Who Do People think are real DJ's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:36 pm

Dsico.

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:23 pm

borg wrote:atrak must be one of the coolest cats i've seen behind the decks...

as an aside... is this guy...
An interesting observation about watching these videos. While I was actually watching the video, I was riveted, but when I minimized the window to hear only the music without the video, my attention quickly drifted. The music by itself, forgetting for a moment the impressive skills that were creating it, was not that interesting. I guess this goes to prove, again, that instrumental athleticism, while perfectly laudable for what it is, does not automatically translate into good music.

I'd be interested to see what these guys would do in a group context; to see whether they could add appropriate tasty bits to the overall composition, or whether they would just trample over everything, or just fall flat on their face.

I'd make the analogy to hour-long drum solos. The drummers in the audience are all shouting YEAH MAN!, but everyone else is going to take a piss and buy a fresh beer.

-- T. G. --

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:04 pm

dirtystudios wrote:
Machinate wrote:By that definition the guy at the record store is also a musician!
I think they mean to say " skilled in the art or science of *making and/or performing* music"?
i'm sure they said what they meant. maybe the guy who knows everything at the record store is a musician. it could be debated. i still think there is some confusion between "musician" and "instrumentalist". if you have studied and are highly knowledgable of music, beit rock and roll or classical, what would you be called? the term "musician" seems applicable. is there another term for this? "musicologist" perhaps?
Well, I got a bit closer to understanding the way the Webster's people think, when I looked up *music*:
Def. 1: "The art of combining tones so that they are pleasing, expressive, or intelligible" - then "musician" consequently must mean "someone who is skilled at combining tones, etc." - that makes a lot more sense to me.

Anyway Websters is still nowhere near making a distinction between "musicians" and "artists" - that's a whole other discussion.
dirtystudios also wrote:this is all very devil's advocate of me, and this doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion on the matter, but it's an interesting excersize.
k
I agree - playing the devil's advocate also makes this sort of discussion a lot easier.
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

borg

Post by borg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:53 pm

Tommy Genes wrote: An interesting observation about watching these videos...
(a few posts up)
you do have a point, however:
a. in the case of atrac, it was a showcase. if asked to make people dance, i'm sure he won't have any problems doing so.
b. in defence of kenny muhammed... sound quality of that stream was really bad, and put him together on stage with a equally skilled peer... man, it would be like having four decks. he's gotta breath sometime, not.

I'd make the analogy to hour-long drum solos...
:) another good point, however:
then you must have never seen/heared
terry bozzio... he's telling you stories (and good ones at that. even bought the CD. no, i'm not a drummer :D ).
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

mokomo

Post by mokomo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:14 pm

that .mov file of the dude scratching and crossfading is pretty interesting to watch. But the guy doesn't really have much of a notion of groove. At least not for more than a few seconds, then he slacks it again.

Instead i'd love to see a .mov of someone pushing Live really hard. Freestyle on-the-fly mid & uptempo improvisation on samples, midi, controllers and effects that drives a crowd nuts and builds grooves from theme to theme. Beats the hell out of a traditional scratch artist IMHO.
Dell Precision M60, Quattro USB, UC33e, Korg Triton Extreme, Motif Rack. SX, Reaktor, Absynth, SoundForge, Acid, Bidule.

mokomo

Post by mokomo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:18 pm

.... pity about the nerdy laptop(s) :lol: though, instead of some vinyl with typex and crossfader slapping
Dell Precision M60, Quattro USB, UC33e, Korg Triton Extreme, Motif Rack. SX, Reaktor, Absynth, SoundForge, Acid, Bidule.

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:44 pm

borg wrote:
Tommy Genes wrote:I'd make the analogy to hour-long drum solos...
:) another good point, however:
then you must have never seen/heared
terry bozzio... he's telling you stories (and good ones at that. even bought the CD. no, i'm not a drummer :D ).
Just as chops don't guarantee good musicianship, having chops does not mean you have to be a tasteless hack. They are two different but related variables in the same equation.

I hadn't seen that particular Bozio video before, but it reminded me of seeing Bill Bruford - another cat with chops and taste to boot - in the old BBC series "Rock School." He was showing the truly bizzare set of sampled sounds he had mapped around his Simmons kit. Hearing them individually, I thought "how on earth could he use that set of sounds together musically?" Then he started to play, and I was like "oh, that's how..." :oops:

-- T. G. --

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:23 am

Dunno about you guys, but most of the dj's here (southern california) are awesome. although we're saturated with shitty dj's, who isn't ;)

p.s. i've only seen sandra collins once and that was in '98. she totally rocked the party.