Do I NEEEEED Battery3??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re.mark

Do I NEEEEED Battery3??

Post by re.mark » Wed May 06, 2009 8:19 am

Arrrrrrr... Cant decide.
At the begining of April I said to myself Id definately buy it towards the end of May, whilst its still on offer for €99 at Native Instruments, but as times been going on Ive been umming and arring about it cos moneys a bit tight and that.
I cant decide, so want you guys to help!! :D
What do you think??

Id love it, cos I loved played round with the demo of it, and the samples that come with it. But there are slightly more imporant things the money could go on. But its a damn good deal.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

danzel

Re: Do I NEEEEED Battery3??

Post by danzel » Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 am

absolutely not

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 am

no.

just get used to use live's racks, or drumracks. Get good one-shots banks.

but if you don't have ANY drum bank in your drives... 99$ could be a good solution.
for me this is only what's really interesting, I mean, the n Gb of one-shots provided with the plugin.

you choose. :wink:

toph

Post by toph » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am

I think your way of working and the sounds you already own should help to make your decision.

I switched from Logic to Live some time ago and have a lot of my drum-presets in exs-fomat. For that Battery is fine in comparison to Drum-Racks/Instrument-Racks, because you can't import anything else than Akai there (that's for Sampler only, not for Drum-Racks). And as you are not able to convert Sampler-Presets to Drum-Racks, there still doesn't seem to be another way than building presets again from ground to get existing ones into Drum-Racks.

Another point is, that i like the handling and the GUI of Battery, but Drum-Racks are more flexible in the end.

C.

stallos

Post by stallos » Wed May 06, 2009 9:09 am

I wouldnt say you need it but it is a pretty cool plugin.
Great libraries for 99 and theres something comforting about those big drum pads!
the only drawback for me is that you cant drag and drop samples from lives browser.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am

Battery has a pretty BAAD ASSS library of sounds...
and it's a pretty extensive drum machine plug...
low on CPU as well..
and there's no parameters limitation since L8...
(of course you could do everything within Live...)
but I think it's great...(don't own it btw)

necho

Post by necho » Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm

I love Battery 3. I always use it instead of drum racks - probably because I've been using it longer than I've been using Live.

Its a matter of taste really, but the killer for me is the Battery 3 EQ and Compressor. They're specially calibrated for drums/percussion and are PERFECT for beefing up a slightly weak drum sample.... the low end of the EQ is especially badass. You can turn a standard kick into a huge subby monster instantly... or give a snare instant body and punch...

Also - it has a convolution reverb - not the best but very handy...

I like the Battery workflow and effects so much, I use it to build my drum sounds from raw waveforms and bits of noise, before resampling them and chucking them into Kontakt for beat creation.

Not saying that Live's drumracks aren't cool, but for me, Battery is more than just a sample player... its a sound design tool.
_________
sigs suck.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Wed May 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Some very good comments here.... not making it any easier though lmao
necho wrote:Battery is more than just a sample player... its a sound design tool.
Yerr thats one thing I noticed in the demo, messing around with a kick sample I managed to turn it into some mega crazy growling reece type thing fairly easily. Crazy thing. About 20up on drum racks, Im still rolling with simpler not sampler here too, so lack that aspect when it comes to DRs.......
decisions decisions decisions

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed May 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Now you've got me thinking about it again. Dammit.

toph

Post by toph » Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm

stallos wrote:the only drawback for me is that you cant drag and drop samples from lives browser.
You can do so in Live 8 with Battery 3. Tested that one minute ago. ;-)

C.

necho

Post by necho » Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm

toph wrote:
stallos wrote:the only drawback for me is that you cant drag and drop samples from lives browser.
You can do so in Live 8 with Battery 3. Tested that one minute ago. ;-)

C.
Oh shit - now I'm gonna have to upgrade to Live 8.
_________
sigs suck.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Yes. Music of any quality cannot be created without the use of Battery 3. I'm sure you see the logic.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed May 06, 2009 4:41 pm

necho wrote: Not saying that Live's drumracks aren't cool, but for me, Battery is more than just a sample player... its a sound design tool.
I agree that Battery is a sound design tool, but drumracks are just as good with sound design - just use the effects devices you want and map the macro knobs to their parameters. Dead easy, and super flexible. OP, I really don't think you NEED Battery 3, unless there's some killer workflow feature that you just can't get from Live natively (which there might be, but I'm not familiar with how you do things).

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed May 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Get it for the libraries. Great multi-sampled kits and percussion (and electronic one-hits). I use both Racks and Battery. When I can't be bothered making multi-layer multi-sampled hits in DrumRacks, I just load Battery into a track and start playing away or programming into a new midi clip.
Life is Good

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Do you own Sampler?

I recently bought Battery 3, but I still find that Drum Racks/Sampler is my preferred method.

At some point I'm going to try Guru, as that seems to be a justifiable purchase alongside Drum Racks/Sampler, since the load time between kits is amazingly fast. Battery 3 on the other hand has the same load time as Drum Rack kits and I honestly just don't see much greatness in the Battery 3 kits themselves.

You can buy more and better kits from PrimeLoops.com (their one-hit sample collections) than what you find natively with Battery 3.