[OT] Alcoholism. Willing to share your problem?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
serge_a_storms

[OT] Alcoholism. Willing to share your problem?

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 4:23 pm

I don't know if I'm an alcoholic or not but I suspect I am. I can go days without a drink but as soon as I have one, I want to see it through to it's 'natural' conclusion. Although sometimes I have a couple and then just stop.

I'm also aware that I'm doing it. It's weird. Like I know it's wrong but I can't stop. I suppose that's why it's an addiction. But it's also like I want to punish myself, so I push it.

I'm not affecting anyone but myself. No one is suffering except me and even I'm not sure if I am but it's playing on my mind. So much so that after a few this afternoon I feel compelled to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet.

So, Is anyone willing to share there experiences of the run up to admitting they were an alcoholic?

pm. If you feel more comfortable. This is truly genuine.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

djsynchro

Re: [OT] Alcoholism. Willing to share your problem?

Post by djsynchro » Sun May 10, 2009 5:04 pm

My advice: Get help. Addiction is one of those weird things where you're doing it yourself but feel unable to stop.
Help is available if you're motivated. Good luck, it will take you a while.

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Are you talking from experience?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Sun May 10, 2009 5:15 pm

serge_a_storms wrote:I'm not affecting anyone but myself. No one is suffering except me

All I can say the above is never the case. And thinking that is one of the safe havens for the true alcoholics (can't make judgement if this applies to you sir)

Seek help, it can't hurt-

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Rave wrote:Don't worry too much about it. You sound like one of the many thousands of British binge drinkers. Start worrying when you want a drink in the morning, getting done repeatably for drink driving and your hitting the hard stuff.
Hmmmm. touching words.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Parametex wrote:
serge_a_storms wrote:I'm not affecting anyone but myself. No one is suffering except me

All I can say the above is never the case. And thinking that is one of the safe havens for the true alcoholics (can't make judgement if this applies to you sir)

Seek help, it can't hurt-
Yeah. I'm kind of realising that. It's a bit weird to admit to a (percieved) failing.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun May 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Drinky Drinky!

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Gab

Post by Gab » Sun May 10, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm not willing to dwell on my own experience, but I totally back djsynchro's advice. Knowing that what you do is weird/wrong do not mean you can release yourself from your addiction. If you want to free yourself from it, admitting it and talking about it are the first steps but you won't go far without any strong help/support.

I may be a painful journey at first (can seem quite self-destructive), but when you reach the end you'll only benefit from it. Whatever you chose to do, all the best ;)
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

abort

Post by abort » Sun May 10, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm still FMAO with loopstation's post :mrgreen:

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 5:28 pm

abort wrote:I'm still FMAO with loopstation's post :mrgreen:
lovejoy! there's no nead for that! I'm not sure if your trying to scare me to quit?

:?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Rave wrote:Don't worry too much about it. You sound like one of the many thousands of British binge drinkers. Start worrying when you want a drink in the morning, getting done repeatably for drink driving and your hitting the hard stuff.
The amount of alcohol in a beer's the same as in your typical bar drink; you're just consuming more fluid.
My tip for you is to not have any booze in the house. If you do make sure it aint a lot so if you do clean your place out you haven't had a stupid amount to drink.
So, instead you go out...

@ serge- yeah, I've been there. I hung out with a bunch of "party all the time" people, and didn't really see anything wrong with it. Sure, I called in sick a couple times when I was too hungover, but all my friends did that. Normal, huh?
A lot of stupid behavior went on for around five years or so, but the real crunch for me came in a two week period. I had to work one night at 10 PM, and about 3 PM or so I thought "Ah, I'll stop at the bar for a couple and go home". I left at 9:30 totally shitfaced, and went to work. Needless to say, this didn't go over well, and I got suspended for a week.

I didn't have anything to drink that week, and went back to work. We had a softball game that afternoon, so I left work semi-early and went to play. By the third inning, I was shitfaced. We went to my favorite bar atfterwards; and none of the bartenders would serve me. This was 2:00 in the afternoon :oops:

I checked myself into detox that night and went into treatment three days later. It was 28 years ago last Wednesday that I had my last drink; it's the only reason I'm still around today. YMMV...

ew

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun May 10, 2009 5:52 pm

....Not to mention how your "behavior" affects those around you......
My mother was a saucer, she justified her divorce from my father......she was angry, abusive and belligerent
I learned from an early age to dislike her. I am almost 40 now, we have not spoken more than a few times since I was 16. She will never meet her grandchildren......tragic!
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Rave wrote:
ewistrand wrote:
The amount of alcohol in a beer's the same as in your typical bar drink; you're just consuming more fluid.
Can you drink pints of Vodka?
Not sure of the relevance of that...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 pm

spreader of butter

abort

Post by abort » Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 pm

No, I just thought it was funny is all.

but yeah just walk away clean. Eat something good drink soda, forget about who you were yesterday. and just stop buying alcohol (.)

Stop going to those stupid, nasty, shit hole bars. You won't find yourself or anyone of value their.

and stop thinking about it period.