OT: So I've decided to sell my Virus and MPC. Why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinaiz

Re: OT: So I've decided to sell my Virus and MPC. 4 reasons.

Post by dinaiz » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

evanb wrote:I decided to buy kore 2 to optimize my workflow with my Soft synths and so far I love it and very compact,
Do you think Kore 2 is the ultimate generalist expander ? (By generalist expander I mean something like hypersonic, with all kinds of sounds), cause I'm considering to buy it ...

evanb

Post by evanb » Sat May 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I am not familiar with that software but will say its an amazing sound library as well as sound designer and the fx are great as well...well worth $300 plus now you get 6 free extra sample expansion kits which is like a $200 value as well so its a no brainer...

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat May 09, 2009 4:28 pm

evanb wrote:So I think it comes down to if you have a real space issue or its a money thing
yep, those are the main two reasons. Space and finances. The other two are just secondary factors, but still helped make up my mind.

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Mon May 11, 2009 12:09 am

evanb wrote:I am not familiar with that software but will say its an amazing sound library as well as sound designer and the fx are great as well...well worth $300 plus now you get 6 free extra sample expansion kits which is like a $200 value as well so its a no brainer...
Cool ! And what do you think it's worth it if you already own Live Suite 8 ?
What about CPU usage ? Is it way bigger than ableton instruments ?

evanb

Post by evanb » Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm

dinaiz wrote:
evanb wrote:I am not familiar with that software but will say its an amazing sound library as well as sound designer and the fx are great as well...well worth $300 plus now you get 6 free extra sample expansion kits which is like a $200 value as well so its a no brainer...
Cool ! And what do you think it's worth it if you already own Live Suite 8 ?
What about CPU usage ? Is it way bigger than ableton instruments ?
Well like all NI stuff its kinda heavy on CPU although I have no problems on my MBP. As far as worth if you own suite well hats really up to you, i think it offers something different

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 pm

aqua_tek wrote:I'd been debating and sleeping on this over the past couple of weeks. And now I've made the decision. The MPC and the Virus must go
Hey man, im selling my Ti Polar too. For the same reasons, except I don't need the money, its just become obsolete. Surge is my main workhorse now. The interface is way better then the Ti vst interface, or in fact any vst ive tried! Everything is on one page, including 12 lfo/envelope combos, with one button press assign to any part of the synth. 8 macros too! And you don't need a hardware synth device when your out of the studio! haven't been so much fun programing since Virus A! And it sounds fantastic too. :lol: Zebra wasn't my cup of tea though, no time to program it. It is of course very nice and sounds fantastic but.. I did a test: In one night I managed to make 3 really nice presets with zebra. The next night I made close to 80 presets with surge, at least 50 of them were very usable to me, and as advanced as I ever could get with a virus, and then some. Its not modular though, but im not a modular type synth guy anyway.
Last edited by ze2be on Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon May 11, 2009 3:52 pm

check out these sweet little pics

one of the mpc 1000 customized and the other of a case i'm thinking about getting for my 1000 with some adjustments

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1033701#p1033701

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=114504

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

contakt321 wrote:
aqua_tek wrote: 2. need of space. seriously, space is at a premium in nyc, so i need to make the most of it. Need to get rid of some of the dead weight to make my room slightly less claustrophobic.
Amen.

I feel your pain.

Amen ... that said I have a massive juno 106 keyboard in my tiny apt that I wouldnt ever sell, haha.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:08 pm

CHARLIE! wrote:
contakt321 wrote:
aqua_tek wrote: 2. need of space. seriously, space is at a premium in nyc, so i need to make the most of it. Need to get rid of some of the dead weight to make my room slightly less claustrophobic.
Amen.

I feel your pain.

Amen ... that said I have a massive juno 106 keyboard in my tiny apt that I wouldnt ever sell, haha.
I just bid on a Juno today :(

Couldn't help myself. I am telling myself I am just going to make multi-samples and sell it (by telling I mean lying)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Yeah maybe eventually I'll get some other synth... right now I have a tiny microkorg to ease hardware withdrawal symptoms. :lol:

Anyways... I'm creating a "for sale" post for the virus ti polar right now. $1850 plus shipping within the US, just in case anyone's interested.

bog

Post by bog » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

evanb wrote:I was feeling the same way when i got my maschine...although I was still buying hardware as i didnt have much
I could do most things in maschine and live
Yeah, Maschine all the way. MPC heads are finally waking up to Maschine:
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114227

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Would an APC40 plus an MPD32 be overkill?

I'd preordered the APC about a month ago, before I decided to get rid of all my hardware... and while I am planning to keep it for live gigs and as a general studio controller for Live (it should work in this way too), I think I'd also like a pad controller to play with the Drum Racks. After selling my MPC, mousing around feels unnatural.

Not going to get another MPC of course, that would defeat the purpose of simplifying my setup... strictly thinking of a USB pad controller.

So... since the APC40 should be able to control most mix and FX parameters in Live, I'm wondering if an MPD32, with all of its knobs and sliders would be controller overkill, and maybe I should just get a simpler, cheaper pad controller, like the MPD24, the padKontrol, or trigger finger.

Thoughts?

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Padkontrol with the APC 40 would make sense.

Padkontrol has the best pads in terms of sensitivity, even if you miss dead center and hit a corner, it will still register as a hit.

It's less expensive than the MPD 32, and you can get them really cheap used.

it seems like you don't need all the sliders and knobs of the MPD 32. But even then, the Padkontrol gives you a X-Y pad (something the MPD doesnt have) and the pads can send MIDI CC's. Of course there's also the two assignable knobs as well.

Plus there's all kinds of interesting third-party software that can make the Padkontrol do weird things.

Although, the MPD 32 has the midi clock sync abilities with note repeat function and dedicated button. The swing feature isn't too spectacular since its only applied to note repeat, and Live 8 has the groove engine.

The 32 is bigger, alot bigger, which is cool, but not cool if you want to be portable and save space. The APC 40 with the MPD 32 would probably take up a small office desk.

But the 32 also has a nice LCD display that's more descriptive and probably easier to edit templates on the fly than the PK.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks! i've been doing some research and from most of what I've read, it seems that the padkontrol is a little flimsy? All reviews and pad controller shootouts seem to favor the MPD series. I still feel the 32 may be overkill...

Maybe the MPD24 is the best compromise between the MPD32 and the PK.

I might also consider the NanoPad... but I have to be honest, I don't think it looks very durable eithr... plus I have a little bit of OCD. I wouldn't feel right not having a 4 x 4 matrix :oops: :lol:

Thanks again! I'll be mulling it over in the next couple of days.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Thu May 14, 2009 4:04 pm

No noterepeat with mpd24...go with 32
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube