OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

How many of you believe in aliens?

Yes
40
42%
No
9
9%
Maybe some wheres far away
47
49%
 
Total votes: 96

nowtime
Posts: 1563
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: Homefree

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by nowtime » Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:we're royally screwing ourselves by having such a noisy planet, IOW ALL our TV and radio signals go out into space. what if there are aliens out there that pillage planets? those would be the ones traveling around, we're leading them to our front door.

You realise you're sounding exactly like the James Woods character in "Contact"... :D
(great movie btw, adapted from Carl Sagan's novel)

I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
"Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. The implications of either are staggering."
Thanks PB. I love this quote. Anybody mind if I use it as signature? It would be good to see this and be reminded. 8)

Arthurs' rendering of the leap from ape to human is stunning. The opening chapters of 2001:Space Oddysey is a must read.
Life is Good

oblique strategies
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 17, 2009 7:51 am

nowtime wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
"Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. The implications of either are staggering."
Arthurs' rendering of the leap from ape to human is stunning. The opening chapters of 2001:Space Oddysey is a must read.
And a must see film -especially on the big screen.

abort
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:37 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by abort » Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 am

I am aware about all the damn theory's

Specifically the wormhole theory. Thinking that if in the creation of a stable wormhole this wormhole would be in two places of space and time, it would not matter if one end would be older than say the other end. Thinking most scientists have concluded that to travel through such hole would be unsafe unpredictable (distance) as to where you would end up thats only if you were to travel through it. Folding distance and time would be a linearized move.

I should add a new poll; How many of you believe we are being visited right now.
How many of you have seen UFO's

All of you seem to believe in the idea of life on other planets, but so many people swear they have seen prof of...it.

This is so OT for this forum., but don't think I was wrong for posting this question as all of you are artists, open thinkers, creators, we all are much alike. I had said in the beginning of this OT that I have talked with many people about this on other forums. Feeling that most do not share common mental traits as we might here.

Thanks everyone for sharing on the quick off topic thought!

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by forge » Sun May 17, 2009 11:53 am

there is no question to me there is life on other planets, but in what form is anybody's guess and kind of pointless to speculate. But I prefer to think that it is possible that on some of the other planets out there the bi-pedal life forms evolved from their version of apes millions of years before we did giving them a lot longer to discover some of the amazing bizarre stuff that goes on in the universe.

The sheer fact that there are such staggering amounts of energy that power stars just existing right there in the billions indicates that there are some pretty major forces at work that we really have no idea about, so I won't rule out the possibility that some advanced civilizations have discovered something about these forces that allows them to jump through vast distances.

As for the whole wormhole only taking you back to when it was created thing, what if someone discovered at some point that there are some kinds of wormholes being created at all points in time and space and we just don't know they are there?

I watched something about the LHC the other day and a lot of the scientists were saying that they felt confident they were going to find the Higgs Boson, but one guy said he wasn't so sure and in a way he felt that it would be more exciting if they don't because it would mean there are some major holes in the way we understand the universe.

I think adopting a skeptical attitude to things like this is a bit like being adamant the world is flat because we can only see to the horizon, because frankly we don't know shit. It's only 100 years since we stopped using the horse and cart.

The really amazing thing about listening to inspired physicists like Stephen Hawking speak is the way they are so keen to acknowledge how much we don't know.

Angstrom
Posts: 14665
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 17, 2009 12:33 pm

forge wrote:
I think adopting a skeptical attitude to things like this is a bit like being adamant the world is flat because we can only see to the horizon, because frankly we don't know shit. It's only 100 years since we stopped using the horse and cart.

The really amazing thing about listening to inspired physicists like Stephen Hawking speak is the way they are so keen to acknowledge how much we don't know.
This is a common misconception.
Being a skeptic doesn't mean being adamant about anything, it means doubting, or testing, any assertions without corroborative proof.

EG : to be skeptical about String-theory may actually be a useful position - because the skeptic might expand knowledge in new and unforseen ways. Many discoveries have been made by people 'testing' accepted beliefs.

Lots of people do not understand what 'skepticism' actually is.
It is not closed mindedness, it is the opposite.

Hermanus
Posts: 1648
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Hermanus » Sun May 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Simply, thinking a lonely planet somewhere in the universe is the only one with living beings is kind of egocentric. :lol:

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by b0unce » Sun May 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Hermanus wrote:Simply, thinking a lonely planet somewhere in the universe is the only one with living beings is kind of egocentric. :lol:
Yep, and it's no coincidence that 'God' is a humanoid in our most widely practised religions.
spreader of butter

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 2:29 pm

abort wrote:I am aware about all the damn theory's

Specifically the wormhole theory. Thinking that if in the creation of a stable wormhole this wormhole would be in two places of space and time, it would not matter if one end would be older than say the other end. Thinking most scientists have concluded that to travel through such hole would be unsafe unpredictable (distance) as to where you would end up thats only if you were to travel through it. Folding distance and time would be a linearized move.
what's a 'linearized' move?
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

abort
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:37 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by abort » Sun May 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Tone Deft wrote: what's a 'linearized' move?
sorry ..linear not linearized. Meant to mean 'a straight line'

Image

IamInsane
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:32 am

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by IamInsane » Sun May 17, 2009 6:56 pm

i always love this topic.

It's interesting to consider that millions and millions of species have evolved on earth. Of them, only a handful have even developed the ability to use tools, and only a single one has developed the ability to explore environments unkind to their own existence. Have you ever seen a dolphin on dry ground? or a monkey in a scuba suit?

so given the odds, there is probably life elsewhere, but intelligent life that has the ability to visit us in UFO's ?

Salty P
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: The land that time forgot

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Salty P » Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 pm

nowtime wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:we're royally screwing ourselves by having such a noisy planet, IOW ALL our TV and radio signals go out into space. what if there are aliens out there that pillage planets? those would be the ones traveling around, we're leading them to our front door.

You realise you're sounding exactly like the James Woods character in "Contact"... :D
(great movie btw, adapted from Carl Sagan's novel)

I leave it to Arthur C. Clarke who said:
"Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. The implications of either are staggering."
Wait a minute, I'm late to this thread and haven't really read most of it, but did you say Contact was a great movie? 8O

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by forge » Sun May 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote:
I think adopting a skeptical attitude to things like this is a bit like being adamant the world is flat because we can only see to the horizon, because frankly we don't know shit. It's only 100 years since we stopped using the horse and cart.

The really amazing thing about listening to inspired physicists like Stephen Hawking speak is the way they are so keen to acknowledge how much we don't know.
This is a common misconception.
Being a skeptic doesn't mean being adamant about anything, it means doubting, or testing, any assertions without corroborative proof.

EG : to be skeptical about String-theory may actually be a useful position - because the skeptic might expand knowledge in new and unforseen ways. Many discoveries have been made by people 'testing' accepted beliefs.

Lots of people do not understand what 'skepticism' actually is.
It is not closed mindedness, it is the opposite.
well maybe it was the wrong word to use here, it probably get's misused because often people who take the apparently skeptical viewpoint can often come across as being closed minded, but in this context I was just saying that taking a firm view that there is either no other life in the universe, or that it would be incapable of traveling that far is well above our collective station.

outsidesys
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 am

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by outsidesys » Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Aliens exist.

The UFO's we see are alien shuttle buses that are chartered by rich aliens to visit the "Earth Zoo" or whatever they call our planet. Out there somewhere is an entrepreneurial alien making big bucks doing tours so they can see how we live, and every once in a while, a really rich alien pays to get really close.

Our planet is a commodity to them, just like our zoos are commodities to us. The aliens will never let us die in this zoo we call planet Earth.

How's that for a theory?

Play
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago USA
Contact:

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Play » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Right here on earth there are creatures that thrive in environments where humans could not last a second. I believe that this would be true for areas deep in space.

If you close your eyes and try to imagine the craziest looking alien life form... How closely would it resemble a squid? We are all products of the universe...

We all know about heaven. Where is it? Just some force somewhere unimaginable to us?

Or, could heaven actually be a planet somewhere deep in space?
MacPro Quad, Dual 23" Apple Displays-15" MacBook Pro-Logic8, Live7, PowerSuite5-MAudio BX8s-Mackie Control Universal, ReMOTE SL 37, Korg padKONTROL-Serato Scratch SL3 & VSL-2 Pioneer CDJ1000MK2s, Pioneer DJM800

Pitch Black
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Re: OT How many of you believe in aliens?

Post by Pitch Black » Sun May 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Salty P wrote: Wait a minute, I'm late to this thread and haven't really read most of it, but did you say Contact was a great movie? 8O

*small voice*
well i liked it... :?

Post Reply