Mixed feelings about Cycling dropping Pluggo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JJarvis

Mixed feelings about Cycling dropping Pluggo

Post by JJarvis » Fri May 15, 2009 11:23 pm

I've been using Max for about 2 and half years now and I am still learning new things and enjoying the direction it takes my music. However, even though I never really have developed plugins for other daws( I use logic and live) I am dissappointed about Cycling 74's decision to drop pluggo in favor for Max For Live. I decided on Max for a variety of reasons and pluggo was a major part of that decision. This along with application building and the free run time is what made Max stand apart from Reaktor. With pluggo gone I can no longer share my creations with friends who might not use Live. To make matters worse I find Logic 8 matches my workflow more than Live does for composing. I was really counting on the ability to develop a killer plugin or two that could work in my Logic workflow. Now it looks like MaxForLive is the only way to go for this type of integration. Don't get me wrong, M4L looks amazing and might prove to be more flexible then porting Max via plugins into Daws. However as of yet I have not upgraded to Live 8. Part of the problem is that it just doesn't run as well for me on my aging Macbook. I didn't really need any feature either. Logic has a multiband compressor, step input, track folders, ring modulator, and most of the other stuff featured in the update. Also, we have no idea as Max users what kind of discount (if anything substantial) will be offered for M4L. At the end of it all, I might have to upgrade to 8 and pay for a program I already own that runs in a Daw I'm using less of at the moment. I just hope that M4L is stable and Live 8 or 9 eventually becomes as it once was.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

pulsoc

Re: Mixed feelings about Cycling dropping Pluggo

Post by pulsoc » Sat May 16, 2009 12:39 am

SELL IT!!!!

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 am

pulsoc wrote:SELL IT!!!!
Sell what?
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat May 16, 2009 1:30 am

If what you're using now works then keep using that... as for them not further developing it... probably a good choice, Max integrated in Live will be supertight, and Cycling is a small company so they can't do everything.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 am

djsynchro wrote:Max integrated in Live will be supertight, and Cycling is a small company so they can't do everything.
Right. because as we all know, live 8.0.2 is running supertight.

NOT.

also, yearly upgrade bullshit. improvements/fixes/developments only happening in the super-cool-NEW-give-us-more-money version. which is bug-ridden for about a year+.
spreader of butter