Live 7 and Virus Snow or TI? Do you have midi timing issues?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Vertical

Live 7 and Virus Snow or TI? Do you have midi timing issues?

Post by Vertical » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

I am using the latest version of Live 7 with the latest OS3 Virus VC software on macbook (latest model). I have no problems with the plug in, while I have the tracks armed, I get pretty much zero latency. When I go to record midi in a clip, all the recorded notes are delayed by quite a bit.

I have tried enabling the 'live' button in the VC interface, and I end up with notes the end up earlier than what I recorded.

The only thing that works well is if I open up another midi track in LIVE with the VC vst in an existing midi track, and set up an external midi device that points to the VC VST. Only then do I get perfect midi timing. HOWEVER, that only works for the first track. On the 2nd midi track I open and create an extrnal midi device for, and point it to the VSTi track, The timing is also delayed by a lot.

Does anyone use the VC VSTi successfully without any timing issues? How are you doing it?

I have even played around with midi delays in LIVE, but the delay amount seems to keep changing per midi channel part, and is a headache to keep track of.

Vertical

Re: Live 7 and Virus Snow or TI? Do you have midi timing issues?

Post by Vertical » Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Well, after some playing around, I have come up with a decent work flow that maintains correct midi timing.

Basically, I use the VC vsti as is for part 1, and then a midi track to control the VC track for subsequent tracks. Part 1 seems to just work fine. For the subsequent tracks, I need to add in 60ms of delay while recording, and return the delay to 0ms for playback.

I write this here in case someone else needs to know.

lazlo_funktek

Post by lazlo_funktek » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi, I also have Ableton Live 7 and a Virus TI Keyboard.

I've been having sync problems too, and I noticed that you also had the problem where the track that the plugin is on is fine, but the rest are delayed. I've noticed that this happens even with Ableton's own instruments - if you use another track to trigger it, it's delayed. I noticed this when I was trying to keep the track with the plugin on set to 'In' so I could use it live - but then to have another track with a loop on to trigger it. It was an arpggiator, so I could tell it was out.

I'm really quite baffled as to why this would introduce latency.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm

does checking the "live" button in the vst gui not help?

lazlo_funktek

Post by lazlo_funktek » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 am

I'll give that a try. I've been wondering what that does for a bit.

Whilst testing the system yesterday, I found that if I have 8 or more MIDI tracks, I get latency when using arpeggiators. Any less than 8 and the arpeggiator instantly goes back in time (that's even without the TI hooked up). Weird.