OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 9:40 pm

fair warning this is a trick question, but alot of talk across the airwaves today about reverse racism this was curious to me as neither today or yesterday there was not as much talk across the airwaves about racism.
so which do you think is worse?

Pitch Black
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by Pitch Black » Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Racism and "Reverse Racism" are the same thing: Racism. And that's bad.

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by sparklepuff » Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 pm

What the fuck is reverse racism?
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Android Bishop
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:03 am

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by Android Bishop » Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 pm

why is racism bad? I think its kinda dumb to pretend like there aren't particular traits shared by any given demographic, and that includes race. What I think sucks is the idea that one should be treated differently BECAUSE of their race regardless of their personal merit, which includes both sides: people not getting a job or not being allowed in the country club because of their race or the idea that people HAVE to hire a certain number of people of a certain race or race specific scholarships or any other kind of special treatment.

I think reverse racism may be worse because it keeps the race divide intact but it does it in a way that doesn't provide incentive to fix anything. if minorities want to be treated equally they'd try to drop affirmative action, cancel out all their minority scholarships, and fight for an end to "hate crime" legislation (a crime is a crime, who hates who shouldnt matter). You'll never see them do that, however, because these things give them special treatment and nobody wants to be cut off from the cookie jar or lose their sense of entitlement. Thus the race divide is kept intact, only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even field.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 pm

ummm android the thing you say you think sucks is what racism is, racism is not the existence of different races so what are you saying? cause you start off your post with why is racism bad?

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by sparklepuff » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

I love black people. Is that reverse racism?

I don't get it.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Android Bishop wrote:only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even field.

how would you go about getting everyone on an even field?

scott nathaniel
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Android Bishop wrote:why is racism bad?

I think reverse racism may be worse because it keeps the race divide intact but it does it in a way that doesn't provide incentive to fix anything. if minorities want to be treated equally they'd try to drop affirmative action, cancel out all their minority scholarships, and fight for an end to "hate crime" legislation (a crime is a crime, who hates who shouldnt matter).

I find this type of statement to be utterly pointless. You veil your point with generic terms such as them. First, "who are the them you speak of? Black people?
You'll never see them do that, however, because these things give them special treatment and nobody wants to be cut off from the cookie jar or lose their sense of entitlement. Thus the race divide is kept intact, only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even fiel
Have the courage to say what you really mean, because you know as well as I that what you just wrote is quite divisive and a bit ignorant. You can do better than this, B!

Android Bishop
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:03 am

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by Android Bishop » Thu May 07, 2009 10:14 pm

starving student wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even field.

how would you go about getting everyone on an even field?

Start treating people based on personal merit and eliminate race-specific legislation and programs. A major part of this has to come from minorities themselves, but like I said that will never happen. So long as they have an opportunity to pull the race card to get special treatment they will continue to use it.

Android Bishop
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:03 am

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by Android Bishop » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

scott nathaniel wrote: Have the courage to say what you really mean, because you know as well as I that what you just wrote is quite divisive and a bit ignorant. You can do better than this, B!

I am writing what I mean. The point I'm making is that race will always be an issue so long as people make it an issue, BOTH WAYS. Whether its a college not allowing minorities to attend, to organizations giving out scholarships based on race and mandating a certain quota of people of certain races regardless of who is actually qualified or not to attend. Its all "racism" and none of it is good. The problem with "reverse racism" is that because it offers a positive experience for the race it is targeting, and therefore doesnt provide any incentive to eliminate that race barrier.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 10:18 pm

I think android has put alot of thought into this issue and has some intresting points I'd like to hear what he has to say.
like regarding the changing 'hatecrimes' to being labeled just as crimes thats intriguing, do you believe that crime punishments should not be retroactive as well?

btw lets not insult anyone folks cause these things affect us all

scott nathaniel
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu May 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
starving student wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even field.

how would you go about getting everyone on an even field?

Start treating people based on personal merit and eliminate race-specific legislation and programs. A major part of this has to come from minorities themselves, but like I said that will never happen. So long as they have an opportunity to pull the race card to get special treatment they will continue to use it.
What's wrong with this is that racism and the deleterious effects are long lasting. The privileges aloted to families of fortune is far more outrageous to me than affirmative action. The disparity between jail term for blacks vs, white is far more outrageous to me than a few kids getting into some thirdrate Cal State program. I think that in little as 40 years ago blacks were segregated and not allowed in white schools merits them being allowed extra privileges for at least a century. My 2 bits

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Android Bishop wrote:


I am writing what I mean. The point I'm making is that race will always be an issue so long as people make it an issue, BOTH WAYS. Whether its a college not allowing minorities to attend, to organizations giving out scholarships based on race and mandating a certain quota of people of certain races regardless of who is actually qualified or not to attend. Its all "racism" and none of it is good. The problem with "reverse racism" is that because it offers a positive experience for the race it is targeting, and therefore doesnt provide any incentive to eliminate that race barrier.
AB isn't there incentive for the primary targeting of racism?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by beats me » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Will this last as long as my stereotype thread? We shall see.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: OT: Trick Question which is worse Racism or Reverse Racism ?

Post by starving student » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
starving student wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:only nobody will actually fight to get rid of it and get everyone playing on an even field.

how would you go about getting everyone on an even field?

Start treating people based on personal merit and eliminate race-specific legislation and programs. A major part of this has to come from minorities themselves, but like I said that will never happen. So long as they have an opportunity to pull the race card to get special treatment they will continue to use it.
now lets say that was done and all of this race specific legislation is eliminated, is that all that would be needed to level the playing field?

Post Reply