Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm not saying that one is better suited for the task than the other. Actually THAT was my point. You can have a room full of machines or a simple laptop with a few usb controllers hooked up to it, and you can still make music. Good music and horrible music.

It all just comes down to what you want to use. Some people want to keep it simple, streamed down, and uncluttered. It feels good to them. And that's fine.

Others enjoy the clutter of old and new machines. They like having these items in their studio or room. It feels good to them. And that's also fine.

So why fight about it? It's not like hating on one or the other, or preaching as to what is better (in our own opinions), or justifying our choices based on X famous producer's or musician's setup, is going to make us any better at what we do. Right?

Let's all hold hands and sing.

musicmachine

Re: Ableton Live 8 + padKontrol = all i ever wanted from an mpc

Post by musicmachine » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:04 am

zalo wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:
Hermanus wrote: mac vs pc is like the neverending story in electronics
It's a neverending story here and it's analogous to the ridiculous hardware vs. software debate, which we are seeing again, for the 32405982093487th time, in this thread.

If a guy wants to have 10 mpc's in his studio, so be it. If another guy wants to have 10000 plugins, out of which he'll probably use 10, at most, so be it. Some people like the feeling of dedicated hardware, others prefer software. Some will prefer to record and sequence into Macs, others into PC's. Some will use Live, others will use Logic, others will use Cubase, others will use Sonar, etc. etc. etc.

in the end, WGAF.
honestly, the difference is disappearing between everything in almost every case, macs and pcs now have the same guts basically, the modern sampler only needs a bigger screen and a browser and its a laptop, and laptops just need velocity sensitive keys and sturdier casings to be samplers

15 years ago, these arguments were valid, there were massive differences between everything, but now it all comes down to intangibles, things like "feel" now are the deciding factor for what to use, it took me years to get used to using a computer for music production.

i think what my point is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxT21uFRwM
I'm in bits here. :cry:

There is still an issue of stability and reliability with software imo. That's one of the main reasons i got an mpc1000. It's primary purpose was live use but it integrates so well with my daw and i can transfer samples to and from the mpc so the workflow is great. It fills a void that is missing for me and that's hands on sequencing, almost every aspect of the music making process can be carried out from this one interface that's smaller than a laptop. As you can probably tell i love my mpc. It's a great little machine and tho it might not look like much it's awesome for making music with. I think mine has crashed twice since i got it. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|