can I give my second live 5 unlock to my partner?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
randrohe

can I give my second live 5 unlock to my partner?

Post by randrohe » Fri May 15, 2009 1:12 am

My partner is getting back into recording and I am trying to steer him toward live. I am on 5 w/ a g4 and he has a new macbook. I am reluctant to buy live 8 with my g4 but would consider upgrading my machine if my partner enjoys live (and I know he will) then we could both get up to speed with live 8 and the share feature. he currently lives across country...
any thoughts??? hopefully someone at headquarters will read this and respond...thanks in advance

leedsquietman

Re: can I give my second live 5 unlock to my partner?

Post by leedsquietman » Fri May 15, 2009 1:22 am

AFAIK you can only use the unlocks for yourself and second, Intel Macs require Live 5.2.2, a UB version of the program.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 am

its a ridiculous question. Ableton arent giving away two licences for the price of one.

They provide two unlocks so you can put one on a desktop and one on a laptop, with the condition that both are not run at once.

if you want to ask Ableton a question, send them an email at support@ableton.com. They dont browse this forum looking for questions from people who cant be bothered reading the support page.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri May 15, 2009 3:48 am

The short answer is you can install Live on 2 machines, providing they aren't running at the same time.
It's not a ridiculous question at all. And Ableton didn't "give away" 2 of anything, they sold you 2 unlocks (provided they aren't running at the same time).

Get your partner up to speed on Live 5, and realize that Live 8 is a huge leap forward from 5.
Write ableton support & tell them what's up.... they're far more mellow about this than adventurepants is making it sound.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri May 15, 2009 4:04 am

e.maynard wrote:The short answer is you can install Live on 2 machines, providing they aren't running at the same time.
It's not a ridiculous question at all. And Ableton didn't "give away" 2 of anything, they sold you 2 unlocks (provided they aren't running at the same time).

Get your partner up to speed on Live 5, and realize that Live 8 is a huge leap forward from 5.
Write ableton support & tell them what's up.... they're far more mellow about this than adventurepants is making it sound.
ask Ableton if two people can run the same licence and see how mellow they are.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri May 15, 2009 4:07 am

I did, and they were.
2 unlocks 1 price.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri May 15, 2009 4:10 am

e.maynard wrote:

Since he didn't know then I agree, it wasn't a ridiculous question. And there is no harm in asking.

What is ridiculous is your answer.

License Questions

The standard Live license allows you to use Live on only one computer at a time. If you have registered your product, the Ableton server will, however, provide you with two Unlock Keys in good faith that you will use Live on only one machine at a time.

http://forum.ableton.com/posting.php?mo ... 1&p=903406

If that isn't specific enough there is always the eula.

3. Licence grant: Provided that Licensee has paid the applicable licence fee, Ableton
grants to Licensee a limited, non-exclusive licence to use and copy the Software for
use on his computer system.... Under this Licence the Software may only be used on
one computer at a time.

From page 2, paragraph 4:

4. ...If Licensee transfers possession of any copy of the Software to another
party except as provided above, this licence is automatically terminated....

http://resources.ableton.com/pages/faq/ableton_eula.pdf

And lending a copy to your mate isn't listed under "except as provided above".

Personally I don't care what anyone does with their licenses, but don't act like you know when you are obviously clueless about the eula.

It just makes you look like a dumb ass.

:roll:
Last edited by smutek on Fri May 15, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri May 15, 2009 4:14 am

e.maynard wrote:I did, and they were.
2 unlocks 1 price.
We're talking about licences, not unlocks. Read the EULA.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri May 15, 2009 4:23 am

smutek wrote: Since he didn't know then I agree, it wasn't a ridiculous question. And there is no harm in asking.
fair call. i hate people who put others down for asking questions. Luckily for me its "Be a Dumbass Friday" at work today, so i think ive got a loophole. :mrgreen:

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri May 15, 2009 4:26 am

all good.
8)

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 am

I stand corrected as well.
Thanks bro's.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 am

For a second I though "5 second unlock" was some kind of new slang for an STD

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm

I've never received so many replies!!! ok, next question. Is there anyplace or one with a copy of live 5 they would be willing to sell? I am not ready for live 8 on my g4 and I think live 8 would blow his mind. he has recently discovered garage band, but wants more.
thanks for your thoughts
Rand