Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silence

Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Post by Silence » Tue May 12, 2009 1:37 pm

ok granted, i´ve never reaaaallly played with mpc but...well...this is all i ever wanted from an mpc b
ecause other then that i have no idéa what makes and mpc an mpc.

i´ve been trying the live 8 demo, ive only had live 6 before and played around with the live 7 demo.
beeing a student i held back on getting live 7, tbh i never really owned live 6 myself but rather
used it in a studio of a friends. But now with live 8s groove extraction and drum racks and what not,
i think its a grate tool!...

Tbh i have no idea why im writing this, ive just played around with samples and cut them up using
the slice to midi function and used drum racks in a manner i think would be mpc:ish snd so far im
having a blast!

problem is it doesent feel that serious...ohh yeah and that god damn demo crashes on me like
3 times per session so thats veery annoying!

bla bla bla bla

wanna discuss? go a head, dont want to? then ill just see this thread get buried amongst the rest i´ve written...
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

kb420

Re: Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Post by kb420 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Don't worry about. I have some bugs I'm dealing with in Live 8, but it never ever crashes on me.

I've been saying since Live version 7 that Ableton Live is like having a MPC on steroids. To me, programs like Guru and BPM don't have anything on Live. It handles all of your MPC like needs nicely.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 20, 2009 6:59 pm

i can't tell if you are really trying hard to escape your desire for an mpc or what?
anyway they are just tools, I have two mpcs right now and plan on purchasing two more and suprisingly I won't have to endur any overlap as I need them all for their specifics even so if you wanted to take ableton live from me you'd have to kill me then kill yourself and follow me to the afterworld to get it by which time I'd probably be giving the king of hades Live lessons and you would still come back empty handed with no life and no Live cursed to be the ghost that haunts tiesto for all eternity.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Wed May 20, 2009 7:18 pm

starving student wrote: anyway they are just tools, I have two mpcs right now and plan on purchasing two more and suprisingly I won't have to endur any overlap as I need them all for their specifics even so if you wanted to take ableton live from me you'd have to kill me then kill yourself and follow me to the afterworld to get it by which time I'd probably be giving the king of hades Live lessons and you would still come back empty handed with no life and no Live cursed to be the ghost that haunts tiesto for all eternity.
Reading that hurt my brain.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 pm

starving student wrote:i can't tell if you are really trying hard to escape your desire for an mpc or what?
anyway they are just tools, I have two mpcs right now and plan on purchasing two more and suprisingly I won't have to endur any overlap as I need them all for their specifics even so if you wanted to take ableton live from me you'd have to kill me then kill yourself and follow me to the afterworld to get it by which time I'd probably be giving the king of hades Live lessons and you would still come back empty handed with no life and no Live cursed to be the ghost that haunts tiesto for all eternity.
I need some vicadin after reading that.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Wed May 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Yea dude, i've also got a MBP, it crashes the whole damn time, I can work with it, but it's VERY annoying.

I've seen a lot of threads today people using MBP and complaining about live 8 crashes.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 pm

starving student wrote:i can't tell if you are really trying hard to escape your desire for an mpc or what?
Two?! I didn't know you had two...! I want a 2000XL to go along side my 500. There's no way I can afford one though (not after that snare!) and the thought of having to spend $300 on replacing the screen if it ever went down fills me with more dread than... than... being the next to last man standing in a sailors-on-shore-leave convention!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 pm

shoot 2xls are going for so cheap ev3n fully maxed, but I need one for specificly controlling live and the 2xl is perfect for that and then I need a 2500 to balance out the 500/1000s that I've got. I'd use the 2500 for strictly samplebased and nothing else all by it's lonesome, the 500 stays with me whereever i go and the 1000 is hooked up to a gang of synths.

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 am

if your being serious about owning a bunch of MPCs thats the most retarded thing ever :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 am

calls for a studio pic.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am

drumrak wrote:if your being serious about owning a bunch of MPCs thats the most retarded thing ever :roll:
they all have different purposes, features, and feels/workflows

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 21, 2009 8:58 am

starving student wrote:
drumrak wrote:if your being serious about owning a bunch of MPCs thats the most retarded thing ever :roll:
you probably think that my two bass guitars and 2 electric guitars and 1 accoustic guitar is retarded too
no better yet you probably think that I have a pair of refference monitors in addition to mixing monitors is proof of down syndrome wait a cotton pickin minute I'd give up half a klondike bar if I'm wrong about the fact that you...the type of person you are... is almost by universal law bound and gagged by the garauntee that you probably think I'm insane for having more than one type of turntable or a 61 key controller as well as an 88 key controller but above all else I bet you think I'm a complete and utter king doofess for disliking both sean puffy combs and kanye west simotaneously!!!!!!!!!!!

ok look man.........you got me, I'm retarded but I've got a question for you, how many synth plugins do you have?
I guess what he means is not that you're retarded but ...
probly...filthy rich...(which I'm not hating on.. good for you !)

...that you actually plan on owning 4 MPCs in addition to Live...
I'd call that luxury...
as for your analogies....
guitars are CRAFTED instruments with each having it's own different TONE...
hardly relevant as all MPCS are digital samplers with pads..

same goes for monitors...each pair will sound different...
and has it's own voice...

and Synth plugs don't cost minimum 1000$ a piece...

neither do controllers...

seeing that you're using live...
I also don't see the point in having 4 glorified samplers to accompany it...

especially when you can get 4 great pad controllers (PadKontrols/MPDs)
for less than half the price of one MPC1k...

Puffy and Kanye will probly think the same...when they see you rolling in with 4 MPCs+a laptop...
they'd be like... 'WTF does he need that fo ? '

...that being said... if I did want to own 4 hw samplers...
in today's day and age...they'd be all from the SAME model..
(which would probly be Roland's MV-8800 OR MPC1000/6000)
but I won't ever need a sampler...so... :mrgreen:

not saying you're crazy...just trying to understand your priorities...

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

well there's lots of misconceptions there, first off none of the mpcs sound the same and I'm not an audiophile at all they literally don't sound the same just like diff emu samplers don't sound the same esi/etc...
I would never have 4 samplers that were the same model, what would be the point.
it breaks down like this, the 500 stays with me whereever i go, it's portable, runs on batteries and is lighter than my laptop, the 1000 sequences hardware synths and does some sampling duties but you know the size of the 1000 is small even though it packs a big punch, once I get the 2xl it will be my version of maschine but instead with the controller I like and the software I like mpc2000xl/Live maschine doesn't feel physicaly as good as the 2xL and the software doesn't feel as good as ableton, I also control Live with the 1000 which is great but the 2000xL feels even better. the 2500 will come in as a stand alone unit
that goes on the opposite wall with the turntables, it will be too far away to be comfortable to use with
the other stuff but I want it for it's size and purely for sample based anyway, the closest thing to overlap would be the 2xL/Live vs. the 2500 but the reason why they don't overlap is because they sound differnt and working with the mpc controlling Live is not at all like just using the mpc by it self alongside some decks.

as far as being rich I'm starving :lol: I don't even eat only my samplers get to do that and I would never spend $1000 on one of them either. my 500 was $300, the 1000 was 350+an old midicontroller, the 2xL i'm looking at is maxed out and only 500 and I won't spend over $900 on a 2500 plus the more people that get maschine the better the prices will be.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 21, 2009 3:04 pm

starving student wrote:well there's lots of misconceptions there, first off none of the mpcs sound the same and I'm not an audiophile at all they literally don't sound the same just like diff emu samplers don't sound the same esi/etc...
I would never have 4 samplers that were the same model, what would be the point.
it breaks down like this, the 500 stays with me whereever i go, it's portable, runs on batteries and is lighter than my laptop, the 1000 sequences hardware synths and does some sampling duties but you know the size of the 1000 is small even though it packs a big punch, once I get the 2xl it will be my version of maschine but instead with the controller I like and the software I like mpc2000xl/Live maschine doesn't feel physicaly as good as the 2xL and the software doesn't feel as good as ableton, I also control Live with the 1000 which is great but the 2000xL feels even better. the 2500 will come in as a stand alone unit
that goes on the opposite wall with the turntables, it will be too far away to be comfortable to use with
the other stuff but I want it for it's size and purely for sample based anyway, the closest thing to overlap would be the 2xL/Live vs. the 2500 but the reason why they don't overlap is because they sound differnt and working with the mpc controlling Live is not at all like just using the mpc by it self alongside some decks.

as far as being rich I'm starving :lol: I don't even eat only my samplers get to do that and I would never spend $1000 on one of them either. my 500 was $300, the 1000 was 350+an old midicontroller, the 2xL i'm looking at is maxed out and only 500 and I won't spend over $900 on a 2500 plus the more people that get maschine the better the prices will be.
:lol:
cool...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 pm

makes me want to get an MPC...