ableton license question and windows 7 rc1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

ableton license question and windows 7 rc1

Post by robleighton22 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm

i am about to fully install windows 7. i have a concern about the ableton license.

i have ableton registered to my current windows vista machine. when i install windows 7 and resetup ableton, will that use up the 2nd license u r entitled to? obviously the windows 7 rc1 stops working from march 2010, so i will need to buy windows 7 (or downgrade back to vista), and i am worried i won't b able to install ableton as the amount of license i am entitled to will run out. can anyone confirm this?

currently using ableton 7

many thanks

importedearthman

Re: ableton license question and windows 7 rc1

Post by importedearthman » Wed May 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Email support@ableton.com they should be able to give you the definite answer.

My best guess is yes this will use up the other license. However if you check with Ableton, I'm sure they can re-issue you another license when your OS expires. Especially if you are providing feedback positive or negative to how things are running for you in Windows 7.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:05 pm

thanks, just emailed them now and awaiting a response.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Wed May 06, 2009 6:09 pm

let us know the outcome as i'm also thinking of trying out W7 RC1.

Gab

Post by Gab » Wed May 06, 2009 8:14 pm

That's eleven months of free full trial before the RC undergoes a limitation. Did you think they'd allow you to use 7 for free forever? :lol:
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Someone on Gizmodo wrote:
So, it will shut down every couple of hours? How is this different from any current release of Windows?
:D

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 pm

I was about to put Windows 7 on a spare drive. I would also like to know about this before I go to the trouble.

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 pm

oh i know.
but it would be funny to see it start doing to people earlier then march 1st.

that would be a classic m$ move.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 am

so far not great. ableton definitely needs use of the 2nd license, even if u upgrade from vista as opposed to clean install (which is what i have done). also im having issues generally. my motu828 is not working. the drivers install, but the unit is not showing in the sound properties.

im not gonna authorise ableton yet. im going to prob do a clean install of windows 7 as im having too many issues from the upgrade. (lots of registry errors that weren't appearing before the upgrade).

creature

Post by creature » Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 am

Ableton are normally really good at giving extra unlocks if you explain your need. I have had to reques this a few times are machine reinstalls and replacing machines.

Steve

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 pm

im glad to hear it! i appreciate the main point of the license is to stop people pirating and using abusing the product. Obviously if u hav pc issues and need to do clean install, change computers or upgrade an os, then you shouldn't have to pay anymore for a product unrelated to this process. I won't need a new license for a while, but will do come march 2010.

i am a little concerned also as i can't find my vista boost disk to revert back. hopefully i can pay for an upgrade to windows 7 from rc1, but this may not be likely.

at work at the mo, so i intend to do a clean install of windows 7 either tonight or tommorow - anyone know if you can do this from a usb hard disk (which has other files already saved on this) - my dvd burner seems to fail whenever i try and burn something?

Gab

Post by Gab » Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=install+windows+7+from+usb+drive

;)

Yeah, it can definitely be done, as soon as your computer can boot on USB (check your BIOS settings).
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Gab wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=install+windows+7+from+usb+drive

;)

Yeah, it can definitely be done, as soon as your computer can boot on USB (check your BIOS settings).
thanks, do you have to format the usb drive? i have all my data backed up on there?

also, if i have windows 7 already installed and want to do a clean install - do i even need the iso on a flash drive/virtual drive/dvd? Can i do it just the hard drive?

thanks loads

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 pm

got my sound card working - live is soooooooooooooooooooo much fast. oh my god. i thought it was running fine before in vista, but cpu was always 50% when a lot of tracks, and often higher. open a track that would usually b fairly slow and live cpu meter is showing 17% max. very impressed, i still think i am going to do a clean instal of windows rc1.

still getting audio dropouts on my motu 828mkII. quite frustrating, gonna try some older drivers and see how it works.

i am happy so far, plus i seem to have about 30gigs extra free on my hard drive, no idea why. another random bonus.