I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Re: I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Post by gjm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 pm

nebulae wrote:
gjm wrote:I use Facebook to play Bubble Spinner, and to check out my kids friends.
Not sure how you buggers party down under, but here, we call that "Straight Up Perv"
Damn right. I do not approve of all the little sluts trying to get into my beautiful little sons pants. I use ALL the means possible to 'guide' certain decisions being made as best I can.

The real funny/sad thing though is, I do not have 1 single genuine 'friend' on facebook. No friends in real life either. :lol:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

danzel

Post by danzel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:12 pm

b0unce wrote:Facebook is an abomination
:P
i deleted mine because:
I got sick of application requests.
I wasn't too keen on getting 'tagged'.
I tired of status updates of people i only added not too seem rude/ignorant.
When i did comment or participate it sometimes got totally misinterpreted because text has no context like sarcasm or whatever.
got sick of ads, spam, quizes... its just shit basically.
Despite my dislikes i still ended up on it quite frequently... waste of time.

might try twitter at some point though..... maybe

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:17 pm

gjm wrote:
nebulae wrote:
gjm wrote:I use Facebook to play Bubble Spinner, and to check out my kids friends.
Not sure how you buggers party down under, but here, we call that "Straight Up Perv"
Damn right. I do not approve of all the little sluts trying to get into my beautiful little sons pants. I use ALL the means possible to 'guide' certain decisions being made as best I can.

The real funny/sad thing though is, I do not have 1 single genuine 'friend' on facebook. No friends in real life either. :lol:
Understood. I often peruse MILFhunter.com to make sure there are no crazy MILFs out there trying to wreck my marriage. We need to stay "on top" of these "things"

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Facebook is ok - use Firefox/AdblockPlus to get rid of all the advert images, don't install any applications, use the privacy settings and preferences to minimise the amount of useless spamming, and it's tolerable. Facebook enabled a friend of mine who I'd lost touch with to meet up with me when he happened to be over in Berlin and it was great catching up again after 10 years, and now we stay in regular contact - Facebook massively increased the chances of that happening... which was nice...

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:27 pm

nebulae wrote: Understood. I often peruse MILFhunter.com to make sure there are no crazy MILFs out there trying to wreck my marriage. We need to stay "on top" of these "things"
:lol: :lol:

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
nebulae wrote: Understood. I often peruse MILFhunter.com to make sure there are no crazy MILFs out there trying to wreck my marriage. We need to stay "on top" of these "things"
:lol: :lol:
lmfao :lol: :lol: :lol:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

abort

Post by abort » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Jimmy likes to fill his hole with celery.

Tammy says "Am I a whore?"

Aron posted "Save a chicken from watery mouthed Indonesian dieing family Click Here"

Matt updated his picture.

Lesa is studying to be a house wife.

Martha says "I love Alex in Days of our lives"

Tracy wants to be your friend. (but only on face book, she would have nothing to do with you if in real life.)

Tim says "working in max tonight with a glass of red Pinot Noir (but is actually extremely lonely)

Tammy thinks Tim is a loser (but what she doesn't know is that she's more alone the he.)

...and then they all lie down to fall a sleep that night (feeling complex-ed, lonely, unhappy, fake, and forgotten).

....next morning it starts all over again!

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Six months ago i would have been all about ripping on face book and calling it all the bad things.
Thing is though, after having been coerced into joining up, i am loving it.
I'm not on it every day. I go check it out every couple of days.
I've had people find me that i haven't talked to in years.
Some of them are monsters from the past that need to stay there.
Others are people i am truly grateful to have back.
My thinking???
Its a tool.
Some people use it well.
Others abuse it.
others get used by it.
That is the whole nature of what has become termed "Web 2.0"
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Honestly, I love Facebook. I have found a lot of old friends, and it's quite fun to post pictures and then comment on others...oh wait, I do that here...SURPRISE!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 pm

@Tone
I'm not sure it's a GenY thing. Maybe they were the target audience and first adopters, but I'm astounded by how many people over 40 that I know who are on these things and can't seem to get away/stop. 8O

@hoffman2k
The sheer exposure factor does seem like a powerful draw.

@neb
We'll talk about that amazing sex thing offline.

@b0unce
Since I don't use Facebook, I don't exactly know what you're talking about. But I get the gist, and it sounds horrifyingly mundane.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 pm

nebulae wrote:Understood. I often peruse MILFhunter.com to make sure there are no crazy MILFs out there trying to wreck my marriage. We need to stay "on top" of these "things"

Thanks asswipe.

I just choked on my orange slice laughing so hard.

Fucker.
:lol:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 pm

:lol: :lol: *hugs*

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Hmm. So far I'm more appalled than curious. Which is a change from my previous attitude, which was mildly curious but not quite getting it.

It sounds like, with Facebook at least, there's a lot of shit you have to deal with - like ads and getting MORE friggin tools to kill those ads or whatever. Yikes. Is Twitter fairly painless in terms of that crap?

The reconnecting with old friends bit is kind of interesting, but I think one tends to look at that stuff with rose colored glasses. You THINK you miss an old pal that you used to have just so much fun with, only to reconnect on one of those high school reunion websites and suddenly remember that he always stunk a bit like ass and wouldn't stop trying to tell you what Rush's 2112 was REALLY all about.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 pm

you might like this: 100 days of Obama's Facebook...

http://www.slate.com/id/2217225/

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 pm

^ nah, that's not how it is...the stuff to "deal with" is only annoying if you want it to be. You can streamline facebook to just get updates. You can even remove all apps, even the photos app, which was the whole damn point. You can use it purely for connecting with people. There are some annoyances, but for me, it's essential. Here's what I can to with it:
1. Upload photos of family and have all my family instantly see it and comment about it.
2. Upload songs and have all my friends hear it.
3. Post fun fun Youtubes.
4. Chat with long lost friends. (And they WILL come out of nowhere!)
5. Get business - just got a client today - he's a high school friend who needs a corporate attorney for a startup.
6. Find out new things about old friends - another friend and I realized we both make music on Live.
7. Keep in touch with people around the world in a way that's more direct than email, but less intrusive than the phone, and more immediate than this forum.
8. When something really newsworthy happens, oh like let me think...for example your wife nearly dying...it's a great way to disseminate info to a lot of people without having to spend time talking or repeating yourself.
9. Organize events, shows, what not, and keep up with your fanbase. It's a lot better than Myspace, IMHO.

There's a lot more to it, but for me, it's been a great tool. As for old friends, yes, there is a bit of nostalgia. But what I love is that I've been able to find out how old high school friends have grown up over the years/decades. When we chat, no ice needs to be broken. There's an odd familiarity, that gives way to all sorts of new facets to a more mature relationship. It's seriously fucking cool like that.

Now the annoying stuff - there are idiots who send you app requests every day. And usually they are all stupid. Once a week, I go thru my request box and just ignore anything that is not a friend add request. Done.

Everything else is gravy.