Modular synth analog sequencer plug-in?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Leon Tricker

Re: Modular synth analog sequencer plug-in?

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue May 26, 2009 5:58 pm

selthym wrote:
Leon Tricker wrote:
selthym wrote:Use 8 Midi (Instrument) Racks instead of 8 tracks per part. This way you get get it done in 4 tracks instead of 36.
Hi Selthym, are you able to elaborate on how to set this up? How would the MIDI racks trigger notes in Operator?
quote]

Insert a pitch effect and a velocity effect (and a note length effect if you like). Select all devices and click group. Now expand this rack so you can see this 'chain'. Copy and paste the chain 7 more times. I would name these steps 1 through to 8.

Map your midi controller so that the control (fader / rotary) for step 1's velocity is mapped to the step 1 chains velocity. Do this for all the controls.

Create a new clip on this track. Place a note of the same pitch at the appropriate interval. I would place these notes at 1.1 1.3 2.1 2.3 3.1 3.3 4.1 4.3 of a 1 bar clip.

Go into the envelope editor in the clip and select 'midi effect rack' > 'Chain Selector' as the envelope to edit. Draw in an envelop that steps through each chain in line with the notes you drew. Now each note should be sent to only that steps 'chain'.

I would personally now drop a scale effect after this rack and then the single instance of operator, or any other instrument you please.

Save this set so it is easy to recall whenever you want to start a new project.
Selthym, just got back from work and tried this out: works a treat! Exactly what I wanted, thank you so much.And using MIDI effect racks opens up some GREAT potential for macro controls etc.

REALLY excited about getting another BCR2000 now to take hands on control of all this! :D

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Reaktor has tons and tons of sequencers in that old modular stylee.

Lots of synths have their own as well, like the Moog Modular V, ARP 2600 V, and some more modern approaches like the sequencers or sequenced arps of Zebra, Albino, Alchemy, Sylenth1 etc etc. Some of them might have midi out to use the sequencers.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Reaktor has tons and tons of sequencers in that old modular stylee.

Lots of synths have their own as well, like the Moog Modular V, ARP 2600 V, and some more modern approaches like the sequencers or sequenced arps of Zebra, Albino, Alchemy, Sylenth1 etc etc. Some of them might have midi out to use the sequencers.
Fair enough, but I am trying to use Live and Operator and that's all. Trying to keep it all in Live.

Selthym's method rocks! Have been playing around this evening with his idea feeding a Drum Rack. It's great coz you can use the Pitch device to choose which drum hit to play on each step.

Basically, I can create percussion, bass, and melody sequences from scratch (and modify them infinately on the fly) using just some rotary controllers. This is a truly interactive composing experience! So much more fun then playing keyboard :D