Warp from Waaa?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JessGins

Warp from Waaa?????

Post by JessGins » Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm warping mainly EDM, but I can't figure out for the life of me which of the warping options are best. I try to do side by side comparisons and go back and forth to see which method gets me closer to a perfect warp, but I can't tell......any EDM DJ's out there that manually warp their tracks know which options are best? Also, between complex, etc?

In advance, thank you so much for any help! I'm struggling here lol

-J

JessGins

Re: Warp from Waaa?????

Post by JessGins » Wed May 06, 2009 11:21 pm

bump

JessGins

Post by JessGins » Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 am

Anyone who knows the best answer to this, please help me out here!

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 am

I'm not sure I understand completely. If your asking for the best warping method, it really is whichever way you feel comfortable that allows you to warp a large amount of songs rapidly/accurately. To be honest, I still feel wonky using Live 8's warping, so I warp everything in 7. :oops:

As for the best warp mode, there has been numerous discussions here about which has the least artifacts, etc. The short of it is re-pitch, which is the most "natural" warp mode, adds the least amount of artifacts. I typically warp all of my songs using this mode, but the other modes aren't too far out of reach in case I *really* want to mix in a song and the keys are clashing.

JessGins

Post by JessGins » Thu May 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for the response. Wouldn't re-pitch change the pitch of the sample of audio in between the two warp markers as it is stretched and compressed?

A friend of mine told me complex mode was the best. He isn't too experienced either so maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Also, if I warp a whole song in "Complex" mode,and then later switched the setting to "re-pitch", would that change the audio file automatically?

-J

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 am

Re-pitch does change the pitch of the audio, but only when the audio is playing at a tempo slower/faster than the original tempo. Think of the pitch bend on a record player... It's just like that. Typically, when I warp EDM tracks, I only need two warp markers. One at the beginning and one at the end. This means that the entire track will always play at the same pitch while in re-pitch mode, no matter what the tempo is. Some tracks need a few more warp markers, and some still quite a few more, but as long as your warping is accurate, you shouldn't hear too much of a difference in pitch from one marker to the next. The adjustments made will most likely be very small.

Still, in some cases you may prefer to use complex mode. The problem I find is that the high end of the track tends to suffer, even at small tempo differences. (i.e. the hi hats sound "squeaky" to me) The beauty is Live doesn't alter the audio file in either case. It simply stores a .asd file along with the original audio file and references that for your warp settings. You can switch back and forth to your heart's content and never degrade the original audio. Try doing that with tape! :P