1st look at new Reason product

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Re: 1st look at new Reason product

Post by hoffman2k » Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Angstrom wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:I think its fairly obvious from their reactions what this is.
Reason now has an audio input!
Which comes as a standalone module :D
HA!

Awesome.. I called it!
I swear I didn't know beforehand. I just went with my biggest gripe and joked about it.
Figures I was dead-on :lol:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/05/0 ... -new-tool/
I saw that earlier and figured you had some advance knowledge.
that was pretty weird!

and more exciting than the actual product.
I was expecting something a lot more - um, interesting/imaginative/ground breaking?
I'm still experiencing small after-chuckles :D

2 things that prevented me from staying with Reason was the lack of Audio input and VST automation recording with its funky linear sequencer.
They'll never support vst's so it just had to be the audio input.

It makes that teaser video twice as funny. Look at it again and consider the possibility these people are humoring the props by being overwhelmed.

But we'll know all the details tomorrow I guess. For all we know they announce multidimensional recording.
I wouldn't mind doing a record with 3 alternate copies of myself.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 10, 2009 3:31 pm

scientist wrote:some details from an attendee.
http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/s ... p?t=294135
his summary: companion DAW-like program to co-exist with reason. dongle. 'console' modeled on SSL. timestretching.
my summary: meh.
Meh for sure.
I guess that for Reason users this will seem like manna from heaven, of course they have been asking for this for years. But to an outsider I can't help but think of the missed opportunities. I guess I expected more after reading Peter Kirn's
CreateDigitalMusic wrote:you don’t get entirely new ideas about how to put together a commercial music application very often. Actually changing the mold is a big challenge. Propellerhead’s own Reason and ReBirth, Ableton Live, Image-Line’s Fruity Loops (now FL Studio), and Sonic Foundry (now Sony) Acid all had a big impact on a wide group of computer music makers by effectively changing the mold.
to me this is the opposite of breaking the mold, this is the most un-imaginative bit of software I have seen in a long while. The key words here are "singer songwriter market", IE wistful people with an accoustic guitar and one of those gruff / breathy "emotional" voices.

I guess P.K's article misled me a bit, because my interpretation of "Mold-breaking" would be some kind of freaky new non-linear arrangement system with a great new way of handling parallel versions, EG for 5.1, stereo, alternate remixes for different markets/media, sending out stems, etc. All in a tidy and unified way. Surely THAT is the world we live in? One that requires variation on the linear. And that is the missing DAW right now, the true non-linear flexible DAW.

Well, I guess we'll see if singer-songwriters have been crying out for this app.
But all those types that I know use Protools or Logic. :roll:

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Sun May 10, 2009 9:49 pm

hmm,

i would be cautious before burying guys who invented sooo many cool stuff so far....

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Angstrom wrote:But all those types that I know use Protools or Logic. :roll:
or whatever 'lite' software came with their soundcard.

I do pine for the days when all I wanted to do was record guitar into something and be completely oblivious to the 10 billion options that something like Live affords me (or distracts me with.) maybe I can perform a partial lobotomy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon May 11, 2009 3:41 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Angstrom wrote:But all those types that I know use Protools or Logic. :roll:
or whatever 'lite' software came with their soundcard.

I do pine for the days when all I wanted to do was record guitar into something and be completely oblivious to the 10 billion options that something like Live affords me (or distracts me with.) maybe I can perform a partial lobotomy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :( you so right. I got into this game 10 years ago so I could record my guitar ideas. I was once a guitar player, and a dam good one......then I got all distracted with all this stuff, synthesis, producing, etc..... and now at the end of the tunnel, I lost my chops, and I suck like I did 25 years ago when I first started......
Gosh, I remember my old bands recording on 1/2-1 inch tape with an engineer with a bad wig in the late 80's- mid 90''s. We rehearsed our songs to death so we could lay down the takes with minimal overdubs.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 am

man, that was awful. i didn't see a single thing in that demo that hasn't already been done (and done better) by another company five times over (and five years ago). seriously, is it just me or is that on par with acid pro? oh, how the mighty have fallen.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 am

One thing in that Teil2 video that would be nice to have in Live's Looper:
loop recording which saves each loop separately. See between 5:00 and 6:30

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 am

Isn't there a hack that allows you to enable audio inputs in Reason 2.5?

This has been much in demand by Reason users for a long time and I believe they had found work-arounds already.

If Live output midi files for Rex loops then who would need Reason.....

-Ben

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 am

the time stretching is pretty fupping incredible, you have to give it that. If i didnt already have the best DAW in the world i would definitely consider it, seems like a great partner for reason.

webslave

Post by webslave » Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 am

My quick reaction to this is I hope it kicks Ableton up the arse to realise that many musicians just don't want to layer multiple tracks of bleeps and drum loops.

Seriously - vocal comping is a killer feature alone. So whilst Ableton are busy adding yet another way to make you synth track sound different other products have things like vocal comping, good basic piano sounds and strings built in (tension does not does weird sounding strings only). I use Ableton over Logic because of it's speed and lack of too many dead ends but it's really been obsessed with bedroom dance producers. If anyone at Ableton tried to record a full band using Live then mix it they would have improved the arrange view a while ago.

It's good but with only a few proper features could have been great. At the moment I'm looking at Record and thinking it might just be a goer. You've got until September for at least comping to be added Ableton :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 am

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/

So its the Swedish take on garageband it seems.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 am

seems like something between garageband and logic. for 150 bucks, not bad i guess.

the warping engine seems pretty bad ass too.

i honestly cant tell how ironic that video is though. . you wacky swedes..

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Mon May 11, 2009 10:40 am

Looks like a pretty decent product, I can see a lot of bands choosing this due to it's easy work-flow.
At just over £100 for current reason owners, you'd have to buy it.

Nothing of any extra benefit for me - I'm one of those bedroom dance producers :D

BTW the time stretching clips 8O

forge

Post by forge » Mon May 11, 2009 10:43 am

Angstrom wrote: And that is the missing DAW right now, the true non-linear flexible DAW.
sadly ironic on this forum.