Rediscovering a band years after you first heard it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UKRuss

Re: Rediscovering a band years after you first heard it

Post by UKRuss » Thu May 14, 2009 8:20 am

The Last Broadcast, man that takes me back a good few years. I listened to it all winter that year, so now when i hear the opening track now (although it has been done to death in commercials and sports review programme as backing music to 'goal of the month etc.') I feel cold and can see my breath and see the frost on the ground.

Listened it to death though, no way i could put it on again now.

Doves, far better as Doves than the shite they used to do as 'Sub Sub' back in the day though eh?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu May 14, 2009 10:53 am

nomeansno - i got into them in about 87 and i drift away from them every few years. then i'll get out one of their early 90's albums after not listening to them for ages (0+2+1, or the live one, or mr happy, or wrong, or the worldhood of the world or, or, or...) and they always absolutely do me in with how mint they are.

bongwater too

i might get some wolfgang press out this weekend as well, now you got me thinking

x

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 am

Darwinist wrote:In 1997 I first heard this rather obscure band that had been getting a bunch of rave reviews in the metal press called Neurosis. Heard one song and just didn't get it...now I realize that I was just too immature to handle something of this magnitude of artistic achievment. My favorite band today since I rediscovered them a couple of years ago.

Neurosis is fucking killer :D

Love their use of samples too.
"Are you lost? Yes"
Their comming to roskilde :D
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu May 14, 2009 11:07 am

Someone just sent me another copy of The Cardiacs, A Little Man and A House.

That takes me back too, what a great album, plenty of stuff on you tube as well.

They were a Kingston band and for me never really got the credit they deserved, but they did pretty well and locally we all loved 'em!

Nice to get back into 'em again now.

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Thu May 14, 2009 11:53 am

Darwinist wrote:In 1997 I first heard this rather obscure band that had been getting a bunch of rave reviews in the metal press called Neurosis. Heard one song and just didn't get it...now I realize that I was just too immature to handle something of this magnitude of artistic achievment. My favorite band today since I rediscovered them a couple of years ago.
My mate Pete roadies for Neurosis :)

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am

I tried to listen to Miles Davis when I was in my late teens as he was supposed to be sort of ok at playing this jazz stuff with a trumpet n shit......

Only getting it now at 41.

pieter

Post by pieter » Thu May 14, 2009 12:20 pm

a swedish band called fireside has a great album called "elite". at first i didn't care. years later i had a melody in my head and i couldn't point out where i've got it from. very frustrating. then i realized it was fireside. i checked the album again and fell in love with it.

more recently i hated the killers' single "human" from their latest album. after a while there was a "click"... i think it's a great song now.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu May 14, 2009 12:28 pm

ha! New Order has been my favorite band since 1984! :)

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Doves. Interesting.

I never used to enjoy them, despite being in a 'crowd' where Doves were promenant. I'm more of an Elbow fan, me'self. However, thismorning, my Thursday deli had a Doves album playing and I found myself enjoying it.

Might have to re-introduce them into my system.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Thu May 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Small Faces - they made little or no impact Stateside - probably the greatest British band that never made it in America. (In 1967 they charted with "Itchykoo Park", but nothing else.)

Now, getting back into their magnum opus LP, "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake" from 1968 I can appreciate what all the fuss was about. The quintessential mods from the East End: Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan and Kenney Jones. East London's answer to the The Who.

Ronnie, Ian & Kenney joined with Ron Wood and Rod Stewart (both from the Jeff Beck Group) to form the Faces. Years later Kenney replaced Keith Moon in the Who. Steve Marriott went on to form Humble Pie with Peter Frampton. Ian McLagan tours with the Rolling Stones.

Type "Small Faces" into the search bar on You Tube...
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm

nebulae wrote:ha! New Order has been my favorite band since 1984! :)
What can I say other than sorry for being late to the party. :-D
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:Small Faces - they made little or no impact Stateside - probably the greatest British band that never made it in America. (In 1967 they charted with "Itchykoo Park", but nothing else.)

Now, getting back into their magnum opus LP, "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake" from 1968 I can appreciate what all the fuss was about. The quintessential mods from the East End: Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan and Kenney Jones. East London's answer to the The Who.

Ronnie, Ian & Kenney joined with Ron Wood and Rod Stewart (both from the Jeff Beck Group) to form the Faces. Years later Kenney replaced Keith Moon in the Who. Steve Marriott went on to form Humble Pie with Peter Frampton. Ian McLagan tours with the Rolling Stones.

Type "Small Faces" into the search bar on You Tube...
When i first went to london back in the early 80's i used to go see steve marriot all the time.
Got to the point where we would hang, talk shit and drink beer.
He was playing casual blues gigs in pubs up and around north and east london.
once or twice ghosts from the past would come up and jam, or even sit in.
Jimi page jamed with him one night...
Rory Gallagher..
Wilco Johnson..
Peter frampton..
The ones i missed where..
Jeff beck..
Paul Weller...
and Eric Clapton...
I went into a deep deep deep blue funk when word got out that he had passed away.
My buddies got to play with him one night and they did the most intense version of i don't need no doctor.

*Scurries off to down load small faces and humble pie*
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 pm

New Order will always be heroes of mine, Substance 1987 - I actually wore out 2 cassettes of that album and 1 vinyl album, even the second side with the dub versions and B sides. I have bought Substance 1987 3 times on cassette, twice on vinyl and twice on CD (one for home, one for the car etc) because I love it so much. I also love Joy Division and anything with Johnny Marr's guitar playing (The Smiths, The The, Electronic etc). I don't know why I did New Order so much, they are definately not great musicians, Bernard Sumner's voice is not very exciting or expressive, their music has little meaning and is usually quite cryptic, and their music doesn't exactly make you wanna tear up the dance floor (exceptions being Blue Monday and Fine Time) but I just LOVE em.

I have recently gotten back into The Chemical Brothers, I thought their early stuff was cool, more than just a couple of beatfreaks with an Akai sampler, even if that pretty much was what it was, they got too much into poppy collabs, but have enjoyed their more recent stuff. Happens to us all. Stuff buried in a basement. I agree with The Small Faces, Ogden's Gone Nut Flake is a classic album indeed and I always liked the Jesus and Mary Chain.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu May 14, 2009 8:37 pm

^ I think I love New Order BECAUSE they're horrible musicians. But they are brilliant music makers! And I can relate to that :)

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 pm

nebulae wrote:^ I think I love New Order BECAUSE they're horrible musicians. But they are brilliant music makers! And I can relate to that :)
I try and argue this difference with so many people.
Its quite sad really how many people don't quite get the difference.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud