OT: Gots me a new toy today WOOT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OvertoneZero

Re: OT: Gots me a new toy today WOOT

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat May 30, 2009 3:07 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
I'm really really really pleased with how my chainsaw fits perfectly beside my desk now. Well worth the effort.

SalesDude: (In 7th grade woodshop teacher voice) Put 'yer glasses on!!

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat May 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote: What cracks me up is that I couldn't find my carpenter glasses - or anything at all to protect my eyes, so I went without. Maybe it's some tough guy thing in the States, but whenever you admit to another dude that you wear eye protection when using power tools they will often laugh and say something like "I've been using those tools for years and I've never once worn eye goggles.
said dude is a fucking dipshit. on most construction sites, it is required to wear eye protection at all times. there is nothing unmanly about protecting one's eyes from chunks of glass/dirt/metal/wood. let those fucking idiots lose one of the most precious gifts life gives-sight. not me.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 pm

^ jus' curious, how do you feel about earplugs at gigs?

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote: I'm really really really pleased with how my rack fits perfectly beside my desk now. Well worth the effort.
Pics or it didn't happen :)

Please :)

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sat May 30, 2009 3:35 pm

maybe until you see some one lose an eye because a grinding disk exploded.
Last edited by ThrowAway on Sat May 30, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sat May 30, 2009 3:37 pm

let me find some pics of the welding hood he was wearing.....

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sat May 30, 2009 3:47 pm

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Ive got a pic of a nearly severed thumb too but ill pm it to anyone who wants to see it. its very gory.
Last edited by ThrowAway on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat May 30, 2009 4:14 pm

contakt321 wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote: I'm really really really pleased with how my rack fits perfectly beside my desk now. Well worth the effort.
Pics or it didn't happen :)

Please :)
but of course...

note the cut off portion of the desk with burn marks and exposed internal cardboard:

see how nicely the rack fits into that little nook. before I cut it I had to jam it in there. it was a total pain if I needed to change a patch in the back, now it just easily rolls in and out like butter:

And yes, I realize that Genelec's aren't supposed to be backed into the corner like that, but it works out best like this in my space. I can move them away from the wall/corner by about 12 inches when I need to do critical listening stuff.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sat May 30, 2009 6:12 pm

gjm wrote:
dhilsabeck wrote:@ gjm, in all seriousness, what kind of wood is that?
I think it is Macrocarpa. Got it for free from a friend of the wifes who's hubby runs a tree felling business. They often get trees that they have to take away as a part of the contract. They call us when there is one to be had, I guess it saves them time and it saves me money.
Cypress. Nice looking trees. We pretty much burn birch and spruce in Alaska.

gjm wrote: That Makita is a 16" 42cc. Your MS260 is a 50cc. I thought about getting the next size up, equivalent to yours, but I was not convinced that I would use it on really big stuff. In hindsight, I prolly should have got it, you never know when you are gonna come accross some really big wood! :D
I think the difference would be negligible. I went overkill in the event that I would have to take down a big ass spruce.. Just as long as you keep your chain nice and sharp (tune it up every couple tanks or so with a file). It will increase your ability to cut as well as extend the life of your engine. It's good practice to get into.

gjm wrote: I was really nervous at first using the saw. But after a while I got into the swing of things. Just got to go slow and careful.
Yes, take that shit slow and careful. Don't stand directly above the bar in the event that it kicks back. Stand off to the side a little. And like Tarekith said, get some chaps as well. For those who don't know why, it's so that if you slice into your leg, the fibers from the chaps will tangle the into the saw and stop the chain from sawing the rest of your leg off. Scary, but it's serious business.

On that note, you should really consider getting a helmet....

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat May 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Pitch Black wrote:^ jus' curious, how do you feel about earplugs at gigs?
prolly should be done, and i reckon in ear monitoring might be a bit better for the talent (?). i've been to a few shows that i really should have wore earplugs, it sucks having ringing for a couple of days after a show. nowadays, i don't go to many shows, and i always tell myself before i go, i should get some earplugs, but i don't... i try to find a spot in the room that doesn't seem overtly loud. i love listening to music, it would severely suck to never hear tunes again. i think i'd rather be blind :)

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Homebelly wrote:Safety first i say!
Tarekith wrote:Wheres your chaps!!
dhilsabeck wrote:you should really consider getting a helmet...
Thanks for the nag guys. Even though I am very experienced with power tools having been a boat builder, the chainsaw scares me. I have had 3 nasty little accidents with power tools over the years, and now that I am older and in a music based profession, I am pretty keen to keep all of my bits. I shall get on to it ASAP. :D
Last edited by gjm on Sat May 30, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Jack my lumber baby.... :lol:

Lead solo with a chainsaw.... 8O
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:... that space helmet thing you have there is fucking amazing. I would totally wear that when cutting. Nice one.
Yeah, that thing has come in handy so many times. I use it mostly when I am using my weed wacker and my table saw. The ear protection (we call them ear muffs here :lol: ) are grade 5, but they are due to be replaced. I used to have a set of custom made silicon ear plugs that were designed to filter out the nasty frequencies of power tools and machinery, but I can't wear them anymore because, apparently, your ears never stop growing and so after about 5 years you need to replace them for proper fit. I haven't got round to doing that.

Your studio setup looks cool... and so clean :D

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm

She is wearing nice chaps!! :o