SAM ASH....never again

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dcease

Re: SAM ASH....never again

Post by dcease » Tue May 26, 2009 11:45 pm

beats me wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:they will match any online prices. Plus they will give another percentage off.
Are there any walk-in stores that also won't charge you tax to exactly match the online price? That's a huge plus for buying online.
gc will... at least here in texas. they set up a 'producers' account, whatever the fuck that means. you sign some piece of paper with your ss #, and no taxes for 2 years. not too sure if this is entirely legal tho :lol:
ooppss misread, the 'producers' account is tax free, plus whatever discounts you can get :) :wink: and you can walk away with it. but their selection pales compared to the internets. good place for cables and strings... and n00bs :lol:

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed May 27, 2009 2:23 am

in my state sales tax in 7% I always get at least 20% off the lowest online price.

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 am

B&H: Outstanding service - the only mail order house I would EVER buy from (Sweetwater as well, but I have no need). I've spent at least $30,000.00 in camera gear in the past 6 years from B&H - they shipped an $8,000.00 Nikon D3x to me today - and I've NEVER had a problem with product, NEVER received an "open product" nor have I ever had any sort of "bait & switch" or any other sort of hanky-panky from B&H. I do (and plan to do so in the future) highly recommend them. B&H Guy - you guys fucking ROCK!

Guitar Center & Sam Ash: Since I live in Hollywood, I buy a lot from both branches. I don't really favor one over the other, although I tend to buy guitars from Guitar Center and woodwinds/more esoteric instruments from Sam Ash just by nature of the inventory they carry. I like to buy musical gear from a brick & mortar store - it is EASY to tell if a box has been opened and resealed. If it looks even REMOTELY like it might have been opened/previously used, I tell 'em to go get me another box. If that's the only one they have, I walk across the street and go to the other vendor. I REFUSE to buy anything that even "might" have been opened. I have sales reps at both GC and SA that know their shit in their respective departments (primarily pro audio and keys), and they know that I spend a fuck of a lot of money at their stores - so they do me right. I do my homework for the most part anyway - so even if the sales guy is a total idiot, I'm getting what I want...at the price I want.

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

Tone Deft wrote: funny, it's that same routine that makes me hate Sweetwater. I dropped a few thousand with them a few years ago, the same guy still keeps cold calling my cell phone.

yeah I bought an AC adaptor from them and now they call me out of the blue and ask me how things are going in the music world... :lol: ...well I am broke and need a job that what's music good for...

lvehon

Post by lvehon » Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 am

I usually use a combination of Sweetwater and Americanmusical. I've ended up spending quite a bit of money with americanmusical because they have the easy payments plan that splits the payments up equally over three or five months, interest free, and it's not credit based. There is like a $4 charge though. Their selection isn't quite as good but they have most of the more popular items.

sleepwalkermusic

Post by sleepwalkermusic » Thu May 28, 2009 2:00 am

Ditto. I ordered an APC from them, but I'm really tired of getting calls at my work just to see how I'm doing.
Tone Deft wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:I vote for Sweetwater as well. They're professional, respectful, and deal with you on a personal level. No BS.

I've had this guy over there called David taking care of all my orders for the past 3 years and he's the man. Always calls me up for confirmation and updates on my orders and helps me out with any decisions ranging from simple stuff like saving a couple bucks on shipping to more complex stuff, like choosing this or that for whatever. Cool guy. Very helpful. He actually called me up the other day with some very good news regarding a certain pre-ordered item (cough*apc*cough). :mrgreen:
funny, it's that same routine that makes me hate Sweetwater. I dropped a few thousand with them a few years ago, the same guy still keeps cold calling my cell phone. Chad Byer, please leave me the fuck alone, I don't need your help, don't want it, never asked for it.

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 am

sleepwalkermusic wrote:Ditto. I ordered an APC from them, but I'm really tired of getting calls at my work just to see how I'm doing.
"Hey...how yooo doin'?" :)

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu May 28, 2009 2:09 am

why would you give anyone your work number?

astromass

Post by astromass » Thu May 28, 2009 2:18 am

americanmusical.com is the shit...
im in pennsylvania, and i order from them and it arrives the next day, all with free shipping...
the selection kinda sucks, but they've always had what i needed.
i could really care about talking to a sales rep, unless i'm buying a personalized instrument, like a bass or guitar...
all hail AMS!!!
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

hmendelson

Post by hmendelson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:37 am

that's a really embarrassing post regarding your visit to sam ash ... i'm one of the execs in ny and i cringed when i read your what happened at the store.

i'd love to know what store you visited so i could get the manager to make changes for the better. it would really be great if you could contact me directly ... i know we blew it on this one, but maybe i could straighten things out so you'd get the kind of service and help you should get at the store ... plus, i'd like to offer you something just to try and get you to try us again.

my email address is hlmendelson@gmail.com ... my name is howie and i'm held responsible for the way our stores run, so i'm not looking too good on this one! hope i hear from you and i deeply apologize for the way things went down at that store.