Best MIDI controller for DJ-ing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kenshin

Best MIDI controller for DJ-ing

Post by Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post and hopefully your answers and conclusions will be useful to others in the future.

I have in mind to mix with Ableton. I used the program to create some tracks, so i`m not new to it, and i also got a HP Pavillion laptop that i want to use at gigs. The specs of the computer are not relevant (I think dual-core processor and 4 GB of RAM are just perfect :P). Because it`s not that nice to mix with your mouse and keyboard (horrible actually) I want to buy in the near future a MIDI controller. Now i got some in mind but i want to hear your opinions on them, as reviews on the internet focus on all the programs not just Ableton.

So first of all, no keyboard required. And second, it gotta hold in a live gig (no mistakes).

I will also tell you the prices of the gear for you to have a better view of things. Sadly, as i live in Bucharest (Romania), most European stores don`t ship (i can`t even get a pair of shoes out of Amazon :(( ). So i will refer to the price i will get from buying (sadly) local.

The first one i saw was the X-Session Pro from M-AUDIO. Well, it`s cheap (70 euros) but (although very mobile and light) seems not that complex (too few knobs and sliders).

Then i turned to Behringer BCR 2000. Because it`s not in the stores anymore, i have to buy it used (but in good shape) at 100 euros. I really liked that it was durable, had alot of knobs and lights (even if it`s design seems to be from the 90s).

I shifted once again when i saw UC-33c. It got sliders and knobs and also an Ableton skin. My happiness lasted only for a while. The reviews on the internet are mostly negative, people complaining that the product feels cheap, buttons tend to jam, drivers need reinstalling and it`s not recommended for a live gig. This item costs 150 euros (second hand) and 200 euros (store).

My eye turned to Novation Remote Zero. Now it looks cool, it has 2 screens, some faders (i think a bit too small), knobs and buttons (and light comparing to BCR). Now it has some very good reviews but some say that their automap technology is not really that good and for that price (200 euros second hand/300 euros store) you can buy a BCR and a BCF, thus having alot more knobs and motorized faders (and probably 5 more kilograms in your pack if you go mobile).

Of course, a new product is Novation Zero MK2, which has touch-sensitive buttons and longer faders, but is over 350 euros. Few reviews are available, but i found a forum where people complained strongly against this product.

So i`m in a difficult position. I want something good and now i give yo the chance to write your opinions. Of course, if you know something better that`s not in the list above please tell (not Mackie, really don`t have 1000 euros to spend atm).

So, what would you choose if you were me?

gerard

Re: Best MIDI controller for DJ-ing

Post by gerard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:05 pm

My choice Akai MPD24.
6 long faders, 8 knobs and 4x16 pads.
180€
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I'd get the VCM-600......it's a great controller but at £600 it's pricey..

but you get what you pay for..
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

stallos

Post by stallos » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 pm

jez3122 wrote:
but you get what you pay for..
I got 2 faulty VCMs and zero response from Vestax Support!

The 3rd one works fine and is great though!

Kenshin

Post by Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 pm

ok, a new item into my list:

BITSTREAM 3X

gerard, please tell me more about the AKAY, i saw a picture and i wondered why so many pads are necesarry...

Walkingmachine

Post by Walkingmachine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 pm

if ur using ableton i would probably go with the apc 40

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm

the bcr is the best bang for your buck. i use it to dj with alot. reliable, flexible, lots of controls. you essentially only need this to do everything 4 dj'ing. :wink:
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 pm

i looked at loads of controllers before making a decision and the problem i had with APC and MPD's was the lack of rotarys for EQing....
i currently use 7 channels when DJing so i need a lot of rotarys.....not to mention kill switches

I think the APC will be great in the studio and as a performance tool on stage but wouldn't suit me for DJing...

but we all work differently :wink:
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

Kenshin

Post by Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Walkingmachine i saw the apc 40 and it`s great, but it costs almost 500 euros :cry:

mazmith : i think that BCR is the best solution, althrough i think it is heavy

Kenshin

Post by Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 pm

jez3122 wrote:i looked at loads of controllers before making a decision and the problem i had with APC and MPD's was the lack of rotarys for EQing....
i currently use 7 channels when DJing so i need a lot of rotarys.....not to mention kill switches

I think the APC will be great in the studio and as a performance tool on stage but wouldn't suit me for DJing...

so what do you use when dj-ing?

as for rotarys i agree, i need them too

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Kenshin wrote:
jez3122 wrote:i looked at loads of controllers before making a decision and the problem i had with APC and MPD's was the lack of rotarys for EQing....

so what do you use when dj-ing?

as for rotarys i agree, i need them too
The VCM-600..

But i used to use the xsession pro with the Axiom 25.....and it worked very well and is affordable

I think the BCR might be what you need

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I had a UC33e and found it quite useful. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. You just need to make sure you have the proper software for it.

Kenshin

Post by Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Ok so i just got an offer from a guy i know that will sell his Novation Zero for smth. like 200 euros. The good thing is that it still got a warranty (about 5 months) and this guy used it many times with Ableton at live gigs (so he knows how to configure the Automap).

What do you say?

MetalCube

Post by MetalCube » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:54 pm

jez3122 wrote: The VCM-600..

But i used to use the xsession pro with the Axiom 25.....and it worked very well and is affordable

I think the BCR might be what you need
lol thats my set up. Im buying the Xsession next week to complement the axiom.

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Kenshin wrote:ok, a new item into my list:

BITSTREAM 3X
i read bad reviews of the build quality when this came out, but i've heard good reports from people who own it. i like the layout myself, all the knobs and faders are laid out very intuitively for multi channel djing and it's got a small enough footprint to fit in a booth better than some of the big boys, and i'm told it's pretty solid.

i still sorta wish there were more knobs on the apc40 - i'd never get my head round changing banks for eqing/effecting a few channels simultaneously. the best out there for djing is probably the vcm600, but then it's expensive and on the large side for many booths.

still haven't found the ideal controller myself..