Recording SYSEX data

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tritata

Re: Recording SYSEX data

Post by tritata » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:56 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: But what are you actually trying to do? Why do you want to dump Sysex into Live? Sounds like you want patch changes within a song, which is entirely possible via any clip with simple program changes; including dummy clips if you want to do it on the fly.
I can bring an example.
I want to use Kenton Pro Solo Mk2(advanced MIDI-CV converter) to bring additional control over Moog LP. I'd like to sequence Pro Solo's individual parameters or whole sets, but there's no patch memory in the device so there are no programs to change. However Pro Solo deals with real-time SysEx programming.

Ableton Live's possibilities for live performance are attractive but lack of SysEx discourages.

nicogrubert

Post by nicogrubert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, but is it still not possible to record/send SYSEX data in live?

People still have hardware synths whose sounds needs to be dumped in and out. :roll:

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:14 pm

nicogrubert wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but is it still not possible to record/send SYSEX data in live?

People still have hardware synths whose sounds needs to be dumped in and out. :roll:

Nope.

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 pm

3dot... wrote:
tw1nstates wrote:M4L?

I am assuming that will do it?
me don't think so...
I think M4L's midi inputs come from live...
Advantage: Mac user :)

There is a pair of nice and free (Mac only) max third party externals, written by leighhunt which are called lh_midiin and lh_midiout. With these two externals one can send midi inside of max4live directly to all available midi ports (also sysex).
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 am

Tone Deft wrote:how many of the major DAWs support sysex?

for PC I use midiOx, I assume the OP is on mac though.

every single one of them except live

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:how many of the major DAWs support sysex?

for PC I use midiOx, I assume the OP is on mac though.

every single one of them except live
MAKE ME WAIT TWO AND HALF YEARS FOR AN ANSWER!!! :evil:

:P

saw the thread, "I don't remember posting in that one... oh, I've been quoted?!?"
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 am

lol didnt check the date on the thread, sorry

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 am

no worries, now I know!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

acidman

Post by acidman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

+1 for this!
:evil:

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 pm

So it's six years after this initial bug report.

Is there any hope that we'll eventually be able to use system exclusives in Ableton or Max For Live patches?

It's not that people are doing this just to be difficult. So very many devices use System Exclusives. I'm here because of one common such device...

sonicflight

Re: Recording SYSEX data - ABLETON "any update..??"

Post by sonicflight » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Ableton - Do you have any update on this..? I'm trying to simply record MIDI Song Numbers - and it won't let me.

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Not to my knowledge. Certainly Ableton has given no indication that they are interested in these bugs or that any fraction of their considerable manpower is being used to address any of them.

Here's a link to a document I wrote last year about bugs that had been in Ableton for at least five years if I didn't paste it already on this thread.

I've moved away from Ableton and Max For Live because I believe the system is permanently broken and unfixable for serious development. The Live Object Model was in particular invented by someone who thinks "as complicated and hard to use as possible" is positive design goal. I still work with Max as a standalone application though.

Sorry for the bitter tone. I wasted hundreds of hours of my life on that. I probably wasted a hundred of hours just trying to get one program to not crash and giving up - a year later, in the next release, it turned out that there had been a serious race condition in the Javascript box so all my attempts to debug my code were worthless.