any good homemade dishes to impress the ladies?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepezabala

Re: any good homemade dishes to impress the ladies?

Post by pepezabala » Tue May 19, 2009 7:33 am

you gain points by a good salad sauce: 2 spoonfull olive oil, 1 spoonfull aceto balsamico (italian tasty vinegar), salt and a bit of honey. Stirr it up and drop it over the salad leaves.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am

You speak the truth.

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 am

you should just get your mum to make something,
then heat it up in the oven and claim it as yours....
???

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Tue May 19, 2009 10:51 am

SERVE A POUND OF SIZZLING PORK DOWN THE GULLET FOLLOWED BY A SPIT ROAST. SHE WILL LEAVE STUFFED BUT HAPPY

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am

nuxnamon wrote:It's only recently that i found out the difference between lettuce and cabbage..
8O

I think you should stick to something simple like this

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue May 19, 2009 11:20 am

err...get some chicken. like a tray of wings (or some drumsticks and chop them up smaller)
put them in a roasting tray
splash some olive oil over
add a big cup of white wine (or beer if you want), salt, pepper, about 5 cloves of smashed garlic (dont bother skinning them), a couple of chopped chilis (if you want), a handful of ripped up herbs (parsley, coriander, basil are all good), some rind off a lemon or a lime.

mix it all up with your hands and put it in the oven on 200 for about a half hour. mix it around a bit after about 15 mins. its done when its all browned

serve it with rice - you know how to cook that surely?

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue May 19, 2009 11:53 am

fresh pasta.

green pesto.

nice parmesan.

red wine

1. cook pasta.
2. mix in pesto
3. grate parmesan
4. eat and drink.

simple. effective.

the fish is a good idea as well. grilled salmon is easy and nice. bit of lemon, bit of black pepper, under the grill for 10 minutes or so, server with some new potatoes and stuff like that.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 pm

et voila!
spreader of butter

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

carbonara.

egg, 'itallian grated cheese', salt, pepper cream. whip it, pour it on linguine with some bacon shards. mix it up and serve.

I like a wee home made garlic bread with it. microwave some butter with garlic salt granules and apply to bread of some sort. then toast or cook in oven.

I like mine too salty and too garlicy on one of those half cooked bagettes.

yee ha.

if she wants to watch her waist I got a good recipy out of 'cook yourself thin' its pritty tasty.

same as above however

'itallian grated cheese' 2 egg yokes, salt, pepper, parsley, with an onion paste type thing made by cooking thin chooped onion in a bit of water till soft and nice. add that to the egg mixure then with bacon apply to pasta.

i like both for different reasons

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:07 pm

stay away from pastas... she'll feel bloated and you wont get anything.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:43 pm

mdk wrote:fresh pasta.

green pesto.

nice parmesan.

red wine

1. cook pasta.
2. mix in pesto
3. grate parmesan
4. eat and drink.

simple. effective.
Unless you have a grill, I think Italian is your best bet. The ingredients are easy to find, the dishes are pretty easy, and there are lots of good recipes. I started cooking about 5 years ago from Italian cookbooks and the success I had making lots of great meals gave me the confidence to continue to expand my cooking abilities.

Pesto is great, easy, and tasty - not sure if you have a food processor or blender.

If not, go to FoodNetwork.com and search for recipes by Giada, she has a good intersection between simplicity and flavor.

Here is a nice looking, simple one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html
(haven't tried, but easy, and looks tasty)

Then make a salad. Buy some mixed greens or romaine (the bagged stuff is fine). Grab some carrots, red onion, maybe cucumber (anything really, but keep it simple - maybe 3 ingredients on top of the lettuce). Make a dressing out of 2 parts extra virgin olive oil and 1 part balsamic vinegar (don't add this to the salad, reserve it on the side so you can dress your salad at the table).

Get a nice bottle of wine, spend $10-15 minimum. If you don't have wine glasses go buy some, I think Crate and Barrel has them for $3 each.

Presto! Romantic dinner that makes you look like a champ!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm

if all else fails, give her a fist-sandwich.
spreader of butter

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue May 19, 2009 3:48 pm

If she likes asian food give this a try. It might seem like a lot of steps/ingredients but it's seriously easy - I've done it about 5 times now, takes about 25 minutes and tastes AMAZING: the payoff is way higher than the effort you put in.

You will need:
- A steamer like this (not the Cleveland variety)
- 2 salmon fillets
- Some stir-fry type veg like: purple brocolli | sugar snap peas | baby corn | carrots will do, basically any veg that can be cut up into bite sized pieces and steamed.
- either a garlic crusher or a fairly fine grater

For the sauce:
1 spring onion
1 red chili
A clove of garlic (optional)
A 'thumb-sized' portion of ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce (recommend: Kikkoman)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Step 1: Cut a hole in a box (j/k). Chop the brocolli/carrots and put to one side. We're aiming for fairly small, bite sized pieces.

Step 2: Chop the spring onion and chili nice and finely (deseed the chili first). Crush the garlic and grate the ginger into a bowl, mixing the whole lot in with the soy sauce and olive oil. Mix around a good bit and leave to the side - it's supposed to look like a brown lumpy mess, don't worry about that.

Step 3: Put the steamer into a pot so you can still fit the lid on tight. Fill with water so it's touching the bottom of the steamer and bring to the boil.

Step 4. Now just put the 'harder' type veg at the bottom, and the salmon and softer veg at the top. Pop the lid on and cook for maybe 5-10 minutes (this is a matter of judgement, you can't really fuck it up).

Step 5. Serve with white wine. Mix up the sauce again before drizzling it on everything. She will be putty in your hands.

note: it might be handy to have a salad on the side or boil a few baby potatoes if you're looking for a big feast, but be wary of points mentioned above re bloatedness.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue May 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Homebelly wrote:
hangar17 wrote:fish and wine sir and you will never go wrong =)
I have been a chef for 25ish years.
Cooked all over every where.
My CV/Resume would dazzle the bejebus out of you 8)
It is from this highly experienced and authoritative position that i will back up this suggestion. :wink:
I will only add this.
Get your self a couple of fillets of some nice but firm fish.
Fry it in a little oil and butter.
It is cooked when it is firm to the touch but a little flaky.
The fish will be white and opaque.
At this point squeeze quarter of a lemon per person on to the fish and then take it out of the pan.
Make a little salad with tomato,Olives, capers and mixed leaves.
You should be able to buy mixed leaves at any good super market.
The capers will be in jars, buy the ones in brine.
If you want to you could cook some rice.
Cous Cous is easier.
Buy the instant cous-cous.
You can add some nuts and dried fruit to it.
Boil some water, pour it over the cous-cous, cover the cous-cous and let it stand for five minutes.
Uncover it and mix it up, add some butter to it if you want, or, if your feeling really
dangerous, chop up some celantro/corriander and mix that in.
Salad, fried fish, cous cous, wine. Its all very simple and Dude, you are sooo gnna get laid!!
yaaa thats the one
you are so soo soooo gonna get laid!!
hell i'll let you do me if you cook that for me :P

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 19, 2009 4:19 pm

+1 on fish. Always looks more impressive than the effort needed. Trouble with pasta dishes, is she's more likely to think you just popped the top off a jar of ready mixed source even if you did it from scratch.

Also grilled meat (marinaded a good idea as it means you've started prep early) with grilled veg, salad and dips and stuff.

Make it look pretty with different colours, nicely arranged, etc. Lots of bits and pieces to try. Girls like that kind of thing more than a bowl of grey gruel, no matter how good it tastes.