[5534] copy protection violation? thanks for that

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chis

Re: copy protection violation? thanks for that

Post by chis » Sun May 17, 2009 12:40 am

Haven't had any problems with this in any previous version. It seems to be to do with the copy protection code in version 8 specifically.

Live is the only software I tolerate having to activate, other than XP, seeing as I have little choice. But all this crap about the protection getting flagged up so often, for legit users, is NOT encouraging me to to upgrade to 8, Abes!

makehaste

Post by makehaste » Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 am

this is not new about 3 years ago i was using a kraked version of
Live 6... it was running great for like 3 months then i got that exact same message..at that point i was so engulfed in live that i bought it two days later. i was not upset at ableton by this i just knew it was time. I have never been happier to pay for a piece of software before.. the wierd thing was i had no clue how they figured out it was a crack... the computer i was on was never connected to the internet ever.. how ever they figured it out i was quite impressed

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 am

they need to sort this stuff out because legitimate purchasers of the product should be protected from this.

crack copy users should get used to the program time bombing and no bones about that, that goes with the territory, but legit users deserve better. The authorisation scheme in L8 is obviously not a finished product yet, it caused issues in beta testing and now is causing issues for some genuine paid customers - this isn't the first time this has been reported, but hopefully with the next bug fix release, it will be the last.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 am

FYI if this happens you can download the demo and use it with no problem. I know cause a buddy had to for a show and it went fine. The demo works for live use as it'll do everything but save.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 5:06 am

Tone Deft wrote:why the hell is Ableton enforcing copyrights? is it their place to do this? oh, on top of that they're doing it very poorly.

really really disappointed...

I'd love to see a thread with a title that more directly rants about this bullshit.

once again the pirates get treated as they should but it's leading to people that follow the rules getting screwed. great.
I totally misread the OP somehow I thought he dropped in an mp3 and got an error.

ugh. yeah, keep the demo on your drive if you play out.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 am

update: i'm not entirely sure yet. but it looks like tone2's warmverb has something to do with this message popping up. whenever i have saved (or maybe even just loaded and then closed) a project containing warmverb, live gives me the copy protection thing next time i start the app.

any other warmverb users on live 8?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun May 17, 2009 9:56 am

Zerobae wrote:update: i'm not entirely sure yet. but it looks like tone2's warmverb has something to do with this message popping up. whenever i have saved (or maybe even just loaded and then closed) a project containing warmverb, live gives me the copy protection thing next time i start the app.

any other warmverb users on live 8?
If you try this with the latest beta and make a bug report of it, you may never have to run into that dialogue again.
Clearly you seem to have found a reproducible bug. It only takes one Abe to confirm it.

dom

Post by dom » Sun May 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Sounds strange, actually there's only one way to trigger that message: to modify the live executable itself.

Obviously this is the case with cracked versions, but we also came across cases with original versions because the app was modified by a virus or changed because of a failing harddrive.

We will absolutely look into this and check what warmverb is doing there.

Besides that i would not worry to much. Even if something altered the file itself (very rare thing - if so, you should really be concerned what is happening on your machine in general and messing with the content of your files) and you get this message while being a legit user - downloading Live from our servers again does the trick immediately.

Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sun May 17, 2009 4:44 pm

dom wrote: - downloading Live from our servers again does the trick immediately.
Dom
true, but only till i save another set containing warmverb.

i've posted this in the beta bugs section, as suggested by hoffman

IamInsane

Post by IamInsane » Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm

dom wrote: Besides that i would not worry to much. Even if something altered the file itself (very rare thing - if so, you should really be concerned what is happening on your machine in general and messing with the content of your files) and you get this message while being a legit user - downloading Live from our servers again does the trick immediately.
and this is supposed to reassure someone when they are to go on stage in 15 minutes?

I've been kinda looking for a reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 :-) unfortunately, this is a big reason why I may not upgrade.

hope you guys sort it out.

peace
Last edited by IamInsane on Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

punknmetal101

Post by punknmetal101 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:22 pm

That's annoying.
Swagbucks - Use their search engine and win prizes
Moola - Play games for free to win money
Centsports - Bet on sports games for free to win money
Centpoker - Play poker for free to win money

IP

Post by IP » Sun May 17, 2009 6:41 pm

thank god! havent updated yet :lol:

condra

Post by condra » Sun May 17, 2009 6:52 pm

^ That's happened me twice since Christmas. Not cool.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah I got this message some years back ... must have been on Live 6 at the time.

Really scary because it was on my live performance laptop (PC vaio, xp) and the message popped up from nowhere.

It did not help when I re-installed to the software, nor did uninstalling AND re-installing do the trick.

I had to re install xp. Not fun at all. I was actually so pissed of at the time that I think I did not even bother writing here...

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Sun May 17, 2009 10:37 pm

This is the reason I went back to L7 8 is still to bloody buggy.
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161