OT: MS Windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otnooishphoo

Re: OT: MS Windows 7

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu May 07, 2009 1:45 pm

sweetjesus wrote: by that logic, unix systems are slow pieces of shit that arent worth chucking on any server.
perhaps.

or you could say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

something m$ has failed to grasp.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: by that logic, unix systems are slow pieces of shit that arent worth chucking on any server.
perhaps.

dunno - windows vista was broke (not as bad as ppl say in my opinion), and win 7 sounds like it will fix many issues. i reckon for the first time in a long time, microsoft might have actually listened. if windows 7 is stable, then i will avoid getting a mac, and im sure other people thing the same.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu May 07, 2009 2:32 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:or you could say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
funny that u say this while i was discussing the new warp system in Live 8 with another friend.

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu May 07, 2009 3:08 pm

robleighton22 wrote:
otnooishphoo wrote:
perhaps.

dunno - windows vista was broke (not as bad as ppl say in my opinion), and win 7 sounds like it will fix many issues. i reckon for the first time in a long time, microsoft might have actually listened. if windows 7 is stable, then i will avoid getting a mac, and im sure other people thing the same.

microsoft needs to bite the bullet and drop legacy support.
thats what mac did.
mac's would suck today if it was still OS9 code.

then they can get on with it and make a streamlined modern os.
i don't doubt that they already have such an os in their labs.
but they can't/won't drop legacy support.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

otnooishphoo wrote: but they can't/won't drop legacy support.

They will. Virtualization will come to help.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Thu May 07, 2009 4:27 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:microsoft needs to bite the bullet and drop legacy support.
thats what mac did.

you are such an idiot. pretty much everything you type is retarded

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 pm

can i do a fresh install from within windows rc1 without a hard drive/usb drive/dvd/virtual drive? (i,e from just using the extrated iso from a folder within my main internal hard disk?)

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu May 07, 2009 6:56 pm

TITBAG wrote:
otnooishphoo wrote:microsoft needs to bite the bullet and drop legacy support.
thats what mac did.

you are such an idiot. pretty much everything you type is retarded
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98872

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 am

otnooishphoo wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Vista was the OS to skip, but Windows 7 is going to be the one to get. only took MS about a decade to catch up & produce a modern OS they suck but you know that already. I will give it another couple of months and then switch I guess.

but it's not modern, it's the same base NT code from the 90's
they just keep adding bloat to it.

sure it runs faster, the machines are faster now.
you don't know shit about code do ya....

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 am

just installed rc1 tonight... i gotta say, it makes a much better first impression than vista

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 08, 2009 3:22 am

otnooishphoo wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Vista was the OS to skip, but Windows 7 is going to be the one to get. only took MS about a decade to catch up & produce a modern OS they suck but you know that already. I will give it another couple of months and then switch I guess.

but it's not modern, it's the same base NT code from the 90's
they just keep adding bloat to it.

sure it runs faster, the machines are faster now.

Apparently, they re-wrote verything for vista, which can be seen as a huge beta for 7 :-).

Vista didn't suck that much to be honest, you just had to disable a bunch of "improvements" and it worked like XP...err I mean like a charm :-) . Most of those "improvements" like the evil UAC (user account control) were removed from 7 from what I heard ...

pwal

Post by pwal » Fri May 08, 2009 2:22 pm

photonal wrote:From BBC WebSite : 'Many beta testers of Windows 7 have reported that it is faster than Vista, especially in terms of start-up and shutdown sequence of the computer.

Mr Curran said that the Microsoft Windows team had been poring over every aspect of the operating system to make improvements.

"We were able to shave 400 milliseconds off the shutdown time by slightly trimming the WAV file shutdown music.'

Wow, those Microsoft engineers certainly know there stuff!!! Optimise Windows 7 by editing the shutdown music!!! :)
all new OS installs run faster :roll: i just smallerised my win7 partition and installed ubuntu 9, which runs so fast i can hardly see it :lol:

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 pm

ok have finished doing a clean install over the upgrade of windows 7 using a flash usb drive

first thing:

upgrading from vista:

- this was extremely painless experience, but it did take about an hour and a half
- i did hav some registry errors appear whenever i started win 7, i think this proved to me even more that a clean install was worthwhile as clear some probs from my old vista copy were carrying over to win7
- my motu soundcard was having issues being recognised, but i did sort this out re-installing the latest motu828mkII 32bit usb drivers in win vista sp1 compatability mode
- i was still get audio dropouts on my sound card, quite frequently, although this did happen a lot in vista as well, motu hav notoriously bad drivers for windows
- about 30 gigs of my hard disk were randomaly freed up --> cannot explain this, but definitely a nice bonus

clean install from flash drive
- took about 20 mins, super quick

- windows 7 runnign with no registry errors
- soundcard installed without having to go through the compatability mode (strange, but again a nice bonus
- everything is running MUCH faster. im having no audio dropouts so far (fingers crossed)
- i cannot even begin to explain how much better ableton 7 is running, not that i thought it was running particularly bad before, but cpu meter would go between 50%-80% after having about 6 tracks in a project
- ableton 7 now has 4& - 18% cpu (my testing hasn't been that extensive yet, but still a very noticable difference).

i am now very glad i have gone ahead and done this. ableton have been very supportive when i have asked about upgrading to the windows 7 rtm (or mac os x, depending how i feel with windows in a few months), so a new license hopefully won't be too much of a problem.

anyone considering upgrading from vista to windows 7 - DO IT!!!! i would highly recommend a clean install after doing both an upgrade and full clean install. things are much fast and smoother. i feel like i have bought a new pc, no exaggeration.

specs:

windows 7 rc1 32bit
ableton 7.15
intel dual core 2.2ghz (santa rosa)
2gb
160gb hdd
geforce 8600m gs
realtek hd audio
motu828 mkII usb

pwal

Post by pwal » Sat May 09, 2009 7:16 am

can the RC be upgraded to full version once it's available? (the beta can't)

Gab

Post by Gab » Sat May 09, 2009 8:19 am

Check MS's website to be sure, but I think it can be.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'