gradually I understand alcohol less and less

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

gradually I understand alcohol less and less

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 am

for many years I struggled with alcoholism, and when I wasn't a full blown alcoholic I liked to toe the line with heavy drinking on occasion. but recently I've started thinking to myself "hm...alcohol makes you depressed, lazy, tired, why do I drink?" I'm coming up with nothing really. very odd. why do we drink? I mean sure it's fun when friends are around but I find myself drinking 6 beers when I'm watching movies at night by myself and being bored depressed lazy and I just don't quiet understand why I want to. I don't personally think I'm addicted, though it certainly is habitual.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

timothyallan

Re: gradually I understand alcohol less and less

Post by timothyallan » Sat May 16, 2009 8:06 am

Here's some PRO advice ;) : If you can't help but drink when beer is around, then don't keep any booze in the house. Then turn off the idiot box TV and go make some tunes.

Seriously!

leonard

Post by leonard » Sat May 16, 2009 9:41 am

beer makes you smear
???

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:for many years I struggled with alcoholism, and when I wasn't a full blown alcoholic I liked to toe the line with heavy drinking on occasion. but recently I've started thinking to myself "hm...alcohol makes you depressed, lazy, tired, why do I drink?" I'm coming up with nothing really. very odd. why do we drink? I mean sure it's fun when friends are around but I find myself drinking 6 beers when I'm watching movies at night by myself and being bored depressed lazy and I just don't quiet understand why I want to. I don't personally think I'm addicted, though it certainly is habitual.
Thanks for sharing. My life seems a little fuller now.
spreader of butter

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm

b0unce wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:for many years I struggled with alcoholism, and when I wasn't a full blown alcoholic I liked to toe the line with heavy drinking on occasion. but recently I've started thinking to myself "hm...alcohol makes you depressed, lazy, tired, why do I drink?" I'm coming up with nothing really. very odd. why do we drink? I mean sure it's fun when friends are around but I find myself drinking 6 beers when I'm watching movies at night by myself and being bored depressed lazy and I just don't quiet understand why I want to. I don't personally think I'm addicted, though it certainly is habitual.
Thanks for sharing. My life seems a little fuller now.
the important word there is "seems"
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 pm

To truly understand alcohol, you must first understand yourself..

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat May 16, 2009 4:22 pm

If you don't think you're addicted don't drink for a month. Shouldn't be a problem.

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:33 pm

and i was about to go get some beer for later. I should stop. Maybe I will.
MBP 1.86 GHz, 2Gb RAM, Live 6, Logic Studio, Reason 4, Komplete 5, Melodyne, BFD, IK Studio Bundle etc etc

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat May 16, 2009 4:44 pm

I used to drink a lot. Not every day, but i'd have a couple of binges every week which would last 18 to 24 hours each. Then one week just over a year ago i didn't drink anything at all and up to now i haven't touched a drop (well, apart from a glass of wine at christmas dinner). The booze i had in my house when i stopped is still in my garage - 18 bottles of beer, a bottle of absinthe, 9 litres of cider and 8 bottles of wine. I have no idea why i suddenly stopped - i just wasn't interested any more. Since then i've lost over 6 kg in weight and saved a shit load of money. My doctor is over the moon as well. I'm bi-polar and she was always telling me to quit the booze as it can exasperate my problem and also stop my meds from working. Which brings me to the two things i hoped an alcohol free life would bring me - more energy and an end to shaky hands. As it turns out, my meds are responsible for both of these.

Anyway, John. I agree with pulsoc. Stop drinking for a month and see how it feels. You might like it, and you can buy yourself something nice with the money you save :)

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:why do we drink?
We have to reboot from time to time, too. :idea:
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

12 Theory

Post by 12 Theory » Sat May 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Rave wrote:It could also be like a carb craving thing too i.e. try eating a big pizza or something and see if the urge goes away.
Rave, I must respectfully disagree. If there is one thing in the world that gives me the urge to drink beer, it's a big pizza. I don't think there is a better combination of food and drink on the planet to tell you the truth.

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:55 pm

12 Theory wrote:
Rave wrote:It could also be like a carb craving thing too i.e. try eating a big pizza or something and see if the urge goes away.
Rave, I must respectfully disagree. If there is one thing in the world that gives me the urge to drink beer, it's a big pizza. I don't think there is a better combination of food and drink on the planet to tell you the truth.
Wrong........Chicken vindaloo and a pint of lager.......
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

12 Theory

Post by 12 Theory » Sat May 16, 2009 10:11 pm

I hadn't heard of vindaloo, and after a quick google search, I see how that would be a good combination. Especially if it is spicy.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat May 16, 2009 10:57 pm

My take on it is that alcohol breaks down the barrier that your brain uses to stop you from acting out all of the first instinct impulses that come up, so in a sense its allure is the spontaneity and "true to self" feelings of one's subsequent actions.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 12:12 am

he who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man.
-Dr Samuel Johnson
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz