Music you hate...... And why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChiDJ

Re: Music you hate...... And why?

Post by ChiDJ » Fri May 22, 2009 3:02 pm

My own. It never feels good enough while I'm writing it. Same beat and groove over and over for hours on end while I write and tweak and toil. Then, I put it away for a while. I come back and I love it. (most of the time).

But, it's still never good enough.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 22, 2009 3:06 pm

ChiDJ wrote:My own. It never feels good enough while I'm writing it. Same beat and groove over and over for hours on end while I write and tweak and toil. Then, I put it away for a while. I come back and I love it. (most of the time).

But, it's still never good enough.

Ditto...

Besides that I don't like fake, toy, overproduced, over hyped, mainstream, pop, lyrical lies, twangy, whiny music with no soul - only the need to fill a void that sticks out like hemmoroids...

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Solo jazz drumming. Remember seeing part of a set by some guy touted as one of the world’s greatest drummers or something.

Boom-tisch…(5s pause)... tisch-tisch thud.. (10s pause)… crash!... (8s pause)... boom… (7s pause)… thud-boom tisch…

And so on for like 8 mins followed by rapturous applause. Now, I’m sure he was working in time signatures and syncopations my feeble musical mind couldn’t begin to fathom, but it just sounded like no rhythm and very very few drum hits. Just wanted to scream “You’re a drummer, just give me a fucking beat!”

Actually, I can apply this to quite a lot of jazz. And I get the impression some of them do it deliberately, like the fewer people who get it, the better. If I think it sounds wank, then I’m clearly too simple.

That and everything else that’s above my head.

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm

b0unce wrote:

Regarding the psy-pants raves you're attending, man...those middle class dickwads sound like a fucking pleasure compared to psy-pants raves organised by the ketamine scoffing junkies & krusties of france and spain.

There's plenty of those to go round as well, you just don't really converse with them - except maybe to try and point out all the shit round their face!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Salty P wrote:
Personally I absolutely hate PSY-TARNCE, I like music to have some balls, and not bore me to tears with endless floaty pads and crash cymbals.
Odd, some of the music I have termed Psy Trance makes Industrial music sound wimpy... It has absolutely ripping synths, tearing it up like there was no tomorrow.

Granted I find the majority of music based on 4 on the floor rhythm pretty boring. I prefer more syncopation.

To be honest, I hate most popular music.

And as much as I love (& I mean LOVE) Reggae, Caribbean, & African music, I find most black-American music not to my liking. There is very little Jazz, Funk, Soul, R&B, & Hip Hop that I enjoy. :| I think Hip Hop artists Public Enemy are amazing, but most can't hit those heights. I do like black American pop from the 50's & 60's, & Cab Calloway style 1930's Jazz though. "Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho!"
Last edited by oblique strategies on Fri May 22, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 22, 2009 3:24 pm

the_antagonist wrote:its not the music i hate its the people who listen to the music I hate that I hate.
While hate is a strong word... I totally fucking get your point... in a big way.

I'm seriously in disbeleif when I watch TV these days. Which is rare. No seriously. I watch movies all the time but I don't even get basic channels. Thats a choice and has nothing to with location. I live right outside of Oakland/Berkeley California there is plenty available. Hearing the soundtracks of the average doesn't-know-any-better Joe's life is a sad sad sad sad sad sad sad thing.

I wish I could help them.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri May 22, 2009 3:32 pm

COLDPLAY SUCKS I cant go anywhere with out hearing that absolute shit...its making me sick.

abort

Post by abort » Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm

My friends listen to smashing pumpkins every where we go. I can't stand it! :(

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri May 22, 2009 3:47 pm

I hate hip hop and rap music the most, and I hate the people who listen to it more.

I also hate anyone who claims that Rap and Hip Hop are different styles of music - FUCK YOU -
rap being the thug stuff and hip hop being everything else - allegedly - fuck them again.

I hate the fact that when I meet someone whos into rap and they find out I produce breaks and DnB and always say "you should make hip hop beats man, that would be so much better" as if I really wanna lower the bar on myself.

I always meet these dumb little fuckers who say "I dont know how to do that but you can produce it for me right", when I never offered a fucking thing.

I hate rap people who tell me their a producer, then I ask what system they use, then they say "an MPC, it does it all man, everything"
*note - MPC's are OK, but if you think it does "everything" you expose your own stupidity and or producer poser status.

I hate the marketing of stupidity and low class degenerate behavior as the end all be all of cool things in rap music.

I also hate piano driven house music, but not nearly as much.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri May 22, 2009 3:55 pm

the spirograph crew wrote:
Rave wrote:Anything that is refered to using one or more of the following words:
Dirty, twisted, electro, funky or sexy. :evil:

99% of the time it aint.
+1 :!: :!:
:lol:

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm

For the past two months Ive had the misfits collection 1 and 2 in the cd player of my car. Everyones complained about it.

edited because it looked like a I had sex with my mother.
Last edited by ThrowAway on Fri May 22, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 pm

mike_o wrote:I hate hip hop and rap music the most, and I hate the people who listen to it more.
Well I don't hate you, but you do sound like a bit of an asshole.

I like hip hop. I don't care about bling and glamour. I probably don't like 90% of the same hip hop (rap) you don't like.

I don't know where you live or what style of music is predominant there. I'm guessing that you probably live in a box that is dominated by your style but I can tell you've got your face either stuck so far in your own shit or up your own ass that you think every kid who wants a beat is on your nuts. They just wanna rhyme and they think that you just like making beats. In hip hop that equals a starting point.

Whose jock were you on when you first started? You had to have some idol or something even if you lived in the sticks and just wanted to get out sooooo bad and move to the city so you could be just like ______________.

Don't forget you roots.

Gab

Post by Gab » Fri May 22, 2009 4:02 pm

mike_o wrote:I also hate piano driven house music, but not nearly as much.
I've got someting for you, then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKywmELG690
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri May 22, 2009 4:12 pm

H20nly wrote:
mike_o wrote:I hate hip hop and rap music the most, and I hate the people who listen to it more.
Well I don't hate you, but you do sound like a bit of an asshole.

I like hip hop. I don't care about bling and glamour. I probably don't like 90% of the same hip hop (rap) you don't like.

I don't know where you live or what style of music is predominant there. I'm guessing that you probably live in a box that is dominated by your style but I can tell you've got your face either stuck so far in your own shit or up your own ass that you think every kid who wants a beat is on your nuts. They just wanna rhyme and they think that you just like making beats. In hip hop that equals a starting point.

Whose jock were you on when you first started? You had to have some idol or something even if you lived in the sticks and just wanted to get out sooooo bad and move to the city so you could be just like ______________.

Don't forget you roots.

wow. sounds like I hurt someones tender little feelings here, and I am originally from SF area now living in LA, all styles of music are predominate around me.(if thats actually possible).

as far as where my heads at, its in my headphones making my own music because I have the talent and the work ethic to do it without begging someone else to create it for me.

and no, not every kid that wants a beat is on my nuts, I never said that. the point is the rock & roll guys, metalheads, the R&B guys and gals and all the raver types along the way might ask how something works or what it does or if I can give them some info about doing it themselves, the MC's and wanna be hip hop producers are ALWAYS the ones who very arrogantly say "you can just do it for me" which is fucking lazy and insulting, as you say in hip hop thats a starting point, in life thats being a lazy hack.

oh, and my musical heros over the years have been slayer, uberzone, DJ Dan, machine head, pantera, the crystal method and more.

"but I can tell you've got your face either stuck so far in your own shit or up your own ass that you think every kid who wants a beat is on your nuts" - and how exactly can you tell that? this is typical of hip hop ignorance.

"Well I don't hate you, but you do sound like a bit of an asshole." this part you are somewhat correct about, but I'm only an asshole through honesty, which I believe is the best kind of asshole to be.
Last edited by mike_o on Fri May 22, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Fri May 22, 2009 4:13 pm

I also hate anyone who claims that Rap and Hip Hop are different styles of music - FUCK YOU -
rap being the thug stuff and hip hop being everything else - allegedly - fuck them again.

I hate the fact that when I meet someone whos into rap and they find out I produce breaks and DnB and always say "you should make hip hop beats man, that would be so much better" as if I really wanna lower the bar on myself.

I always meet these dumb little fuckers who say "I dont know how to do that but you can produce it for me right", when I never offered a fucking thing.

I hate rap people who tell me their a producer, then I ask what system they use, then they say "an MPC, it does it all man, everything"
*note - MPC's are OK, but if you think it does "everything" you expose your own stupidity and or producer poser status.

I hate the marketing of stupidity and low class degenerate behavior as the end all be all of cool things in rap music.

I also hate piano driven house music, but not nearly as much.
check out this guys myspace page influences half of them are directly inspired by hiphop and rap music and the other half directly use samples from hiphop music in their own music. All I can say is what a twat, grow up boy.
and that is coming from a gargoyle.
the Gargoyle