Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Machinesworking

Re: Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 02, 2010 2:38 am

Hielo Patagonia Sounds wrote: The Xpander is my "only" hardware polyphonic synth. I've bought it 10 years ago and it was not still cheap. :oops: I find the interface really quick and easy to use. The multimode filter is always amazing and the modulation matrix very powerful. But the envelopes are not very fast (most of the modulation sources are digital).

Kinda noticed the slow attack on the envelopes, but it's not a deal killer, it's maybe only 10ms or something on the one I have, noticeable, but not an issues really. I like it for cleaner analogue bass, but my other analogue monster is a Memorymoog, so that sees a ton of bass work. The Xpander to me is a pad monster among other things. Most of the Xpander is analogue from what I know, I have a fondness for the hybrid poly analogues that came out before the DX7 killed analogue for about 15 years.
I bought mine for about $2100, so I'm betting you did OK compared.
The analog modular is a"dream come true" for me as I've learned to use synths with this kind of instruments (Roland System 100M, Kobol RSF, EMS AKS) in a research studio (http://www.grame.fr). But I think that the size of my modular will expand a little during next year. :lol:
Yeah that's got to be fun stuff.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 am

Machinesworking wrote:
oblique strategies wrote: I love rats!!! My sister & I raised them kids. Such smart little creatures, & each one had a unique personality. Plus they communicate through ultrasonics!
They die too quickly though, things that smart and friendly shouldn't only live 2 1/2 years on average. :evil:
I was told that they used to live longer, but the pet rats we get are so inbred that they usually get tumors. Happened to my last rat. I seem to recall them living longer when I was a kid, but that was a while ago, lost in the misty recesses of time...

If you ever get the chance to watch any documentaries about rats you'll be amazed.

Rats rule! :mrgreen:

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 am

oblique strategies wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
oblique strategies wrote: I love rats!!! My sister & I raised them kids. Such smart little creatures, & each one had a unique personality. Plus they communicate through ultrasonics!
They die too quickly though, things that smart and friendly shouldn't only live 2 1/2 years on average. :evil:
I was told that they used to live longer, but the pet rats we get are so inbred that they usually get tumors. Happened to my last rat. I seem to recall them living longer when I was a kid, but that was a while ago, lost in the misty recesses of time...

If you ever get the chance to watch any documentaries about rats you'll be amazed.

Rats rule! :mrgreen:
Sadly this is true the oldest we have at the mo is 2½ yrs old.

We have 7 girls at present, we only have girls so theres no little "accidents".

There great pets thought as there a lot more friendly than say a hamster or guinea pig.

Looking around for a bat detector so I can record some of those hight pitched squeaks.
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

slirak

Post by slirak » Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 am

pwdm wrote:Onion checking out a Korg Poly6 in need of repairs.
Have you opened it up to see what's wrong with it? If not, you should really do so as soon as possible.

Battery leakage is an extremely common issue with these machines and if you leave it untreated, the battery fluid will typically destroy more and more of the synth's internals.

In fact, every Polysix-owner out there should change the battery just as a precaution. It's not that expensive and you can do it yourself if you know how to solder. There's loads of info on how to fix your six on the googlewebs.

Here's one example of a Polysix with leaking battery (and I've seen worse, much worse).

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Sun May 02, 2010 8:31 pm

slirak wrote:
pwdm wrote:Onion checking out a Korg Poly6 in need of repairs.
Have you opened it up to see what's wrong with it? If not, you should really do so as soon as possible.

Battery leakage is an extremely common issue with these machines and if you leave it untreated, the battery fluid will typically destroy more and more of the synth's internals.

In fact, every Polysix-owner out there should change the battery just as a precaution. It's not that expensive and you can do it yourself if you know how to solder. There's loads of info on how to fix your six on the googlewebs.

Here's one example of a Polysix with leaking battery (and I've seen worse, much worse).
Took the battery out about 6 years ago only just getting round to replacing it.

Bit of damage on the board as well (the same as the pic) but I should be able to fix that. And two new chips that I'm told are easy to find.

And if it still works after that then a midi refit is in order methinks. http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=399&lngid=en

Thanks anyway
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

martelo

Post by martelo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

no cat available atm
Last edited by martelo on Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 pm

hi martelo :D , nice!
*** Image GAFM ***

martelo

Post by martelo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Hallo SubFunk,
well, that was a qick response. How do you manage that? ;)
m.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 6:06 pm

martelo wrote:Hallo SubFunk,
well, that was a qick response. How do you manage that? ;)
m.
natural speedy gonzales... i am multitasking all the time... :lol:

hans dampf in allen gassen, wie man so schoen auf deutsch sagt... LOL
*** Image GAFM ***

martelo

Post by martelo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:14 pm

:D hehe
since i've got no cat arround, you have nothing to worry about.

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Mon May 03, 2010 8:51 pm

My current setup..

Can't believe I waited this long to get an APC40 though. Got my first set in front of real people (as opposed to friends etc) in a few weeks time!

J

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:52 pm

^^^ mhhh beer!
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm

@martelo - nice to see your set-up - neat...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 am

It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 am

Johnisawesome wrote:current incarnation of my junk
fixed.