Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:48 am

Imaulle wrote:
nuperspective wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1H9W_iLff0

check out the other parts as well.

fuck Richie Hawtin
YEAH FUCK THAT GUY! HE'S MADE A LIVING OFF HIS MUSIC SO HE AUTOMATICALLY FALLS ON MY HATE LIST!!!!!!!!!

SCREAM! ANGER! FRUSTRATION! DIE!!!!! ARRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!

IP

Post by IP » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 am

starving student wrote:it's not that it's just that this thread is mainly about traktor
Agree with you

but there are so many djing software out there...

traktor
serato
torq
virtual DJ/cue
pcdj

and 10-20 more

personally i have listen (from different people) for each one except pcdj that is the standard

The thread title is "Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing"

id say does Traktor becoming the standard for djing?

timwright

Post by timwright » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:07 am

IP wrote:Hi!
Im looking for "laptop" djing solution too!
(I mean to go software + controller)

5 pages and your are talking only about Serato and Traktor!

No one even mention Virtual DJ

Is it so bad? or just no famous enough?
Virtual DJ is brilliant. I bought version 3 but never used it as my laptop was shit. About a month ago I checked what version they were on and it was 6, so I downloaded it to give it a try (free updates for life by the way :wink: ).

I've used it twice a week ever since, and it is fantastic. I'll admit, the library / browser doesn't feel as well thought out as Traktor, but it does so much more. Video/FX/etc. and in the 8 or so nights I've used it I haven't had one drop out.

For the record, I use it with the timecoded CDs, alongside a pair of CDJ800s and an ESI U46DJ interface (great budget interface which is made for this type of use).

To answer your question, it's just not famous enough. But if it's good enough for ColdCut and Dennis Ferrer, then I can't see why it's not good enough for others.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 am

^^^ that is a funny argument, those guys usually do not choose what they use, they get paid a lot.... I know that dj nookie (good looking crew) uses a system from numark... Don't know the name, but he would choose something else if he had to pay it by himself... (it's in many cases not just a NFR but a monthly sum and or tour budgets they get) some one needs to present that stuff, otherwise people would only buy serato or traktor.

And i don't say other dj apps are bad, i don't know them at all... Just saying because X or Y uses it it's good is silly.
*** Image GAFM ***

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:32 pm

SubFunk wrote:Just saying because X or Y uses it it's good is silly.
+1 :D

Who cares who uses what, if it works for you then use it.... I wouldn't say aything is becoming standard for me while DJing as my setup evolves constantly and I'm sure that goes for most other DJ's. Tarktor is just another tool to be utilised and it would be a mistake to limit yourself and see it as anything else. I currently use Traktor and Live7 for mixing as they both have their advantages but I'm always on the lookout for new and more creative solutions.
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:13 pm

ok well lets open it up, what app has more features than traktor or is better in some way workflow or other?

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:58 pm

apparently live cannot be used for for djing its used for production......thank you youtube for giving me the education i would lack without you. So traktor is the only way to go for djing on a computer.....sorry still trying to shake of those statements that where hurled at me

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 pm

sacredgeometry wrote:apparently live cannot be used for for djing its used for production......thank you youtube for giving me the education i would lack without you.
:?: Cyber-sarcasm :?:

sacredgeometry wrote:So traktor is the only way to go for djing on a computer.....sorry still trying to shake of those statements that where hurled at me

peace

brian
There is no "only way to go."

The only standard for DJing is to get inside of your audience's head. Everything else is a distraction from this goal.

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 pm

The thing I don't get about a lot of people that are using laptops and software for DJing is that they will buy a controller like the Behringer BCD2000 (for Traktor) or the APC40 and stop using their mixer? I've yet to find better EQ's than on the DJM800 and it's midi assignable!! Even without a midi assignable mixer you can get great little controllers from faderfox that work well in most DJing situations. I'm in no way dissing the APC 40 as I think it's amazing but considering the years that have gone into developing mixers to do exactly what a DJ needs I think it's crazy to ignore them?

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 pm

hawtin uses both live and traktor to dj... traktor just paid him first

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:26 am

Minimal Justice System wrote:The thing I don't get about a lot of people that are using laptops and software for DJing is that they will buy a controller like the Behringer BCD2000 (for Traktor) or the APC40 and stop using their mixer? I've yet to find better EQ's than on the DJM800 and it's midi assignable!! Even without a midi assignable mixer you can get great little controllers from faderfox that work well in most DJing situations. I'm in no way dissing the APC 40 as I think it's amazing but considering the years that have gone into developing mixers to do exactly what a DJ needs I think it's crazy to ignore them?
i use a 'traditional' dj mixer... And traktor3, this is what i like next tomany other things about traktor, that you can completely disable the internal mixer section... But i am shocked that you consider the pioneer EQ as good sounding, i think you never played on a rodec or formula sound... Respectively never heard a good EQ 8O
*** Image GAFM ***

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am

SubFunk wrote:i use a 'traditional' dj mixer... And traktor3, this is what i like next tomany other things about traktor, that you can completely disable the internal mixer section... But i am shocked that you consider the pioneer EQ as good sounding, i think you never played on a rodec or formula sound... Respectively never heard a good EQ 8O
I also use traktor,live and a traditional mixer but know a lot of people that are using controllers.... I do consider the EQ's on the DJM800 as good sounding but when you consider the effects also available on the mixer I find it hard to see much else as logical progression (I could get an EFX 1000 I guess). I don't requre a 4 band EQ as I don't mix prog so I find Allen and Heath overkill and I would love to get another Intimidation Blue mixer with it's wonderfull rotary kills but alas they don't make em anymore?! To suggest I've never heard a good EQ because I go for Pioneer over Rodec or Formula Sound is like suggesting I don't know a good car because I drive a Porsche and not a Ferrari or Lamborghini, I'm sure they both make wonderful mixers but they don't offer what I'm looking for. I'm sure I could go on to list DJ's and clubs that use Pioneer mixers but I find that pointless as it's up to the individual to find what they like... You like Rodec for instance?

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 am

traktor isnt becoming the standard.

laptops are becoming the standard.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:58 pm

the_antagonist wrote:traktor isnt becoming the standard.

laptops are becoming the standard.

indeed...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:53 pm

@ MJS hey, hey just wondering... Indeed are pioneer mixers (all of them) to me are a disease like hiv far to many have... and yes i love rodec, i know they have an utterly old design, no efx, no midi, no firlefanz... but take ANY club system in the world not running a rodec or formula sound, connect and compare what you will hear now, i promise you your jaw will drop onto the floor and you want get it up for the next 2 hours...

and not to hijack this thread... I am not surprised traktor becomes fast very poular under laptop DJs... It's simply great i think...

Peace.
*** Image GAFM ***