APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
acidman

Re: APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Post by acidman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:10 pm

update!

apc40 @ jrr shop $399
apc4ß @ thomman price raised from 449,- eur! to 469eur!! :roll:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm

nice! i'll have two please :twisted:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Music Store Cologne also 469 Euros (663 Dollars at todays interbank rate)
I think Akai are really taking the piss.
By the way I'm in Holland NOBODY has one, they're now saying September.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Actually at JRRshop you can type as a coupon "group" or "forum" which will give you a 15% or 10% discount. (Which works out to about the shipping to Europe)
I bought my UAD-2 from them, including having to pay shipping & 19% VAT I saved over 100 Euros.

IP

Post by IP » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 pm

I was thinking to get it from JRRshop too BUT what about the support?? :/

I may buy it much cheaper but what if something go wrong with the unit???
what about the service policy for Europeans who bought from US?

Should the unit go back to US?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Yes, because as a European getting a reasonable price too Akai responds with a polite "fuck you". :twisted:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 pm

djsynchro wrote:Actually at JRRshop you can type as a coupon "group" or "forum" which will give you a 15% or 10% discount. (Which works out to about the shipping to Europe)
Cool.. How do you do that? Is it a "group buy" thing?
jrrshop.com/

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:04 pm

It is but it's not, they're just really cool muso's (eric's always on the UAD forum and KVR and Gearslutz) try "group" if it doesn't work try "forum" that will give you a 10% discount.

If you buy from JRR make sure to tell them to mark the contents as "USB computer controller" or something like that (which it is, it doesn't make sound or anything).
Computer peripherals are 0% EU customs tariff so you only pay your country's VAT, musical instruments would be more.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 pm

djsynchro wrote:It is but it's not, they're just really cool muso's (eric's always on the UAD forum and KVR and Gearslutz) try "group" if it doesn't work try "forum" that will give you a 10% discount.

If you buy from JRR make sure to tell them to mark the contents as "USB computer controller" or something like that (which it is, it doesn't make sound or anything).
Computer peripherals are 0% EU customs tariff so you only pay your country's VAT, musical instruments would be more.
Aw cool.. Well, Norway is actually not member of EU, and I think we have 25% VAT on anything from other countries.. So the 10 or 15% will help on that.. I will look up the USB computer controller thing at customs here, maybe it exist here too.. After all a lot of the EU laws are forced on us, even though we are not part of it. Thanks..

sherman

Post by sherman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 am

acidman wrote:for eu software we all pay the same > euro amount.
for us software. most of eu customers have to pay in euro. (if you buy it eg at local music store..)
sidenote: often eu sw is cheaper in us shops as in eu. (thats the craziest stuff of all!)

449,- euro (apc in eu) = $609 instead of $399 in us.

normally shops convert $ directly to euro. eg something in us cost $100 we have to pay 100eur.

but now its $399 in us and (converted) $609 in eu? there is something completely wrong if you ask me.
who is the sucker which collects $200 here. (this question is not regarding customs ;-)

and as it`s produced in china as all the other stuff > the way of the product to the customer is the same.
fuckin eu. sorry but i really hate this so much. :evil:
Probably been said but I'm not reading 8 pages of (well deserved) whining. Australia *wishes* we got ripped off like euros.

StoreDJ is still taking preorders @ $999 AUD = $830 USD. $200USD less than you guys are complaining about AND they still aren't officially released over here yet.

W. T. F?
--sherman

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:39 am

sherman wrote: Probably been said but I'm not reading 8 pages of (well deserved) whining. Australia *wishes* we got ripped off like euros.

StoreDJ is still taking preorders @ $999 AUD = $830 USD. $200USD less than you guys are complaining about AND they still aren't officially released over here yet.

W. T. F?
Buy it from a web shop in the states, and ship it over. Ive done it many times. Gotta take some risks in life.. for the money you save, you can almost buy a new one if it gets lost.

vicz

Post by vicz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:46 am

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

i payed 399 for an APC lastweek in the UK and cant grumble for the money.

regarding the pricing disparity im sure there will be an element of profiteering, afterall its the name of the game in business.

but, you need to look also at legislation and law differences, trade agreements and many other things before laying the blame at Akai's door.

all country's make their own rules about importing goods & how much duty will be charged based on the type of goods & coutry of origin.

for anyone in the EU google "EU taric codes" and work out what duty an APC attracts. compare that with the USA.
not sure about the rest of the EU but in the UK, your charged duty, + vat. theirs also vat on the Duty + import duty and vat on the shipping.
then bare in mind the US dollar is the world reserve currency chineese companies will quote everything in dollars, so you have conversion fees from euro/sterling to dollar.

there are a lot of reasons that can affect the price.

but its fair to say in europe we get ripped off, basicly cos we take it in the ass time and time again. its just not nessasarily fair to assume its AKAI doing it.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:14 pm

also the only reson situations like this can exist is because the patent & copyright laws suck. if they were globalised none of this would be an issue, as the patent and copyright holders wouldnt be able to use the laws to restrict trade.

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 pm

djsynchro wrote: Computer peripherals are 0% EU customs tariff so you only pay your country's VAT, musical instruments would be more.
Where did you find this info?