Your dance floor days are numbered

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2009 4:33 pm

As I get older I sometimes ponder on the things I no longer do or don't want to do and luckily nature has built in a sense of apathy towards most of these things as you get older but one of the things that bugs me is that probably within the next 5 years I will become that out of place creepy guy on the dance floor.

Up until a couple years ago people would way underestimate my age when guessing but lately they've been guessing closer to the "uh oh" truth, and I get that "awww, it's so adorable you're still soldiering through this dance thing. Would you like some warm milk?" vibe.

There was a house night I used to frequent a few years ago and there was also this couple probably in their mid to late 50's that would go but everybody loved them because they were obviously into the music and mostly happily danced as a couple and kept to themselves but they were definitely part of the starring cast. But to do that solo or with a group of dudes would be creepy…hipster…something wrong with this picture.

Sometimes out of convenience or laziness I end up at a venue that caters to the 50 and up crowd and they usually are spinning disco or earlier with some current hits and I think that's cool, but I can't think of anything more silly then a place that spins then classic house for people in their 50's and up…my prime.

Does anybody else think about this shit?

I'm 36 if that matters.
Last edited by beats me on Fri May 29, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by Sage » Fri May 29, 2009 4:39 pm

A guy I used to work with was in his 50's and where he's so into his music he'd always be finding out what gigs and events were on and we'd always go with him, we were all a mix of people in our 20's.

I don't think there ever comes a point to 'stop' clubbing, just don't go chatting up young girls.

DJDJ
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by DJDJ » Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 pm

It's all in your head. Just because there hasn't historically been a lot of 40+ people on the dancefloor doesn't mean that there won't be in the future. Like it or not, the rave generation is aging, and many continue to go out, and it's gonna stay that way. The parties I go to are so mixed in age and nobody cares. Just keep going out, keep being cool, and don't worry about it. It's your home too. Aways will be. Problem solved.

Seriously, what makes "that older guy" weird is the fact that he's lost touch-- just don't lose touch, and you'll be fine

aisling
Posts: 2640
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:58 am
Location: 50 miles north of SF

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by aisling » Fri May 29, 2009 5:01 pm

:oops: I am turning 40 this sept. I feel you.....Not to get tarncey on yo azz, but know that goa gil is pushing 60 and still playing parties (although he can't beat match for shit....and I don't know why he is successful to begin with, but he does travel the world and has a career, while I masturbate on the forum eating a box of bon-bons)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing


Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri May 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Learn to really dance. I mean real dancing, like salsa, mambo, rumba, tango, even foxtrot, not the gyrate like an orangutang in heat crap that I see most people doing. I go clubs and dances and girls half my age will ask me to dance with them!

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 pm

there isn't anything inherently creepy about the old guy at the dance party I don't think. the old guy might be creepy but it depends entirely on his vibe. just do yourself a favor and don't spend time looking at any of the ladies under 30 and you'll be much less likely to be seen as creepy.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

nuxnamon
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: 650 area

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by nuxnamon » Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

beats me wrote:As I get older I sometimes ponder on the things I no longer do or don't want to do and luckily nature has built in a sense of apathy towards most of these things as you get older but one of the things that bugs me is that probably within the next 5 years I will become that out of place creepy guy on the dance floor.

Up until a couple years ago people would way underestimate my age when guessing but lately they've been guessing closer to the "uh oh" truth, and I get that "awww, it's so adorable you're still soldiering through this dance thing. Would you like some warm milk?" vibe.

There was a house night I used to frequent a few years ago and there was also this couple probably in their mid to late 50's that would go but everybody loved them because they were obviously into the music and mostly happily danced as a couple and kept to themselves but they were definitely part of the starring cast. But to do that solo or with a group of dudes would be creepy…hipster…something wrong with this picture.

Sometimes out of convenience or laziness I end up at a venue that caters to the 50 and up crowd and they usually are spinning disco or earlier with some current hits and I think that's cool, but I can't think of anything more silly then a place that spins then classic house for people in their 50's and up…my prime.

Does anybody else think about this shit?

I'm 36 if that matters.
same age here and if it matters.. Oil of Olay.. works for me and keeps them from getting close to my real age.. but totally know how you feel.. but i've managed to look alot younger than my friends.. coincidence or not, they all happen to have kids/wife while i just have a gf.. I swear they look alot older.. but yeah, i think about the age thing too.. I saw this guy called "mochipet" at the Independent and I swear.. either I am getting older, or I just don't get some of today's underground scene..

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 29, 2009 5:31 pm

I went into walmart the other day hoping to buy a tv/vcr combo for like $79. apparently they don't make those anymore.

I felt a little bit old at that moment. I may as well asked for 8track tapes.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by H20nly » Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I went into walmart the other day hoping to buy a tv/vcr combo for like $79
Saw a VCR/DVD combo at Target the other day.

Wal-Mart is evil.

pulsoc
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Baltimore
Contact:

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by pulsoc » Fri May 29, 2009 5:47 pm


H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by H20nly » Fri May 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:just do yourself a favor and don't spend time looking at any of the ladies under 30 and you'll be much less likely to be seen as creepy.
Thats good advice. Young chicks don't know how to take it. They should be flattered but it gives em something to run their mouth about (cuz they're always yapping) "like oh my God, that guy is totally checking us out... ewe hes like__" (insert what ever age they think is old).

I'm there with you dude. Just turned 34. There's no turning back now. If I had a magic lamp though I wouldn't waste a single wish on trying to get back into my 20s... FUCK THAT. Experience is way better than blind ignorance and "know-it-all" mentality.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2009 6:02 pm

I guess as people are living longer that 40 is no longer the "should stay at home" threshold, and as mentioned either being married or in a long term serious relationship usually leads to that mentality more than a set expiration date. And I'd probably also be surprised at how many people in the crowd are around my age. It's just that I feel there are certain venues I should avoid when any and all places were fair game. It's a hard mental transition from the fun 20-something guy to the older wiser dude on the floor.

I never go out with the intention of hitting on somebody but the social aspect of it is part of the experience too, otherwise I might as well save some money and drink and dance at home. It's just that the general tone of those mostly harmless conversations has changed….or it's all in my head. Perhaps it's even me being older and realizing I no longer have the interest or patience in the same type dribble I participated in years ago.

I have a friend around my age who has been doing the salsa thing for quite some time and he says the females that go to those nights are almost offensively young and he either feels weird about it or quickly realizes he has nothing in common with them but they don't seem to have a problem with his age. Maybe more structured dance venues like that would be a good change of scene because people generally are there to dance and it's not just a hook up club that happens to be playing the music you like.

I'm a huge fan of So You Think You Can Dance and I don't care how gay some people might think that is. I don't see how people could be huge fans of different genres of music and not also be fans of the dance styles they produce.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by H20nly » Fri May 29, 2009 6:08 pm

:idea:
beats me wrote:Perhaps it's even me being older and realizing I no longer have the interest or patience in the same type dribble I participated in years ago.
:idea:

aisling
Posts: 2640
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:58 am
Location: 50 miles north of SF

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by aisling » Fri May 29, 2009 6:38 pm

H20nly wrote: I If I had a magic lamp though I wouldn't waste a single wish on trying to get back into my 20s... FUCK THAT. Experience is way better than blind ignorance and "know-it-all" mentality.
spoken for truth! 8)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing


Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

OvertoneZero
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by OvertoneZero » Fri May 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah man I'm 30 and inherently creepy already so.. pretty much

Post Reply