am i the only one who isn't excited about the apc40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: am i the only one who isn't excited about the apc40

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: still haven't seen a single good maschine video.
Start with this one. Watch all 4 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65aqWqJ2YA

Maschine is having the same effect on me that Reason 1.0 did when it came out.

I don't think that I could think up 2 controllers so perfect to work side by side as Maschine and the APC40.
I can see how a flying lotus type or such would be creamin for maschine but there's just something about it.
glitch can you turn off the lights on the pads?
and what are the swing options?
and the pads are not velocity sensitive right or are they?

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 am

also I gotta ask you what exactly is it that you don't like about maschine besides not being able to use it without a computer?

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 5:04 am

also what audio formats is it compatible with?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 04, 2009 5:07 am

Not much I don't like about it, but I'd like to see some macro controls like in Kore so you can assign some most important ones for live performance to some kind of 'user pages'. Also, I'd like to see note input for changing patterns and scenes rather than just program change.

Swing options are per group or master. Individual hits can be quantized separately but I guess that's a destructive quantize. The swing is just basic swing of whatever note value you want.

The pads definitely are velocity sensitive. They are the best drum pads I've used. Don't know if you can turn off the lights. The lights are very handy though, I wouldn't want to.

Audio formats - don't know all of them. But WAV and AIF anyways.
Professional Shark Jumper.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 5:11 am

what about mp3s

and you know how you can spread a sound across the keys chromaticly, does it have a selection of scales that you can load across it like the scale fx in Live?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Start with this one. Watch all 4 parts.

I don't think that I could think up 2 controllers so perfect to work side by side as Maschine and the APC40.
he called Run DMC De La Soul. otherwise it's a great demo. only part 1 was really worth watching.

very cool. mpc killer? probably. Live killer? more like an accomplice to a greater ass kicking. put an mpc inside Live, sweet.

I really hate you right now.
/glares at mpc.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote: Start with this one. Watch all 4 parts.
Too funny, I actually know the dude who made and posted that video.

I invite all APC40 vs Maschine drama to this thread: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114341

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 am

Tone Deft wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Start with this one. Watch all 4 parts.

he called Run DMC De La Soul. otherwise it's a great demo. only part 1 was really worth watching.

very cool. mpc killer? probably. Live killer? more like an accomplice to a greater ass kicking. put an mpc inside Live, sweet.

I really hate you right now.
/glares at mpc.
not so fast sonny, right about now I'm only considering it to replace my 500, my 1000 is still much doper than that. and why didn't the dude just say 'it doesn't make any sounds it's just a controller' when the other dude said it sounds great.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 04, 2009 5:28 am

just realized we are jacking johns apc thread, I don't think you'd want to make John angry lets dig up some other maschine thread to toss this crap into or maybe contakts thread.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 04, 2009 5:34 am

replace the 500 not the 1000? I see it the to other way. the 500 is portable, stripped down but portable. neither maschine or the 1000 have that.

for desktop gear go with a proper mpc like a 5000 and compare that to maschine. why even compare a middle of the road mpc like the 1000 to maschine? even with an mpc5000 in the studio you're going to have a computer, might as well put a maschine controller on it.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 04, 2009 5:37 am

starving student wrote:I don't think you'd want to make John angry lets dig up some other maschine thread to toss this crap into or maybe contakts thread.
that thread is about maschine and the APC, this one is just hating on the APC so it's more anti-APC which makes it more maschine vs mpc than the other thread.

maybe you should start a thread with a poll asking if we should resume here, go to contakt's thread or start another thread altogher.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 04, 2009 5:46 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Yeah exactly. If I could either have Maschine or APC40/Live, it would be the latter, because you can do everything with just that. But maschine is rather like an MPC inside Live, and is way faster than using Drum Racks. Drum Racks are still cool though too.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Mon May 04, 2009 9:08 am

I really dont get everyone complaining about the size of the apc:

Seems to fit in very nicely & personally I wouldn't mind a 19" rackmount version with 16 tracks & 10 scenes. worried about lugging it? get a few groupies :wink: You dont need to be famous, you'll allways find a few mates who'll think it's just way too cool walking into a club carrying a bag of records or equipment.

On one side I can understand that people want things to be handy, but I just hate all these mini/micro/nano controlers (guess my fingers are fatter than the average producers, but then I'm a big person 1.87m/85kg) I really love the encoders on my bcr as I can just go and grab any knob and not worry about moving the ones next to it by accident.
thefinger wrote: it's technically called a "production center" but it seems like it wants to be more of a performance controller, but then i would never perform with this box as its got too much extraeneous crap to be a truly nice performance tool.
"Production center" is the mpc, the APC is technically called "ableton performance controler" because thats exactly what it is - can't produce anything with the apc alone.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 am

Dexes wrote:I really dont get everyone complaining about the size of the apc:
thefinger wrote: it's technically called a "production center" but it seems like it wants to be more of a performance controller, but then i would never perform with this box as its got too much extraeneous crap to be a truly nice performance tool.
"Production center" is the mpc, the APC is technically called "ableton performance controler" because thats exactly what it is - can't produce anything with the apc alone.
ok, you are right, though my complaints with it are still the same. its too cluttered to be good for me. just give me a monome with usb and ableton secret handshake mumbo jumbo.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: still haven't seen a single good maschine video.
Start with this one. Watch all 4 parts.

these are damn good videos man!N.I. should put THESE on their site,they look a lot more LIVE in my opinion