Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joe.cavers

Re: Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Post by joe.cavers » Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 am

SubFunk wrote:^^^ mhhh beer!
Obviously as essential as the APC for any Live-based performance :) Need to make sure I don't have too much of that prior to my set in a few weeks tho!

J

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

hi martelo,

nice setup, i hope you dont kick the sub chassis... i did sometimes... :?
martelo wrote:Image
no cat available atm

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
deHaan wrote:Here's where I've been living since february. I haven't done anything about the acoustics yet, but I will soon make some super chunks for the corners. Here I feel inspired and have a good workflow, so I don't think I will change my setup for a while now :)

/Nikolaj

YOUR MUSIC IS FUCKING FANTASTIC, BTW. HOLY SHIT. 8O
Thank you! :D
JoshR wrote:+1 great music. I still haven't heard the washboard, though:)
I have only used the washing board at live performances, e.g. when performing this weird song http://www.bandbase.com/kravlegaarden/T ... edemarked/ But it is a great instrument!
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

martelo

Post by martelo » Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi kabelton,
thats indeed a problem, until now i could avoid hitting the chassis. The footboard is a good help to keep the feet away from the sub.

martelo

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

@Martelo-That doesn't seem like the most effective position for a sub. If you lean on the desk, you probably won't hear it. Does that pos work for you? I have both of mine off to the sides where they are not obstructed.
Terrence Lennon

martelo

Post by martelo » Tue May 04, 2010 8:19 pm

@tlennon,
right, if i lean on the desk i hear more the reflections from the wall behind. to have direct bass and enjoy optimal stereo experience i used to position my office chair about a meter before the desk. i am aware of that, but i couldnt think of a better position. also the sub shouldnt have a different distance to the listener, than the satelites, right?
m.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

martelo wrote:@tlennon,
right, if i lean on the desk i hear more the reflections from the wall behind. to have direct bass and enjoy optimal stereo experience i used to position my office chair about a meter before the desk. i am aware of that, but i couldnt think of a better position. also the sub shouldnt have a different distance to the listener, than the satelites, right?
m.
not sure if this applies to all sub systems, but a friend once told me to move my the sub around the room until it sounded the best. for him it was behind a chair in the corner of his room. you never hardly saw the thing, but it was definitely there in the mix.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
m.
not sure if this applies to all sub systems, but a friend once told me to move my the sub around the room until it sounded the best. for him it was behind a chair in the corner of his room. you never hardly saw the thing, but it was definitely there in the mix.
a 50Hz sound wave has a wavelength of over 6 meters. imagine what goes on in your studio with wavefronts that large adding and canceling, the distances are great. compare that to a 10kHz wave at ~3.5cm, those waves add and cancel as you move your head.

hth
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 am

yup, sub setups in tiny living rooms make me always laugh... (and that is not just because of the low frequency ranges, but has a lot to do with the power / distribution of a sub opposed to a full range... as well)

i don't know any 'private' person that has ever set up a sub in a way that it is really good... (pretty much impossible within living room sizes)
well i never heard a real good mix made on those systems either...

the "we love subs" thread in monitoring made me laugh a lot, bass, bass, bass... :roll:

a sub under the table sitting in front of you feet, :lol:

then again do what you all want. but then don't post 'my music sounds like poo, i need a new compressor' or something along those lines, or at least don't be surprised to receive utter rudeness all the way! (in a thread response)
Tone Deft wrote:
cotdagoo wrote:
m.
a 50Hz sound wave has a wavelength of over 6 meters. imagine what goes on in your studio with wavefronts that large adding and canceling, the distances are great. compare that to a 10kHz wave at ~3.5cm, those waves add and cancel as you move your head.

hth
*** Image GAFM ***

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 am

SubFunk wrote:yup, sub setups in tiny living rooms make me always laugh... (and that is not just because of the low frequency ranges, but has a lot to do with the power / distribution of a sub opposed to a full range... as well)

i don't know any 'private' person that has ever set up a sub in a way that it is really good... (pretty much impossible within living room sizes)
well i never heard a real good mix made on those systems either.
Ok well I'm curious now, my room is 23' x 13-15', where would you put a sub in relation to the workstation?
Keep in mind that my workstation isn't up against a wall but about 6' away, at about the 3/4 mark, not the best for mixing I suppose, but that's not really the primary purpose of the set up, as I play with a drummer and singer, and I'll be dammed if I'm to face the wall while we practice. I get a pretty clean sound, but I could use more bass. As I've stated before my weakness mixing wise is to add far too much bass, so the sub actually helps. My goal is simple to give the studio a good enough mix of my tracks to where when we record the drums, and vocals probably, it's easy for them to tighten it up. It's in a basement with concrete walls 1/3 covered in 3" wedge acoustic foam. Early reflections suck when it's loud enough to hear over a mostly playing in his life Heavy Metal drummer. 8O

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 am

first of all, just to make clear, it is not impossible to set subs up properly, but way, way more difficult then full range systems.
and for the difficult part, it is impossible for me to say without seeing and foremost hearing the room... yes hearing the room... every room has it's own sound. i just partly helped setting up acoustics in a studio here in berlin from a forum member... skeet, who might posts some new pictures soon... well he does not have a sub system (lovely genies 8040s he got) but it was a matter of 'analysing' the room sound and it's response to know what and where to do something... and his acoustics improved a lot.

i can in this scenario not really help you without being there... and hearing the problem... only suggestion is to get a long cable and move the thing around and try and test until satisfied, plus find out where the bass is then to much in relation, corners etc. and apply acoustic treatment, but i am not a sub fan anyways, not for mixing / monitoring (that is personal preference, but the higher difficulty to set up a sub system properly remains, no matter what my opinion is), for playback / pa sure thing!... that needs to shredder and oomph...
but a mix needs to be nicely balanced, all the bass hype should be the work of an in most cases anyways 'over hyped bass' PA. not the mix. (one of the most common mistakes ever, why does my mix not sound like in a club or my car at home...? no point of comparing!!! HUGE mistake!, PAs / cars are always bass overhyped, and that is exactly what you don't! want in a monitoring system, respectively your mix)

i mainly aimed my response as well at the sub in front of feet... 'issue' it's similar to 8" or 10", even near fields squashed in corners and then sitting 70cm away from them to your head placed in tiny box rooms... pointless, and more harmful then good.

my point being, i don't know many people who ever did set up subs in living rooms properly (actually none, another point being that sub systems typically require to be driven at higher volumes, compared to full range systems to get their full effect, something most people can't do either in flats), cause it is an awful lot of work and takes a long, long time to figure out if you do not have the experience, and hardly anyone makes that effort and spends the time to change it again and again and again and again until it is a 100%

in the meantime they usually seek rather a new compressor or EQ or sound card (whatever really) to make things sound good :wink:

Machinesworking wrote:
SubFunk wrote:yup, sub setups in tiny living rooms make me always laugh... (and that is not just because of the low frequency ranges, but has a lot to do with the power / distribution of a sub opposed to a full range... as well)

well i never heard a real good mix made on those systems either.
Ok well I'm curious now, my room is 23' x 13-15', where would you put a sub in relation to the workstation?
Keep in mind that my workstation isn't up against a wall but about 6' away, at about the 3/4 mark, not the best for mixing I suppose, but that's not really the primary purpose of the set up, as I play with a drummer and singer, and I'll be dammed if I'm to face the wall while we practice. I get a pretty clean sound, but I could use more bass. As I've stated before my weakness mixing wise is to add far too much bass, so the sub actually helps. My goal is simple to give the studio a good enough mix of my tracks to where when we record the drums, and vocals probably, it's easy for them to tighten it up. It's in a basement with concrete walls 1/3 covered in 3" wedge acoustic foam. Early reflections suck when it's loud enough to hear over a mostly playing in his life Heavy Metal drummer. 8O
Last edited by SubFunk on Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 05, 2010 8:09 am

SubFunk wrote:first of all, just to make clear, it is not impossible to set subs up properly, but way, way more difficult then full range systems.
and for the difficult part, it is impossible for me to say without seeing and foremost hearing the room... yes hearing the room... every room has it's own sound.
yeah I'm aware of that, I think anybody who's played over 10 shows is aware how different your music and mix sounds in various rooms, even as a guitar player I would adjust the EQ and distance I stood from the amp depending on the room. My best placement was about 6-7' away from the workstation in my last studio, and I'm thinking that will work in this one too. Otherwise it's on to looong cables.

BTW how's Live 8.xx treating you now?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 05, 2010 8:16 am

Machinesworking wrote:BTW how's Live 8.xx treating you now?
quiet alright i have to say... did not tested a lot of older sets of mine... but new ones are OK... fingers crossed, a few issues remain, but the abes are aware of those and told me they are on it... :D
*** Image GAFM ***

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 am

SubFunk wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:BTW how's Live 8.xx treating you now?
quiet alright i have to say... did not tested a lot of older sets of mine... but new ones are OK... fingers crossed, a few issues remain, but the abes are aware of those and told me they are on it... :D
Cool, I have shit for money, but a gift certificate for Amazon that would cover the upgrade. Though I'm loath to buy it until it's stable. Live 7 is behaving really well, though I really want group tracks, kind of lame, but that and being able to use colors on the track names are my two reasons to upgrade, things that other DAWs have had for years.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 05, 2010 8:27 am

^^^ funny, i think group tracks is the only thing i really use and need in 8, the rest i don't care much...

and M4L for a decent sized timer 8O , yes you need M4L for that! 8O

that is what i think about them anyway lately... they miss the plain essentials instead they do fancy stuff, no one really needs...

ahhh well, maschine kicked there ass in that respect and they might wake up or not...

maschine's crazy sells show that they are right!

ok, stop, don't want to drift off topic again.
*** Image GAFM ***