APC 40 Step Sequencer Sensation !

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
G-force

APC 40 Step Sequencer Sensation !

Post by G-force » Fri May 15, 2009 12:42 am

Nice demo of MFL !! :D

This controller is really starting to look like the sh*t this summer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKrRoVKHCg

master swing

Re: APC 40 Step Sequencer Sensation !

Post by master swing » Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 am

very nice music also!!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 15, 2009 1:01 am

what kind of music is that?

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 am

fucking sick.

i'm taking my ball and going home :cry: :evil:

master swing

Post by master swing » Fri May 15, 2009 1:30 am

dcease wrote:fucking sick.

i'm taking my ball and going home :cry: :evil:
haha yeah I was sitting listening to my current production, then listened to that and thought damn, why am I not sounding like that.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 am

Hmm. I can watch those step sequencer vids (especially all the monomo/max things) and just never have a clue as to what the fuck is going on. It seems like a programming and memorization nightmare, lol. Jesus. WHAT DOES THIS BUTTON DO AGAIN? OH YEAH. THAT. haha. It really seems like something I'll have to physically start playing with. Kudos to you chaps who seem to know exactly what's happening when, because I've not a clue.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

moodles

Post by moodles » Fri May 15, 2009 2:07 am

Looks really awesome, but I don't really understand what he did - can someone explain?

I'm getting the APC40 and want it to be as flexible as possible, but I don't have the programming know-how to make it happen. A lot of this stuff is over my head.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 15, 2009 2:28 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Hmm. I can watch those step sequencer vids (especially all the monomo/max things) and just never have a clue as to what the fuck is going on. It seems like a programming and memorization nightmare, lol. Jesus. WHAT DOES THIS BUTTON DO AGAIN? OH YEAH. THAT. haha. It really seems like something I'll have to physically start playing with. Kudos to you chaps who seem to know exactly what's happening when, because I've not a clue.
This is the difference between some one poking and punching buttons, and some one playing an instrument.
Its a point i try and make when people ask "why is a step sequencer important, i can program drums with my mouse"..
Programing drums is about 1% of what a step sequencer can do...
I have an old friend that is about as traditional a guitarist as you can get.
He thinks computer/electronic music is all about switching stuff on and off while the program does the work, and that people that make music in this way are not musicians or performers.
I've tried to explain it,,, but he doesn't get it...
I have given up...

I'm not really sure what point i am trying to make here..

maybe just move along,, nothing to see here,,, :?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 am

Homebelly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Hmm. I can watch those step sequencer vids (especially all the monomo/max things) and just never have a clue as to what the fuck is going on. It seems like a programming and memorization nightmare, lol. Jesus. WHAT DOES THIS BUTTON DO AGAIN? OH YEAH. THAT. haha. It really seems like something I'll have to physically start playing with. Kudos to you chaps who seem to know exactly what's happening when, because I've not a clue.
This is the difference between some one poking and punching buttons, and some one playing an instrument.
Its a point i try and make when people ask "why is a step sequencer important, i can program drums with my mouse"..
He thinks computer/electronic music is all about switching stuff on and off while the program does the work, and that people that make music in this way are not musicians or performers.
I have given up...

Tell him programming, whether drums or midi notes, isn't much different than composition, really. There are definite one button pushers, but the guy in the vid(assuming he made them) made some pretty complex and intricate Max patches. I think a lot of peeps are in for a rude awakening with M4L. Sure, it will be padded with pre-mades, but then those might just come across like a new flavor of plug-ins and plug-instruments-- It takes a lot of skill to make those max patches, and I think peeps who don't like to go in with a screwdriver are going to be overwhelmed and maybe underwhelmed with Max. I'm not really sure what my point is, either.

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri May 15, 2009 2:56 am

it's not even i totally get what is happening (esp with the m4l element), it's more how i see how it's being used, and i start thinking how i am going to *try* and use it... my head starts rev-ing up. i mean, i see a good use for some of the buttons i may not need, and i start thinking how i could make them do what i want. that running scroll (track stop buttons) on the follow action clips(?), very cool, i could fuck with that- assign a few choice parameters to some knobs and buttons, and prolly amuse myself for a while. hell, that's the only reason i fuck with shit anyway- to amuse myself :) sure, a lot of it is already possible using this or that, but the integration of live, apc, and m4l is potentially a lethal combo.
really, try shit like that with any other program. who gives a shit if logic does this and cubase does that. those are NOT instruments. live can be.

i am psyched. and jealous :mrgreen:

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 am

scott nathaniel wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
I have given up...

Tell him programming, whether drums or midi notes, isn't much different than composition, really. There are definite one button pushers, but the guy in the vid(assuming he made them) made some pretty complex and intricate Max patches. I think a lot of peeps are in for a rude awakening with M4L. Sure, it will be padded with pre-mades, but then those might just come across like a new flavor of plug-ins and plug-instruments-- It takes a lot of skill to make those max patches, and I think peeps who don't like to go in with a screwdriver are going to be overwhelmed and maybe underwhelmed with Max. I'm not really sure what my point is, either.
I've got some potent chronic...
Wanna get blitzed with me?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 15, 2009 3:34 am

There's something I LOVE with this video, and apparently it doesn't involves Max4Live.
Ever wanted to play guitar or a keyboard melody with two hands but you have to jumb back to restart the clip loop ? With the APC launching all clips you have a record of what the last clip launched was and I retriggered it from the footswitch
F***, I wanted this feature for AGES !!!! That's the only thing I found REALLY annoying in ableton live workflow wise. I think this should be standard in Live (even if I don't care as I'm getting an APC :twisted: )

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 am

dcease wrote:it's not even i totally get what is happening (esp with the m4l element), it's more how i see how it's being used, and i start thinking how i am going to *try* and use it...
You're kind of lucky, cause I didn't get a anything of the M4L part :mrgreen:

who gives a shit if logic does this and cubase does that. those are NOT instruments. live can be.

i am psyched. and jealous :mrgreen:
Totally !!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 am

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

nice find, thanks for sharing.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri May 15, 2009 4:59 am

Tone Deft wrote:WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

nice find, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome ! I feel your pain :mrgreen:

My APC 40 is on preorder for June 11th and all these vidz that are popping now are really getting me restless! The swine flue must have hit the Akai factory 'cuz like Dcease mentioned in the previous post, this thing really is starting to look SICK!!!!!!!!!