OT: Gots me a new toy today WOOT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dhilsabeck

Re: OT: Gots me a new toy today WOOT

Post by dhilsabeck » Sat May 30, 2009 9:02 am

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 am

dhilsabeck wrote:@ gjm, in all seriousness, what kind of wood is that?
I think it is Macrocarpa. Got it for free from a friend of the wifes who's hubby runs a tree felling business. They often get trees that they have to take away as a part of the contract. They call us when there is one to be had, I guess it saves them time and it saves me money.

I was really nervous at first using the saw. But after a while I got into the swing of things. Just got to go slow and careful. That Makita is a 16" 42cc. Your MS260 is a 50cc. I thought about getting the next size up, equivalent to yours, but I was not convinced that I would use it on really big stuff. In hindsight, I prolly should have got it, you never know when you are gonna come accross some really big wood! :D
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 am

now that's a chainsaw

Out Of My System

Post by Out Of My System » Sat May 30, 2009 9:48 am

That gave me a laugh this morning. Looking good, sir.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 am

Anyone used a con-saw? Had to rent one to cut up a concrete stand for an oil tank that I got rid of out of the back garden. F@ck I thought I'd lose a leg and I was covered in white dust, LOADS of manly grrr action though.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 10:05 am

Out Of My System wrote:That gave me a laugh this morning.
eeeexxcelent!! :D :lol:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 10:08 am

ikeaboy wrote:Anyone used a con-saw?
Actually, one of my upcoming jobs here at home involves renting one of these beasts. Got to put my fresh water pipe under/through my driveway. Those things scare me. soooo much noise and dust.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat May 30, 2009 10:58 am

I love that you have the gloves..
The hat,,,
and..
and..
THE RUBBER GUM BOOTS!!!!!
Safety first i say!
:lol: :lol:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 am

gjm wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:Anyone used a con-saw?
Actually, one of my upcoming jobs here at home involves renting one of these beasts. Got to put my fresh water pipe under/through my driveway. Those things scare me. soooo much noise and dust.
Well don't forget to get some dust masks like I did, I was breathing through a t-shirt like a muppet. You seem like a safety conscious type of bloke you'll be grand.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:54 am

Wait, how much does that cost in Europe?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat May 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Where's your chaps? I use a chainsaw all the time at work, can be fun. We use only Stihl gear too, very well made, amazing how much abuse they can take with so little maintenance.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sat May 30, 2009 2:33 pm

I have a 14" Poulan electric piece of crap. It'll get through stuff to a point, but it doesn't like going through more than about 6" thick pieces. It also has to be constantly manually oiled with a thumb button, which is bullshit. I'd love to get myself a gas Husqvarna or Stihl. I was jealously watching a neighbor across the backyard whack up huge logs with a Stihl a couple weeks ago.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat May 30, 2009 2:53 pm

Now I've got gearlust for a fucking german chainsaw. Wonderful.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat May 30, 2009 3:00 pm

gjm wrote: Image
HA! I just bought my first circular saw on Thursday. I bought the cheapest one they had at Home Depot ($40). It's a Chinese Ryobi, but for $40 it's amazing what you get. The thing is legit.

I needed to cut the width of my Ikea desktop by an inch and a half so my rack of gear could fit beside it. It was freaky! The desktop was composed of this combination of particle board with a papery cardboard innards. Sparks were flying, there was smoke, it was intense. The cardboard was igniting from the friction of the blade.

What cracks me up is that I couldn't find my carpenter glasses - or anything at all to protect my eyes, so I went without. Maybe it's some tough guy thing in the States, but whenever you admit to another dude that you wear eye protection when using power tools they will often laugh and say something like "I've been using those tools for years and I've never once worn eye goggles."

It's good to see that you are not one of these dudes! In fact, that space helmet thing you have there is fucking amazing. I would totally wear that when cutting. Nice one.

I'm really really really pleased with how my rack fits perfectly beside my desk now. Well worth the effort.