Your dance floor days are numbered

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
H20nly

Re: Your dance floor days are numbered

Post by H20nly » Sat May 30, 2009 5:20 am

beats me wrote:on most days I'm up before the alarm goes off
That's cuz your neighbors are bumpin Mobb Deep and jumpin the balcony....

aisling wrote:
the_antagonist wrote:i have a daughter. all i wanna do is party for ever.

but I cant. :(

my wife and I agree with you. We hooked thanks to techno music and we both love it. we went for the music and long to go back, but responsibilities are a bitch.
I have 2 daughters.... I agree with you more than you would know. I love my kids.....I never would have guessed that fate would bring me into fatherhood, but the identity clash with my artistic side can make crazy quite often.
Feel that one too... I'm a single dad. Baby boy (6) Mom is in Mississippi. He's been living with me a year and a half. BUT the good news... He's hummed a few basslines for me and I've managed to grab what he was hearing in his little mind's eye/ear. He came up with 2 hooks as well. I even let him pound on the syth and find a usuable loop every now and then (I think he's better on keys than I am). We did a track with a James Brown sample.. "aligator" James says and we switch up the octaves as the beat rolls out...

nebulae wrote: I've come to terms with being an artist and a father. I am fortunate to have a great partner who understands that I have to do my art and be out there. But I only get such a luxury because I give the family 100%. When they're awake.
Amen brother.

nebulae wrote:now I live in a city where their idea of a cool music scene is when Coldplay comes to town....
ThrowAway would hate it there...

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat May 30, 2009 5:54 am

H20nly wrote:. We did a track with a James Brown sample.. "aligator" James says and we switch up the octaves as the beat rolls out...
8) You're my hero, every kid under 10 should get a daily dose of both bob marley and james brown. My kids know "the payback" by heart....I only play it 3-10 times a day to guarantee a dose of soul...... James is an essential nutrient......lack of vitamin J leads to honkitis
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat May 30, 2009 6:12 am

I often see this guy at parties, He is at least 50 and He's always having good time dancing all the night.

Forget what you know and start living, there are not any one rules to tell us what to do about this... Age is not an obstacle.

You are old the way your mind tells you how old you are :P

the world is evolving... Those young rockers born in the 50's are still having good time, even if they past the age of 60!

I tell you that you have plenty of dance floor days facing you :twisted:

Be open mind

_______
About the parents, I have two friends [a lovely couple], they got two child, the last is 4years old.
This kid often gaming with music instruments, and the music side of his parents is a health source for his growing.

I remember that my parents often took me at live gigs or jam sessions.
I was happy to be with my parents, and even if my father tried to push me into making music, it's only at the age of 16 that I decided myself and have bought a guitar, at the great surprise of my dad.
Thanks to them I got music to keep my mind healthy! so much important to me.

Having a child is a tough responsabily, but don't be afraid to share you passion with your kids.
Music is the best medicine in the world, it's healthy, so you kids deserves it. If it's good for you then it's good for them

jmouse

Post by jmouse » Sat May 30, 2009 6:57 am

My dance floor days may be numbered...but at nearly 56, I've been doin Dnb/dub/jungle for a while from a lappie and controllers. I don't gig that often but it always seems to go down well with punters...
Admittedly it gets harder to go to clubs especially with the noise levels and trying to talk to people and with ear-plugs in,but outdoor gigs are ok....and yeah.. it's a fine balance at this age between not appearing to be a creep,and keeping up with music contacts and colleagues,
Thats why I prefer to be behind my gear rather than out front....point is ..I just love the music too much and I can still jump around like a 25yo anyway.
I AM NOT OLD!..I AM NOT OLD!..I AM NOT OLD!..I AM.....(Fuck!,I've just done me knee in)
cheers kids

Live 6.11,(soon L8 suite) macbkpro,Pwrbk 1.5, LV1, 2 Kaoss pads,Nostromo N52

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat May 30, 2009 7:06 am

H20nly wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:Yeah man I'm 30 and inherently creepy already so.. pretty much
29-30 is a hard transition but by the time you hit 31 you'll be feelin better. At 32 you'll be liberated.
+10

Man this is exactly what I'm living right now... 32 at the end of june.
Some existenzial matters through 29>30>31, now I feel so much better :mrgreen:

zsklar

Post by zsklar » Sat May 30, 2009 7:34 am

Age is really just a number if you take good care of yourself. I turned the big 4 0 in December and I have to say I still feel like I'm in my 20's and look like I'm in my young 30's. Sure, you feel more occasional aches and pains, but the mind is still as fresh as ever if you exercise, sleep, and eat well. Also, try to keep stress out of your life!

I will never let my age deprive me of performing or DJing. I grew up with electronic music! I was a rave DJ from 18 - 25. Produced music and DJ'ed from 25 - now and I will continue rocking it until the day I die or lose my hearing. No Frank Sinatra or Glen Miller Orch for me when I am 80! Daft Punk and Justice baby!

Regarding the clubs, I still look young, so I can get away with hanging out and not looking like a creepy old man. In fact, thankfully I am still able to pull some nice tail from the clubs from time to time. I don't mess with the young 20 year olds, but the upper 20's, younger 30's love a guy in their 40's. Just play it cool and don't act like a horny 20 year old.

I have definitely slowed down on the dancing front. It's sad, but I don't move the way I used to. However, I recreated myself and can blend in with the crowd. Usually when I am at a club, I am spinning nowadays anyway.

Don't let age ever get you down. You can't stop it, so just let things evolve naturally. I embrace getting older. One thing I do regret about not being younger is all the cool music tools being developed now and in the future. If I was just starting out in my teens or young 20's now!??! WOW! I just hope when I die, I can still create music in heaven.

Hopefully my new APC40 I am picking up tomorrow will give me a taste of what that going to be like. Heaven on earth!

:P :P :P :P

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat May 30, 2009 1:41 pm

...yeah just wait when you are older than the concert promoter's parents.... :lol: ...he liked the music but his jaw dropped when he saw that he booked a fourthy something...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Sage wrote:A guy I used to work with was in his 50's and where he's so into his music he'd always be finding out what gigs and events were on and we'd always go with him, we were all a mix of people in our 20's.

I don't think there ever comes a point to 'stop' clubbing, just don't go chatting up young girls.
+1
*** Image GAFM ***

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm

^ Ok, since we're on the topic...I gotto wonder how these guys who have mid-life crises end up finding women half their age...how does that actually work? Where do you find all the good who's-your-daddy women these days?
Image Image Image Image

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm

^ he? that's easy... there are more of those young 'who's your daddy' running around then real atractive, intelligent and matured woman.
*** Image GAFM ***

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat May 30, 2009 10:30 pm

beats me wrote:I'm still confused by DJs who can't dance for shit.
amen to that!

I used to do a vintage reggae weekly with a chap who had an amazing collection of 45's. He would occasionally drop a disc that would clear the floor. When I'd ask him why he would even consider playing that song at that time, he would reply "I like that song." Which is fine, but did not make it appropriate for the mood, or energy on the floor.

I always attributed this to the fact that he did not dance. He would stand stock still while playing some of the most danceable music available!

When I DJ I move all night! Regardless of what genre I'm spinning, I play music I love, period. It's great to hear it on a good system with a bunch of people cutting it up. I love getting into the mood & drama of the music & dancers. :)

And I have often had people come up to me & say how much they appreciated seeing a DJ who danced & actually enjoyed the music as they were.

Imaulle

Post by Imaulle » Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 pm

every time I go to "The Church" in Denver there is this guy that's at least in his late 50s early 60s at the club dancing. everything I see him I say to myself... "that is going to be me one day"

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 pm

^ Ha! I really miss the Church - great shows there, as well as great goth night.
Image Image Image Image

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun May 31, 2009 5:42 am

Imaulle wrote:every time I go to "The Church" in Denver there is this guy that's at least in his late 50s early 60s at the club dancing. everything I see him I say to myself... "that is going to be me one day"
I dislocated my knee on the dance floor while Donald Glaude was playing his set there in 04...

Don't remember seeing that guy though...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun May 31, 2009 6:20 am

Ha! I saw Glaude at the Church in Denver in 2004. Maybe we were at the same show!
Image Image Image Image