Ableton HARDware !!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Ableton HARDware !!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:15 am

Hi,

After a lot of searching the net I can't find a device that can allow me to (since I'm also a dj) beatsync Ableton Live with my 1210's and Pioneer mixer .. I think this is VERY important when you play in clubs and it would be like heaven to drop in samples and test some self made pieces straight in your set. Maybe others have a solution and the way I do it now is just read the tempo of my Pioneer Djm600 and put that number into Live. Then thru the headphones I pitch a little with the up and down arrow on my computer keyboard to match the kicks and so on .. There WAS one device that worked but I heard it's out of production and very hard to find these days.. Red Sound - Beat Xtractor www.redsound.com ..

Ableton guys,

Since you provide us the software to play and do all the things we want .. Can't you invent a small device to have Audio - Midi Sync and maybe some other cool features .. I think it would be a very nice addition to Live itself ..

Fred

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:28 am

what i do is assign a midi knob (or slider if you will) to the Master Tempo.
and then set its absolute maximum and minimum values according to the general range of BPM that i am trying to match up with. You can assign this in the Arranger view.

say for instance i know from using Ableton's "Tap Tempo" that its somewhere in the range of 140bpms.
well then i'll set the minimum to 138 and the maximum to 142. This means that the midi knob range of 1-127 is controlling between 138 and 142 bpms.

If you kow how to beatmatch with 1210's, try this, you'll see its quite helpful. if anything its similar to using a CDJ. You can then either Start Live with the spacebar, or do 4 lead in "taps" plus a "start" tap to start Live4.

Also, if you use for instance an Evolution UC-33 for midi control, you can put the sliders in drawbar mode (reversed, up is slow, down is fast). and this would emulate a Technics pitch control.

I used to want a good midi sync device like you, but found this technique to be much more like having a 3rd turntable, and it feels more natural to me.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:29 am

They could do it in software actually.. no need for a piece of gear.
I have a red sound microsync and it works like a champ.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:27 am

AdamJay wrote: Say for instance i know from using Ableton's "Tap Tempo" that its somewhere in the range of 140bpms. Well then i'll set the minimum to 138 and the maximum to 142. This means that the midi knob range of 1-127 is controlling between 138 and 142 bpms.

Also, if you use for instance an Evolution UC-33 for midi control, you can put the sliders in drawbar mode (reversed, up is slow, down is fast). and this would emulate a Technics pitch control.
That's a very nice solution !! gonna try it in a minute ANd i own a Uc33 but how to put those sliders in drawbar ? And how to set the range to say like from 122 (like in the lower bpm i play) to 137 (i do not go higher) ?

Thx a LOT

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:15 am

Found and it works like AAAH !! I really set a small range like from 127 to 133 so the fader is really correct cause it aint a pitch slider from a 1210 ..

Again thx !

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:43 am

no problem, and in draw bar mode you can really mimmick the 1200's pitch. you figure that the 1200's pitch is +/- 8% total right, well the UC33 sliders are about half the length, so figure +/- 4% for the same response as a Technics pitch control.

4% of 130 is 5.2 bpms.
so 125 to 135 bpms as minimum/maximum on the slider would give you a very similar response.

i only wish the UC33 would allow you to DrawBar just 1 fader, and this is why i use a knob for the tempo instead.
Though i hear Midi Yoke allows you to do such a thing, something worth looking into if you REALLY want to get the Technics feeling down.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:10 pm

Anonymous wrote: And how to set the range to say like from 122 (like in the lower bpm i play) to 137 (i do not go higher) ?

Thx a LOT
1. Go to the arrange view (NOT the session view).
2. Select the MASTER track
3. Select the TEMPO for automation.
4. Set the view range to 122 min and 137 max.

I don't have Live on this computer right now, so I can't test it -- I am going from memory here. BUT, I hope that helps.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

euterke

Post by euterke » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:33 pm

Best thing his to hook up an Electribe ESX-1 with the an audio line in with the auto bpm scan active... so everingthing will be sync.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:23 pm