gradually I understand alcohol less and less

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: gradually I understand alcohol less and less

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 12:12 am

he who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man.
-Dr Samuel Johnson
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 17, 2009 4:14 am

Android Bishop wrote:My take on it is that alcohol breaks down the barrier that your brain uses to stop you from acting out all of the first instinct impulses that come up, so in a sense its allure is the spontaneity and "true to self" feelings of one's subsequent actions.
I have to disagree, but not entirely. alcohol seems to eliminate fear for the most part, and fear is a major reason why we don't act on our impulses. it doesn't make you 'more true to yourself' it just makes you more a product of your initial impulses and less a product of your second and 3rd impulse :) all impulses are you though ;)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Sun May 17, 2009 4:17 pm

jez3122 wrote:
12 Theory wrote:
Rave wrote:It could also be like a carb craving thing too i.e. try eating a big pizza or something and see if the urge goes away.
Rave, I must respectfully disagree. If there is one thing in the world that gives me the urge to drink beer, it's a big pizza. I don't think there is a better combination of food and drink on the planet to tell you the truth.
Wrong........Chicken vindaloo and a pint of lager.......
Wrong again, sashimi and cold beer :D

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 pm

I've recently gotten *back into* drinking, but I'm focusing on quality liquor and quality cocktails of the old-school variety. I find a couple of whiskey cocktails made with my favorite rye put me in a state of mind that doesn't let the fact that I'm dirt poor matter as much. And I don't find it makes me lazy, certainly not like years of daily weed smoking did. Not that I never do that anymore. :P

It's the fucking cigarettes that are a problem. You would think that the sherman filterbank my wife holds over my head would be incentive enough to stop lighting the things up, but no.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:My take on it is that alcohol breaks down the barrier that your brain uses to stop you from acting out all of the first instinct impulses that come up, so in a sense its allure is the spontaneity and "true to self" feelings of one's subsequent actions.
I have to disagree, but not entirely. alcohol seems to eliminate fear for the most part, and fear is a major reason why we don't act on our impulses. it doesn't make you 'more true to yourself' it just makes you more a product of your initial impulses and less a product of your second and 3rd impulse :) all impulses are you though ;)

Yes but I am speaking of the EXPERIENCE of being true to oneself. I think most people would agree they FEEL most "themselves" when they are acting in the moment, instinctual, the first thing that comes to them. The more thought that goes into an action, the less it feels to be characteristic of one's true nature and the more it feels as if one is second guessing themselves. In the context of the idea I proposed, it doesnt matter what the truth of the matter is, only how it ultimately feels to a person.