What soundcard do you use for your laptop?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ark

Re: What soundcard do you use for your laptop?

Post by ark » Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 pm

E-mu 1616m Cardbus.

ioxa

Post by ioxa » Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Metric Halo 2882

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri May 29, 2009 6:44 pm

RME MFII

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri May 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Access Virus TI keyboard!

jesso

Post by jesso » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Either the fireface or the firebox do the trick.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Emu 1616m

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 pm

RME Fireface 400 and Multiface I
RMBP i7 2.8GHz | OSX 10.14.6 | Live10.1.15 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 pm

why cant I have nice things... :(...

fast track audio pro, its ok I guess.
Because Whatever.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Fri May 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Has anyone tried the new express versions of the Echo Indigo range?

I know the originals were well regarded, but have yet to see any reviews/feedback on the express slot versions.

If you only need limited connectivity they should be ideal: high quality sound, and they don't take up a USB or Firewire port.

Destro

Post by Destro » Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm using a Novation Nio 2/4 and I'd say it offers a good bang for your buck. I play a mix of Dubstep, Breaks, Dubtech and Minimal about 4 times a month and my Nio's have served me well. It's built like a rock, offers decent output quality and is more than capable of holding it's own in small to medium sized clubs. If you're going to be playing in larger venues, however, I'd advise some heavier artillery, like the Apogee Duet.

I thought my Nio's sounded fine until I heard my mate's Duet. It's not a night and day difference, but the Duet's output just sound better on the whole, especially the bass (this was no surprise, considering my mate bought the Duet's on the recommendation of CEE from bass fiends Al Haca/Crunchtime) The Duet's cost about three times that of the Nio's, though.

If you need more recommendations, head to http://www.djtechtools.com/tag/sound-cards/. The website's a great resource for laptop dj's, so check it out if haven't already. Hope this helps!

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 pm

using a MOTU ultralight MK3 here, its a tank, but a bit more expensive than some other models, I also have an m audio fast track pro but I have had driver error issues with that.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 am

Da grooviest... Echo Indigo IOx.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

aleme

Post by aleme » Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Just bought the one from here

http://stores.shop.ebay.de/Wolffstore__ ... mit=Finden

Very good sounding audiocard. If you´re resident of the European Union, just grab one. dirty cheap and worth its price. Mic Pres are from SPL, also very good sounding and quiet.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Kenshin wrote:Ok, so let`s say i`ve choosen a MIDI controller so i can use Ableton on my laptop but i don`t think that onboard soundcards on HP laptops are so good. as the sound quality is very important in a club, i wanted to ask you what soundcard (external) do you use at your gigs.
for playing out / dj-ing i use a stanton scratchamp2, i got it for free {costs around 500 euros, standalone] and have to say i really like it. it gives me ultra low latency, two outs/ins plus mic in and phones out, which is enough for my needs outside the studio and the sound is damn punchy and FAT. (it was developed with the sony pro audio department) and it does not need any drivers whatsoever, plug and play!!!
it's a bit heavy, but built like a russian tank and i can throw it around, ideal for gigging. it also powers easy via firewire, no need of a PSU.

if i had to buy a new one i would get an NI audio kontrol8 for outside the studio. for shure!

there is one thing that saved my life already a few times, all those studio cards which are great for gigging also, like the motu ultralite have one disadvantage, jack plugs! ever lost, forgot or had a broken cable...? a standard chinch cable you get anywhere in any country, even sometimes in supermarkets... or from a guy in a club. because pretty much everyone has one at home... but try to get a jack to chinch or any other 'special' adapter... quickly.

that's why i always would go for a chinch connection... (for a 'gigging' card) even it is 'unprofessional' and unbalanced, but with a cable lenght of max. 1m to the mixer it doesn't matter. but can save your gig.

edit: maybe it's just me, but i come from the event audio engineering side... so it's a built in thing to be always prepared for the worst scenario ever, because everything can happen only the show not happening not.
*** Image GAFM ***