I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 pm

nebulae wrote:^ nah, that's not how it is...the stuff to "deal with" is only annoying if you want it to be. You can streamline facebook to just get updates. You can even remove all apps, even the photos app, which was the whole damn point. You can use it purely for connecting with people. There are some annoyances, but for me, it's essential. Here's what I can to with it:
1. Upload photos of family and have all my family instantly see it and comment about it.
2. Upload songs and have all my friends hear it.
3. Post fun fun Youtubes.
4. Chat with long lost friends. (And they WILL come out of nowhere!)
5. Get business - just got a client today - he's a high school friend who needs a corporate attorney for a startup.
6. Find out new things about old friends - another friend and I realized we both make music on Live.
7. Keep in touch with people around the world in a way that's more direct than email, but less intrusive than the phone, and more immediate than this forum.
8. When something really newsworthy happens, oh like let me think...for example your wife nearly dying...it's a great way to disseminate info to a lot of people without having to spend time talking or repeating yourself.
9. Organize events, shows, what not, and keep up with your fanbase. It's a lot better than Myspace, IMHO.

There's a lot more to it, but for me, it's been a great tool. As for old friends, yes, there is a bit of nostalgia. But what I love is that I've been able to find out how old high school friends have grown up over the years/decades. When we chat, no ice needs to be broken. There's an odd familiarity, that gives way to all sorts of new facets to a more mature relationship. It's seriously fucking cool like that.

Now the annoying stuff - there are idiots who send you app requests every day. And usually they are all stupid. Once a week, I go thru my request box and just ignore anything that is not a friend add request. Done.

Everything else is gravy.
Hmm. What's an 'app' request? Someone trying to get you to buy their iPhone app? Any of those have MIDI capability? lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:17 pm

^ A common app is where you can add your birthday to someone's caledar and vice versa. Another app would be to sync Twitter to your facebook status. Those are good ones.

Then there's shit apps like "XYZ friend wants you to be a pirate. Click Aaarg." Fuck that.

None of this costs you any money. Except the Nebulosity app. And trust me, you'll want to pay money for that mofo.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

nebulae wrote:Except the Nebulosity app. And trust me, you'll want to pay money for that mofo.

Will it give me that Deadmau5 sound? Because that's what I'm after, Bitch.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: Will it give me that Deadmau5 sound? Because that's what I'm after, Bitch.
You'll need the Paul Van Dyk iPhone app for that.

Ok enuf foreplay, mofo. Are you adding me or what?!?

Walkingmachine

Post by Walkingmachine » Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 am

facebook i feel is pretty useful.....twitter not so sure......but if you have a band or any type of business you are trying to promote and your not on everything you possibly could be, ur an idiot and u are missing out on possible opportunities

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri May 01, 2009 2:55 am

Time to swallow my own words. I've decided to hop on the twatter bandwagon. Another way to promote my music can't be all bad.

http://twitter.com/NathanVice
Last edited by aqua_tek on Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri May 01, 2009 3:20 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:It sounds like, with Facebook at least, there's a lot of shit you have to deal with - like ads and getting MORE friggin tools to kill those ads or whatever. Yikes. Is Twitter fairly painless in terms of that crap?
Twitter is painless and even really quite useful if you're really picky about who you follow.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri May 01, 2009 3:22 am

VIRB for the win.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri May 01, 2009 3:22 am

there is this girl that is kind of cute and you start to hit it off with her and it is fun then after a bit she starts to ask you "what are you thinking?" all the time without telling you what she's thinking and then most all of her sentence either start with that question or words to the effect of "will you do me a favor...?" or "hey, do this thing for me..." and it is an annoying favor and a stupid thing then her stupid friends are calling you and telling you what famous celebrity they resemble and wanting to you play a role playing game and the role playing game is kind of fun for a while and then it gets to be a bit much and the girl is still asking you "what are you thinking?" and her friends are telling you what book they read and how they just pwned somebody in the role playing game that is a bit too much and the girl is starting to really grate on your nerves and now she is TEXTING you all the time asking "what are you doing?"....

facebook + twitter that is it in a nutshell but it is still kind of fun. By the way, an AI web application told me I look like John Malkovich, isnt' that cool...?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am

Tone Deft wrote:I think they're a 'generation Y' thing. the generation that grew up not knowing what life was like without teh interweb. instant access to everything, attention whoring via blogs, myspace, youtube, twitter, facebook, all those things. having a texting phone since they knew how to use a phone, always wired into the web. tools for attention whores with motivations that I just don't get. I whore here too much but I like to hear from other people, I loathe blogging, I see them as a cry for help by lonely people, "look at me!!" some people just see it as sharing.

these days it's a given that every company has a facebook entry, a wikipedia page and a twitter.

it's part of the modern world that I just don't get.

huh, what a rant from someone with 14k posts ...

did anyone ever say that the big economical crisis could as well be originated by all of us surfing the web instead of working?

Facebook and all other webs people like to watch or contribute to probably lowered the productivity of the corpoporate companies by an considerable amount. The other day the internet broke down at my office and everyone would suddenly work, hehe.

Maybe the web 2.0 is just the starting point of a social revolution that will destroy corporate capitalism by people watching youtube and surfing facebook instead of working.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 am

No to all of them for me. I feel far too disconnected from most of humanity to engage in the shallow, pathetic shenanigans that generally goes on in those spaces.
Image Image

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

go for it....Im on Facebook and i like BIG! I found a lot of old good friends that i lost the contact to thru the years.......doesent matter which platform i guess....pick the one you like! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 01, 2009 4:18 pm

pepezabala wrote:huh, what a rant from someone with 14k posts ...

did anyone ever say that the big economical crisis could as well be originated by all of us surfing the web instead of working?

Facebook and all other webs people like to watch or contribute to probably lowered the productivity of the corpoporate companies by an considerable amount. The other day the internet broke down at my office and everyone would suddenly work, hehe.

Maybe the web 2.0 is just the starting point of a social revolution that will destroy corporate capitalism by people watching youtube and surfing facebook instead of working.
what a judgmental prick.

anytime you think you can do my job, feel free to step up pal. :roll:

what do you do for a living? I get raises every year and made senior design engineer. the stuff I make generates millions of dollars of revenue, far more than your retarded little institute, you plan on doing that forever? the forum keeps me in my seat and I work my ass off. my post count is only an indication of how much time I spent in front of a computer, at work, 14 hour days asshole. what do you do? lazy fucking spaniards barely work anyway, what's your work week over there, siestas included? your whole country has the GDP of my city.

totally retarded conclusion. I see you now for the prick you are. :roll:

d0uchebags aside...
the generation Y thing is interesting, I've seen training classes for people who have to deal with Gen Y underlings, it's an interesting generation. very savvy with technology but also very spoiled because they were raised by technology. I've been trying to find a good link on it.

the thing about a forum it's many peoples' voices, all those others are about the self, forums are about community.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:the generation Y thing is interesting, I've seen training classes for people who have to deal with Gen Y underlings, it's an interesting generation. very savvy with technology but also very spoiled because they were raised by technology. I've been trying to find a good link on it.

One can only guess at what the next generation will be up to... (besides using the next letter in the alphabet). Sensory implants that connect them to devices? Organic based chip technology? Hyper thin OLED technology that turns EVERYTHING around you into a workable screen surface (wall paper, coffee tables, windows, etc.? I'm frightened and excited all at the same time. Yummy.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

just signed up for twitter:

http://twitter.com/ElikaMusic

facebook's terms of service bugged me out, so i skipped that one.