Drum tabs/patterns - I wanna learn

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
feytus

Drum tabs/patterns - I wanna learn

Post by feytus » Wed May 06, 2009 1:00 pm

So, I've got loads of tracks in my head, lots of drum beats and basses, melodies etc, but I have never really made music (except for playing shitty bass in a crap punk band a few years back), and I'd really like to learn how to make rhythms that actually sound good. I can make some rather basic rhythms in Ableton Live using Impulse and adding some samples, but I can't really plot down what I want, because I can't decipher the beat in my head down to every small hit.

So! Does anyone know of a website or a program where there are presets/tabs that show a whole bunch of rhythms or drum beats? I want to SEE how the drums are programmed/played, and try it out in action myself.

Any tips? :)

UKRuss

Re: Drum tabs/patterns - I wanna learn

Post by UKRuss » Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Load up some of Abes clips and see what they've done, reverse engineer if you will.

Otherwise, it's just a qustion of dut-chitting and ding-changing in the right places.

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 pm

Go check out freedrumlessons.com, I taught myself the basics of drumming through that site which I translated to beat programming and finger drumming. They have great video tutorials and the basic notation to go along with them.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 pm

also playing with the Groove Pool in Live 8 you can get lots of great new sounds from plain old beats. then you can take the groove from new beats and make even more.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

feytus

Post by feytus » Mon May 18, 2009 11:55 am

bit of a slow reply here, my computer has been fucked for some time. thanks for all the tips, guys. :)

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Somebody recommended this book to me...

http://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patt ... 744&sr=1-2

Very basic but that's where I'm at so it works well for me. Plus it's like $10 usd.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 18, 2009 4:47 pm

all you ever need to know:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Try taking a 2 or 4 bar loop of a song that you like the pattern.

I load this and warp it as a clip in Ableton. Then, create a midi track w/ impulse or drumracks loaded up.

Then, you have two options:

1. Use your ears and lay everything down, listen over and over and figure where everything goes.
2. Switch to Arrange View. Play the loop you like, then expand the midi clip below it and use both your ears and the visual cues of the soundwaves of the loop to see where everything is placed.

Additional thoughts:
Basic Techno and House Patten: Kick on the 1, 2, 3, 4. Snare on the 2 and 4. HiHats in 16th notes.
Basic Hip-Hop Pattern: Kick on the 1 and 3, Snare on the 2 and 4. HiHats in 8th notes.

Not sure what kind of stuff you are doing but hope that helps in some way.