Cycling74 Drops Plugin Products

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chaircrusher

Cycling74 Drops Plugin Products

Post by chaircrusher » Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 pm

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/5/14/101259/594

In a nutshell, they'll no longer be selling or developing their Pluggo, Hipno, or Mode packages.

This is a little disappointing, moreso for Max/MSP standalone users who were waiting to get Pluggo for Max 5.

The good news -- if you happen to have bought Pluggo, Hipno, or Mode -- is that these products will make you eligible for some kind of discount on Max for Live. And they're planning on moving some of their plugins to Max for Live...

Johnisfaster

Re: Cycling74 Drops Plugin Products

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 pm

I gave up on pluggo ages ago when this happened.

a new pluggo came out, so I downloaded it, it didn't work. ohhhhh okay so I need to update pluggo... now the old ones don't work (some 500 old pluggo's) but the new one does. so I revert back to the old pluggo version but the new one doesn't work. so I go to the pluggo forum and complain about it a bit. they responded by saying that the old pluggo's will all have to be updated. but we're talking about 500 pluggo's by 200 different developers, certainly not everyone is gonna update them. at that point I decided to ditch pluggo altogether as I don't want to be in a situation where something stops working for all time. you're in a situation where development is being left up to amature hobbiests that never get around to updating anything... no thanks. I'll use tools that are supported.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm

We have decided instead to focus our development efforts on a single application, Ableton Live
8O
spreader of butter

chaircrusher

Post by chaircrusher » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm

b0unce wrote:
We have decided instead to focus our development efforts on a single application, Ableton Live
8O
Now to be fair, Cycling74 is a small company, without 1/10 the resources of Ableton. They have to make some tough decisions about resource management, both developer time and money. How small? I know Josh Clayton and Darwin Grosse, and that means I know half of their developers.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 14, 2009 7:41 pm

which brings me to PACE.

PACE, PACE, PACE.... while focusing developments on one single application...I hope they toss PACE into the shitter where it belongs, rather than bring it into Ableton
spreader of butter

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee » Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Kinda sucks for Pluggo, etc users. But....

Looks like really good news for M4L customers! In fact, I'd say that this is quite a boon for that application. It looks like this partnership is turning out even better than I had originally envisioned it would, in fact. I can't wait!

circuitse7en

Post by circuitse7en » Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 pm

b0unce wrote:which brings me to PACE.

PACE, PACE, PACE.... while focusing developments on one single application...I hope they toss PACE into the shitter where it belongs, rather than bring it into Ableton
they did... M4L is going to use the ableton style authorization.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

circuitse7en wrote:

official statements or it's not going to happen.

So far, i've only seen 'some guy on the internet' say they've ditched it.
spreader of butter

circuitse7en

Post by circuitse7en » Thu May 14, 2009 9:18 pm

b0unce wrote:
circuitse7en wrote:

http://www.cycling74.com/special/maxforlive

in the Who is selling Max for Live? section...
cycling74 wrote:Add-on products (such as Operator) can be authorized by entering codes in the Live preferences window. Max for Live will work in a similar way.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 pm

b0unce wrote:
circuitse7en wrote:

Didn't you already start a thread about this somewhere and your question was answered?

If not the answer is that as of Max 5 C74 uses an internet activation scheme much like Live 8's.

http://www.cycling74.com/support/authorization
Unsound Designer

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 pm

circuitse7en wrote: in the Who is selling Max for Live? section...
cycling74 wrote:Add-on products (such as Operator) can be authorized by entering codes in the Live preferences window. Max for Live will work in a similar way.
sim·i·lar (sm-lr)
adj.
1. Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.

Have you used PACE ? When it works, it's similar to Ableton's system. When it doesn't work it's similar to non-consensual castration.

Similar.
SIM-I-LAR.

Stringtapper, I did start a thread about this. Some guy off the internet, aka noisetonepause, claimed they ditched it. I checked your link, read above. Seems to me they're still using PACE.
spreader of butter

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 pm

As part of our Max for Live development, we have begun to revive the highlights of the Pluggo audio effect and instrument collection, and a couple of screen shots below show examples of our efforts to date. Our Pluggo-inspired devices will be freely available for use with Max for Live

The real cool experimental shit & you can open it up and modify it Max for Live FTW!!!!!
:D

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu May 14, 2009 9:42 pm

b0unce wrote:
circuitse7en wrote: in the Who is selling Max for Live? section...
sim·i·lar (sm-lr)
adj.
1. Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.

Have you used PACE ? When it works, it's similar to Ableton's system. When it doesn't work it's similar to non-consensual castration.

Similar.
SIM-I-LAR.

Stringtapper, I did start a thread about this. Some guy off the internet, aka noisetonepause, claimed they ditched it. I checked your link, read above. Seems to me they're still using PACE.
In that link click on "Types of Authorization" then you will see that the PACE protection is only mandatory for earlier versions of Max. Max 5 can use the internet authorization system.
Unsound Designer

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 14, 2009 9:47 pm

hallelujah

I didn't believe, but now I kind of do.

Thank you, guys from the internet.
spreader of butter

parma

Post by parma » Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 pm

hmm...

well hopefully they'll have a bit of a M4L discount for us unlucky pluggo owners, especially if they're porting some of that stuff over

I won't hold my breath though...