Is Kore 2 a Must for softsynths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evanb

Is Kore 2 a Must for softsynths

Post by evanb » Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

So I am debating Kore 2 right now, I do have a bunch of softsynths and would like to management of one interface as well as the knobs to control the parameters? I do have a novation remote keyboard but dont wnat to make tons of custom maps for all the synths and am not hapy with the automapped parameters

So for those who own or use Kore 2 what do you think?

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Is Kore 2 a Must for softsynths

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

It's a must if you're a komplete owner. Or if you find it used with hardware for under 200 like I did.
Otherwise it's just really cool. Especially the morphing.

I don't think it's a must by any means, but it sure does let you do some cool things. If I'm patch designing I prefer to open the synth alone, without Kore. And then open the saved patch in Kore for the morphing or layering of sounds. Kore is a great way to keep your track count down, as you can put some sounds together and use key splits and such.
Professional Shark Jumper.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm

evanb wrote:I do have a novation remote keyboard but dont wnat to make tons of custom maps for all the synths and am not hapy with the automapped parameters
Kore 2 might not be right for you either, then.

There's two sets of pages for a plugin; the plugin page (which are all the parameters assigned in the order that the developer ID'd them) and user pages (where you create and name your own pages). The plugin pages aren't editable; you'd need to copy them to a user page if you want to rename controls or reassign things. And, a lot of developers either use obscure names for parameters or just use numbers. Hence, you'll be making a lot of your own pages anyways.

The user pages might have a couple EA (for easy access) pages that are preconfigured, but it's not a given.
So for those who own or use Kore 2 what do you think?
Personally, I can't see being without it. It's the first thing I fire up in standalone when doing sound design, and the first plugin I insert in any of my hosts. YMMV...

Your Kore forum moderator,
ew

evanb

Post by evanb » Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm

As for the weird naming, I would think that NI used some decent names and mapped the right parameters for their softsynths?

Well i just pulled the trigger.good timing as I just received an email stating I get the 6 Kore packs for free now..almost makes me wonder if there is a kore 3 coming as I got a great deal on kore 2 as well
Last edited by evanb on Mon May 04, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evanb

Post by evanb » Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Oh on another note is automation recorded in ableton with the vst parameters?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 pm

evanb wrote:As for the weird naming, I would think that NI used some decent names and mapped the right parameters for their softsynths?
For their own? Yeah- for the most part. However, remember that Kore hosts all your plugins, and not just NI's.
Oh on another note is automation recorded in ableton with the vst parameters?
Yep. And, you can reorder your pages so what you want is in the first 128 parameters. That's important if you're using a version of Live that's pre-v8.

ew