugin... gonna love... like beeing a dj 8)
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

buy me a bcr?

relative controller change

Post by buy me a bcr? » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:00 pm

the big feature with this unit is that it was supposed to support relative controller changes (since "soft takeover" is not supported in LIVE) - is this feature of the BCR working the way it is supposed to?

mike holiday

Re: doesn't work

Post by mike holiday » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:58 pm

BCR2000 rocks!

QUOTE:

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

which should be able to send sysex files.

First i start the BCR2000 by holding down "Store" and "Learn" to
be in the "Load" Mode.
Second i send the file to Port 1 of the BCR, but... it seems not to arrive there; when i switch the unit off and on again it says "1.03" (Firmwareversion).

Do i have to plug in MIDI Cables, i tried it with USB Connection only?

end quote

Behringer left out some info for this gear on the pdf regarding the update.
you sould automaticaly be on u-1 when you try to update (so you dont need the store edit part) but before you send the data 2 the unit you push "store" then send the file and the unit will be updated...you can tell the piece is recieveing the file and when it is done 1.05 will light up for a second

hey i'v never used midi learn mode for the thing
but have had to set some of the controls for the paramitorr(type of contol) i need
send data when you load your set (under midi prefrences)and the unit should recal eveything you left in live
(actuall eveything updates except for the master track and any plug ins on it--- maybe bug)
with 32 presets their are 3,456 total paramitors accessable on this unit
total control love the unit easy as pie
somebody mentiond 2 leds lighting up...that is on the top 8 encoders right? that is an option on the unit to display that way...
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:41 pm

@pedrrrooo:

I have the same issues here with "feedback", with output back to BCR enabled I have to turn the knob 2-3 times, without output enabled I can easily have 0-127 with a single turn. pretty annoying, apart from that, the normal "absolute"-mode works perfect.

relative controllers work not very good, in fact LIVE sometimes recognises the "relative"-mode correct when I turn the knob clockwise and recognises "absolute" when I turn anticlockwise. some relative-modes work funny, knob UP means fader in live DOWN or knob UP works and when I turn knob DOWN one single step de fader crashes back to 2. can you second this?

greets,
pd

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:02 pm

concerning the first issue, for now, i just disabled the control out from Live to the BCR. not the best way to have the knobs updated, but i prefer them to be quick...

about your second point, now that you mention it, there could be some odd behaviour.
i mainly use knobs for sliders and switches for buttons. the knobs work just fine (including the push ones). but for the switches, i sometimes have to set them to 'Absolute', and sometimes to 'Relative: 2's comp', and i can't tell why. but i manage to get what i want, so i didn't bother.
most of the time, i want the LEDs to be lit when an effect is ON, or when a track is muted, and it works fine. i'll try to investigate more on this.
and when I turn knob DOWN one single step de fader crashes back to 2
i didn't get what you mean.

cheers

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:13 pm

i didn't get what you mean.
sure, difficult topic and a typo ;) :
when I use the relative modes (don't know which one exactly) it happens, that if I turn the knob clockwise the fader follows. when I turn the knob counter-clockwise just ONE STEP (e.g. from 60 to 59) the fader on the screen falls back to zero.

switches work for me too, including LEDs. but I don't want to disable parameter feedback, when I quick mute a channel with the mouse it won't be reflected to the BCR.

I asked behringer about these issues, let's see.

christian

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:13 pm

apparently it's a Live/Win problem. i didn't hear ppl complain about the unit using other apps, and it works well on Macs. plus the same kind of probs have been reported on other units with control feedback (motorized ones).

about the knobs set to relative, all works fine here, except that now Live doesn't want to display the name of the type i want, it just stays on the last one until i refresh the box's text... 8O

anyway, let's see if the next release improves the thing.

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:23 am

there is a new update 1.06 which should correct the feedback problem.
go check it here: http://www.behringer.com/bcr2000

cheers
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:44 am

i'm curious how you people are using the BCR with Live ...... do you assign the rotaries to effect parameters? and the push buttons to clip/scene triggers? also using the transport buttons?

about relative control: i understand that live4 supports relative midi controllers, so that should work fine with the BCR endless rotaries wouldn't it?

Olaf

Peropaal

about the dials turning to slowly

Post by Peropaal » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:54 am

There is an option on the BCR that accelerates the dial movement, so if you want your dials to move faster you can use this. It applies to all the dials on the BCR, I dont think you can set the speed for individual dials.

If you want to know how to do it, let me know. We (I friend of mine bought the controller, I dont own it myself) found out about this feature by accident, I dont know if it is mentioned in the manuals...

Peropaal
sigs are out of fashion

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:17 am

yes, me wants to know!!!!

regarding the way i use it, it's mainly 1 knob column = 1 instrument.
i always keep the same preset for each tune, with basicaly the drums on col1, bass col2, live input col3, 1 simpler col4, and then col 5 to 8 are for kontakt instruments.
and i try to put the same effects on rows, like if i have a filter, the cutoff will be on 1st row, etc...
top row (with switches) is mainly for master effects.
the switches, i use them: bottom line for mutes, top line for effects on/off on a per track basis.
and then the 4 switches on the right bottom are for arming/rec 1 live track, and scrolling through scenes.
i launch the scenes with a sustain pedal.
that's it!

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:25 pm

I use 2 presets:
one for channel 1-8 other for channel 8-16 (which I don't use till now...)

push encoders:
position 1:
volumes on knob AND push (the push values I put on 0 and 100)
position 2:
send 1 on knob AND push
position 3:
send 2...
position 4:
pan...

buttons:
top 8:
mute on/off

bottom 8:
first 4: arm midi tracks
4-6: arm audio
8: overdub (more important than I first thought...)

the other knobs I use for effects...
for my taste there are not enough on/off options, so I configured the first row to be buttons (val 1 = 64, val 2 = 65). So there's just one led showing the on/off state... works really great.

well, shurely I will change this soon, but at the moment I'm quite happy w/it

:roll:
--
I'm Spoiled!

warabunga

Re: about the dials turning to slowly

Post by warabunga » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:28 pm

Peropaal wrote: If you want to know how to do it, let me know.
Peropaal
Yeeeeessssss! Pleasssssseeeeee!
--
I'm Spoiled!

Peropaal

Ok here goes

Post by Peropaal » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:12 pm

Go into edit mode on your BCR

Turn the topmost-right dial, it will say something like 100-50-20-etc, I dont quite remember, anyway, this is the speed factor of the dials, enjoy...

Peropaal
sigs are out of fashion