Streamworks Audio Announces Release of SWA Complete Live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
purpurkatten

Re: Streamworks Audio Announces Release of SWA Complete Live 8

Post by purpurkatten » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks for the tip, although Streamworks is lucky there are forums like this to make things clear that they don´t do themselves.

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Just purchased. DL'ing now. Then copy to USB key and take home to watch.

dburns

Post by dburns » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 am

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But the dl took forever! I have a 6mb cable connection, and the dl didn't get over around 200kB! But, there were no errors.

The setup makes you install an Adobe player (not the standard Flash player), which seems to call home when run. Part of the piracy protection, no doubt. But, I can't blame Streamworks for protecting their content. They do quality work.

I'll let ya know how the vid is.

:)
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

dab

Post by dab » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Any comments on this? Is it any good...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:07 pm

IT'S THE BEST !

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 pm

3dot... wrote:IT'S THE BEST !
Good for you. Not so good for me. :?

1. The tutorial is a program that you install. This program now has crashed my computer 3 times in a row. At the same place about 3 min into the video, it´s reboot time.
2. There is no clear clock to see where in time in the video I am (that´s why I can´t say exactly the time when the video crashes).
3. I´ve contacted support that says it need 2 business days to respond. Kind of weird having to wait several days for "tech support" to (maybe) be able to check a tutorial video...
4. There is an intro with a guy welcoming me for about 2 min that I can´t pass without having to view it everytime I start the tutorial video. Since I´ll hardly see the several hour long tutorial from start to end, but I plan to go back and see it during some evenings, this is a bit annoying.
Last edited by purpurkatten on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 pm

does it use house music for the tutorials or something that sounds like house music?

existe

Post by existe » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 pm

dab wrote:Any comments on this? Is it any good...
It was ok...for the price I got some stuff out of it but the app used to view it is terrible, as mentioned above you cannot bypass the intro among other things. I felt (for me) the content was just "ok" at best. The overall flow of the training did not seem right to me. It does have some good nuggets in it but I cannot say if it is worth that cost to you.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:56 pm

but seriously, what kind of music is used for the tutorials

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:56 pm

purpurkatten wrote:

1. The tutorial is a program that you install. This program now has crashed my computer 3 times in a row. At the same place about 3 min into the video, it´s reboot time.
2. There is no clear clock to see where in time in the video I am (that´s why I can´t say exactly the time when the video crashes).
3. I´ve contacted support that says it need 2 business days to respond. Kind of weird having to wait several days for "tech support" to (maybe) be able to check a tutorial video...
4. There is an intro with a guy welcoming me for about 2 min that I can´t pass without having to view it everytime I start the tutorial video. Since I´ll hardly see the several hour long tutorial from start to end, but I plan to go back and see it during some evenings, this is a bit annoying.
IT'S STILL THE BEST !

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:02 pm

3dot... wrote:
purpurkatten wrote:

IT'S STILL THE BEST !
Funny guy, what are you comparing with?

I´d rather recommend the following I´ve watched:
- http://www.softwaretrainingtutorials.co ... live-7.php
- https://askvideo.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

Hey, even http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/press ... live_7.htm was better, since it at least worked!

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:05 pm

starving student wrote:but seriously, what kind of music is used for the tutorials
Austrian folk music, of course. Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah during the whole video! 8O

Seriously, the little I heard - before the video crashed repeatedly - was electronic music. What else did you expect?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:14 pm

purpurkatten wrote: IT'S STILL THE BEST !
I wrote: Funny guy, what are you comparing with?

I´d rather recommend the following I´ve watched:
- http://www.softwaretrainingtutorials.co ... live-7.php
- https://askvideo.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

Hey, even http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/press ... live_7.htm was better, since it at least worked!
still... :twisted:

dburns

Post by dburns » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Chris Hawkins,

I am disappointed too. I don't mind the player, it works fine here. But, I'd like to be able to skip the intro. :)

The content is not as deep as I expected either. I have your Sonar 7 video, and it is more detailed and informative than this one for Live 8.

I also think you slipped a little on production values. At one point Analog locks up, and the presenter just acknowledges it and moves on. I think he should have shown how to fix it, or that part should have been edited out.

Also, there is a feedback squeal on much of the demo. It's faint, but any musician is going to hear it, and it is annoying. Those parts of the narrative should have been redone.

I appreciate your work, and earlier procucts, but this one seems rushed, ill-prepared, and not up to professional standards.

I hope you can offer a revised edition to us early buyers.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:17 pm

purpurkatten wrote:
starving student wrote:but seriously, what kind of music is used for the tutorials
Austrian folk music, of course. Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah during the whole video! 8O

Seriously, the little I heard - before the video crashed repeatedly - was electronic music. What else did you expect?

i expected electronic music but I wanted to know if it was electronic music with changes in it or that damn same fuckin beat over and over again, I'm so sick of tutorials that use shit like that for hours of sampler software training. Right about now Nick the zombies is the one to beat, I'm gonna have to check this one out.