OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How many of you believe in aliens?

Yes
42%
No
9%
Maybe some wheres far away
49%

Total votes: 96

smog g

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by smog g » Sun May 17, 2009 12:45 am

we are aliens, stupids!

Dombleton

Post by Dombleton » Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 am

You'd be an idiot to ignore the possibility of life on other planets. To think we are the only ones is idiotic. But the fact is if there is they could either have already died out or still be in the amoeba stage. Chances of meeting another given distance over galaxies IS idiotic.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 17, 2009 1:55 am

Tone Deft wrote:I've also heard of a theory of why we're royally screwing ourselves by having such a noisy planet, IOW ALL our TV and radio signals go out into space. what if there are aliens out there that pillage planets? those would be the ones traveling around, we're leading them to our front door.

abort

Post by abort » Sun May 17, 2009 2:01 am

I wonder if those aliens get the sci fi channel? ...I miss star trek!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 2:15 am

Dombleton wrote:You'd be an idiot to ignore the possibility of life on other planets. To think we are the only ones is idiotic. But the fact is if there is they could either have already died out or still be in the amoeba stage. Chances of meeting another given distance over galaxies IS idiotic.
what a non-idiotic reply. :roll:

the irony...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 2:18 am

the only 'feasible' theory for time travel I've read about is to take a wormhole* and keep one end of it stationary while you move the other around at the speed of light. then just like the 'Twins Paradox' one end of the worm hole is older than the other. then you pass things through the worm hole.

thing is, this means that you can only travel in time as far back as when the worm hole was created, but no earlier.

*'we' can make worm holes very very very very tiny that only last for a very very very very very brief amount of time, so it's not really feasible but the components are there. the Twins Paradox has been proven to be fact with real experiments.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun May 17, 2009 2:34 am

Tone Deft wrote:we're royally screwing ourselves by having such a noisy planet, IOW ALL our TV and radio signals go out into space. what if there are aliens out there that pillage planets? those would be the ones traveling around, we're leading them to our front door.

You realise you're sounding exactly like the James Woods character in "Contact"... :D
(great movie btw, adapted from Carl Sagan's novel)

I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
"Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. The implications of either are staggering."
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Chang

Post by Chang » Sun May 17, 2009 2:44 am

So the aliens are so intelligent they can fold space and get to our planet. Yet they are so irresponsible and thoughtless that they don't hide themselves when they get here to monitor/study us? They just fly around with "blinking lights" and "bright lights" all around everywhere so any jackass can see them? I don't think so. A species that could get here wouldn't do that imo. And good god, even star trek has the prime directive and cloaking devices for space ships. And I'm sure the aliens (if they exist) minds are far superior to the star trek writers.

And to whom might say. Well, they don't give a crap if we see them they are superior. We are just cows to them. I would say that if thats true, and they are real, they are a dangerous species and not just here to study etc.
Last edited by Chang on Sun May 17, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun May 17, 2009 2:45 am

I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
"Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. The implications of either are staggering."
8)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 am

Pitch Black wrote: I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
Brilliant :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 2:50 am

Chang wrote:So the aliens are so intelligent they can fold space and get to our planet. Yet they are so irresponsible and thoughtless that they don't hide themselves when they get here to monitor/study us? They just fly around with "blinking lights" and "bright lights" all around everywhere so any jackass can see them? I don't think so. A species that could get here wouldn't do that imo. And good god, even star trek has the prime directive and cloaking devices for space ships. And I'm sure the aliens (if they exist) minds are far superior to the star trek writers.
how you can begin to apply anthropomorphism to aliens is beyond me.

it's to be expected that we are as different from them as western music is from eastern music.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Chang

Post by Chang » Sun May 17, 2009 3:04 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Chang wrote:So the aliens are so intelligent they can fold space and get to our planet. Yet they are so irresponsible and thoughtless that they don't hide themselves when they get here to monitor/study us? They just fly around with "blinking lights" and "bright lights" all around everywhere so any jackass can see them? I don't think so. A species that could get here wouldn't do that imo. And good god, even star trek has the prime directive and cloaking devices for space ships. And I'm sure the aliens (if they exist) minds are far superior to the star trek writers.
how you can begin to apply anthropomorphism to aliens is beyond me.

it's to be expected that we are as different from them as western music is from eastern music.

I'm not saying they act or think like humans. Just giving my opinion. If thats ok.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 am

Chang wrote:I'm not saying they act or think like humans.
oh, thought you were.

Just giving my opinion. If thats ok.
hmmm dunno, tough call.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Chang

Post by Chang » Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Chang wrote:I'm not saying they act or think like humans.
oh, thought you were.

Just giving my opinion. If thats ok.
hmmm dunno, tough call.

Ok, I see how it is. Even though on this forum its "chang, wear dental floss for blind fold with slant eyes" "chang you shouldn't drive" and everything else but because of former new racebaiting thread I am now shunned from giving opinion. That just great.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 3:30 am

whoa man... you're playing the racism card on me? that's a really shitty thing to write.

you wrote that there's a basic sense of common decency that goes with intelligence in humans, therefore an advanced alien species would inherently have that sense of decency. not a bad point. then it occurred to me that aliens would be inherently different than humans.

I would say that you're preventing me from stating an opinion. I disagree and you decide to play the racism card on me.

you're a dookie head. Chang, you and I are above this kind of thing, it's a misunderstanding.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz